walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

photobucket

Re: photobucket

Postby litljortindan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:36 am

Just to confirm some of what's already been said, I uploaded to WH with no problems then switched to Picasa/Google+ which stopped working properly for new photos/albums a couple of years ago then switched to Facebook links which didn't work reliably then switched to Flickr which is working fine so depressed to see that there may be writing on the wall for that. And just had a thought that maybe YouTube slideshows could offer a way out of Flickr if need be. I do like Flickr though, would be a shame if it came a cropper. Just had a look, in fact, at YouTube slideshows and that might be a way of resurrecting some of those non-functioning newer Google+ albums since there's an option to import from Google.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:49 am

mountainsofscotland wrote:If you want to download all your photos off of Photobucket you can use FTP instead of using the fairly awful Download Album option.

Would you mind explaining how to do this in a bit more detail?
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby mountainsofscotland » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:52 pm

Mal Grey wrote:
mountainsofscotland wrote:If you want to download all your photos off of Photobucket you can use FTP instead of using the fairly awful Download Album option.

Would you mind explaining how to do this in a bit more detail?

Download an FTP client such as SmartFTP which you can trial free for a month.
Set the hostname to ftp.photobucket.com
Login to a session using your photobucket username and password
Now you can transfer all files at once or folder by folder to your local drive

They don't seem to advertise that you can do this but it works!
mountainsofscotland

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:376   Hewitts:126
Wainwrights:150   Islands:49

Postby spiderwebb » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:35 am

I had considered using one of these, having noticed a fair few folk using links on their reports but may stay as I am. I've got 30,000 odd pics (not all walking trips jeez :lol: ) taking up 130Gb, currently stored on two PC's and a separate portable drive.
Think I'll keep it that way :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby mountainsofscotland » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:52 pm

spiderwebb wrote:I had considered using one of these, having noticed a fair few folk using links on their reports but may stay as I am. I've got 30,000 odd pics (not all walking trips jeez :lol: ) taking up 130Gb, currently stored on two PC's and a separate portable drive.
Think I'll keep it that way :D

Yes, I have all my originals on three different hard drives but the ones on Photobucket were all resized down to a size for fast loading on trip reports. I wouldn't store my pics on cloud only.
mountainsofscotland

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:376   Hewitts:126
Wainwrights:150   Islands:49

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:47 am

BobMcBob wrote:I know WH recommends linking to external sites for images but I've always though it more sensible from a technical point of view to host the images on the same site as the text. That way you know the images will always be available for the site to use. I suppose it's a pain uploading everything twice but it's probably what I'll be doing from now on.

Just spotted this - and we need to update so thanks! The original reason that we recommended this was because having all the photos on a single private server means it tends to grind to a halt if lots of photos are being requested from the same server at once.

Since that was written we have actually have changed the way that Walkhighlands serves photos to improve this - the photos uploaded to our forum (and elsewhere on Walkhighlands) are now served by Amazon's Cloudfront content distribution network, which means they should always work well regardless of volume traffic (though it's more expensive!) So the text was out of date.

In view of this - and following what has happened to Photobucket (and the potential for it to happen to more photo sites) I've changed the photo upload text to go back to having uploading direct to Walkhighlands as being the first option. This way your report will be safe from any future photo hosting site changes.

I'm unsure if we should do anything about all the photobucket reports (and private sites) with broken link photos - we could mark them all with the private blog post box so they don't appear on the hill or walk pages (report owners would be able to change them back again or edit and fix them), but then some of them might have text that those looking for specific hills might be interested in. Maybe we could remove the 'likes' on reports with photobucket photos so they go to the bottom of the lists?
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion