walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Hill Rage - A cautionary tale

Re: Hill Rage - A cautionary tale

Postby rohan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:42 pm

Bizarre behaviour. I am always dumping my stuff, all over the hills but I always come back for it. Wierd also that their supposition was suicide . My first thought would be "smart move by someone" . If the gear looked like it had been there for a while it might up my concern but only then to "accident maybe". They would have got a bit of advice from Mountain Rescue though if they had called them.
On the otherside of things I remember a man telling me and my walking companion that we SHOULD have dumped our bags as we walked from Carn Eighe to Benn Fhoinnlaidh. We gentlly told him that we were going on from Fhionnlaidh to Mullach na Dheiragain and Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan to finish the 6 around Glen Affric Y.H. He was rather put out and I think he had been showing off to his companions about how "hill-wise" he was. Maybe the same affliction suffered by your guy?
rohan

Postby mynthdd2 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:44 pm

A rucksack belonging a missing German tourist has been found during searches of cliff tops on the Isle of Lewis.
Torsten Kulke was last seen near Aird Uig on the island at about 18:00 on Friday.
Air and land searches have been made of the area and on Wednesday search teams found the rucksack containing personal items belonging to the 48-year-old.
Police Scotland said his family have been informed of the find. Searches for Mr Kulke are continuing.

RIP Torsten
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby Magoo82 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:30 am

I often leave my pack to scoot up a summit. Spidean Coire nan Clach on Beinn Eighe - most people do that there. There is absolutely nothing wrong with what you did. The guy was clearly just a bully who would rather project his hatred of himself onto other people than be reduced to a babbling shambling mess by confronting his own self-loathing.
Magoo82
Mountain Walker

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:2   Islands:15

Postby LeithySuburbs » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:09 am

mynthdd2 wrote:A rucksack belonging a missing German tourist has been found during searches of cliff tops on the Isle of Lewis.
Torsten Kulke was last seen near Aird Uig on the island at about 18:00 on Friday.
Air and land searches have been made of the area and on Wednesday search teams found the rucksack containing personal items belonging to the 48-year-old.
Police Scotland said his family have been informed of the find. Searches for Mr Kulke are continuing.

RIP Torsten

I don't see the relevance of this post. Care to elaborate?
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:50 pm

LeithySuburbs wrote:
mynthdd2 wrote:A rucksack belonging a missing German tourist has been found during searches of cliff tops on the Isle of Lewis.

RIP Torsten

I don't see the relevance of this post. Care to elaborate?

I think the point is that this rucksack was possibly left by someone who didn't come back for it. I don't know the circumstances, or where it was found, but if I had come across it on the cliff tops I reckon I would have thought someone had left it to make it easier to visit the shoreline. Similar to RTC leaving his to make a visit to the summit easier.
Sunset tripper

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion