walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

photobucket

photobucket

Postby mash tun » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:35 pm

I wonder how many on this site are affected by photobucket's policy change and the new annual charge of $399 for hosting photos linked to other sites such as walkhighlands ?

I also wonder how it could affect their business or if other photo hosting sites may follow suit ?

BBC - Amazon and eBay images broken by Photobucket's 'ransom demand'
mash tun

Re: photobucket

Postby malky_c » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:54 pm

Pain in the arse! I'm in the process of moving about 11 months worth of photos over to Flickr because of this. It's always a risk I suppose, and most of us have got used to (and a bit too dependant on) free stuff on the internet. I'd probably consider paying in the future, but not photobucket!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby BobMcBob » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:57 pm

Use "The Cloud" they said, it'll be better they said. Until they changed the terms.

I delberately removed referenced to Photobucket from the Photo Comp instructions some ago after rumours of this emerged.

I've not got a problem with them charging money, but the rates are extortionate to the point of farce and making it retrospective is simply spiting your existing users. I predict they go out of business in 12 months.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:26 pm

Until a couple of years ago I used what I now call Photobucketofpoo exclusively for my photos, both as storage and for linked images to hundreds of "trip reports" for a canoeing website in particular. I have 20000 images on their site. This means I have a Plus100 account, which costs me $99 a year that I pay grudgingly, just so the links aren't broken in my historic reports/blogs.
PBofPoo became too much hassle for all new storage/links, and I switched to Flickr, where I have 1TB of capacity for free (10000 images has used just 7% of this).

It seems that if you already have a Plus account, links may still work (mine do as of this morning), but I sure as heck wouldn't recommend anybody choosing it! If the links die, my account will immediately be closed and they'll lose that income.

I do not have time to even consider moving all my images, and re-linking them to my reports/blogs, but fortunately everything is backed up somewhere on hard drives or old laptops...
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Sgurr » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:15 pm

My links are still live. I think I pay 2.99 dollars a month, though I may need to check that I haven't accidentally agreed to pay more. I can't see how advertising can make everything free for everybody always. I sometimes wonder if Paul won't be forced to charge people for using this site. I have never knowingly bought anything that is advertised here. The ads for sanitary products that have pursued me since I posted on chickadee's thread about female problems and hill walking are as useless as the previous ones for funeral plans that preceded them (probably as a result of this viewtopic.php?f=9&t=62760).
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Robinho08 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:15 am

Oooft, that's going to affect a lot of trip reports. I'm on Flickr, hopefully they don't follow suit. I used to have a pro account which cost around £20 a year. :?
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:07 am

Thank God I never used Photobucket!

At the moment I'm on Google Photos (former Picasa). When they closed Picasa, I was worried that all my links from old reports (about 400 TRs now :shock: ) would suddenly disappear, so I backed everything up on my external drive and on CD's, but re-linking thousands of photos would take ages and a lot of effort, too. Lucky me, after the change, my links are still working.

I don't know what I'll do if Google start charging for storage - they already do for extra space, but I' still far away from reaching my free limit...

Re: the random ads. I am pestered by Trans-Siberian Railway and Europe is Doomed. Suggestion i should move to Siberia????
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby malky_c » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:25 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Thank God I never used Photobucket!

At the moment I'm on Google Photos (former Picasa). When they closed Picasa, I was worried that all my links from old reports (about 400 TRs now :shock: ) would suddenly disappear, so I backed everything up on my external drive and on CD's, but re-linking thousands of photos would take ages and a lot of effort, too. Lucky me, after the change, my links are still working.

How do you link to your photos? I used to use Picasa, but when it changed to Google Photos they removed the ability to generate links (although as you say, it didn't affect the existing ones). That's when I moved to Photobucket, but it may have changed now. I had another go at getting links from it the other day, but couldn't work out if it's possible or not.
malky_c

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:10 pm

malky_c wrote:How do you link to your photos? I used to use Picasa, but when it changed to Google Photos they removed the ability to generate links (although as you say, it didn't affect the existing ones). That's when I moved to Photobucket, but it may have changed now. I had another go at getting links from it the other day, but couldn't work out if it's possible or not.

Is your former Picasa account linked to a google account? Mine was, so I simply logged in through google photos: https://photos.google.com/. My old picasa folders were still there. I think they automatically linked all pictures stored in picasa to google photos. It works in similar way, just choose a picture, right click the "copy image location" and then paste the link to TR using "[img]" button. The new links are veeery long though :? If linking 20-30 pictures, it makes the draft TR awfully long. But still easier than moving all photos to a different service.

That's how it looks like now. You can display photos in albums or by date. I always preferred "by album":
gogphot.JPG

Hope that helps :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby BobMcBob » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:37 pm

It does raise the issue of reliability and trustworthiness with "Cloud" storage like this. It's worth being aware that Flickr are owned by Yahoo, whose finances are in terrible shape. There has been no active development of Flickr for years and features that were promised when they switched everybody to 1TB of storage have never appeared. I think it's on shaky ground and I wouldn't be surprised if Yahoo are watching Photobucket very closely to see how this goes. Google look solid for now, but you can never predict what'll happen. Always make sure you've got a local copy (I've got a stack of USB discs with my photos, music etc on, I'm up to 5 TB now but it's cheap and safe)

I know WH recommends linking to external sites for images but I've always though it more sensible from a technical point of view to host the images on the same site as the text. That way you know the images will always be available for the site to use. I suppose it's a pain uploading everything twice but it's probably what I'll be doing from now on.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:06 pm

Flickr all the way for me - at the moment, 1Tb free which is literally hundreds of thousands of photo's.

I do also have them on my Desk & Laptop :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby malky_c » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:32 pm

BlackPanther wrote:
malky_c wrote:How do you link to your photos? I used to use Picasa, but when it changed to Google Photos they removed the ability to generate links (although as you say, it didn't affect the existing ones). That's when I moved to Photobucket, but it may have changed now. I had another go at getting links from it the other day, but couldn't work out if it's possible or not.

Is your former Picasa account linked to a google account? Mine was, so I simply logged in through google photos: https://photos.google.com/. My old picasa folders were still there. I think they automatically linked all pictures stored in picasa to google photos. It works in similar way, just choose a picture, right click the "copy image location" and then paste the link to TR using "[img]" button. The new links are veeery long though :? If linking 20-30 pictures, it makes the draft TR awfully long. But still easier than moving all photos to a different service.

That's how it looks like now. You can display photos in albums or by date. I always preferred "by album":

Hope that helps :D

Doesn't seem to work for me - might be something to do with the privacy settings. Never mind - thanks for the explanation :D . Not too bothered as Flickr is nicer anyway, and my old reports are ok (for now). Should have gone straight there.
malky_c

Postby electricfly » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:14 am

Some weird goings on with this photophucket lark...

I knew my pics had gone down when facebook recently did a memory share thingy of my Kintail 9 report.
Strangely, however, when reading this thread I saw below a walkhighlands link to a thread which featured one of my pics of Nevis beyond the Pap of Glencoe as a link. Weird how this seems to be a third party usage that works, but yet I can't use the same photo link on my reports... hmmm... :thumbdown:
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:03 pm

Was pointed to this text, apparently its somewhere on the Photobucketof poo site, but I haven't seen it myself.

"Moving forward, new and legacy free account users will NOT have third party
hosting available.
If you were a Plus Account subscriber in good standing as of June 1, 2017,
you will continue to have all the privileges you have enjoyed including 3rd
Party Hosting until December 31, 2018 as long as you maintain your
subscription."

As I am a PLus Account subscriber, it seems my images will remain for over a year IF, I chose to renew. That's a big IF, believe me, I am extremely reluctant to pay them any more money, knowing I will eventually lose my images unless I pay the extortionate new price, which I will never do.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby mountainsofscotland » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:11 am

Have just moved 20,000 photos in 800 albums off of Photobucket. I was a Plus account user, so had until 2018 to pay $399 or move elsewhere. Decided to move elsewhere now as Photobucket has been unreliable in recent months as well as now trying to extort money from its users. Already paying separately for web hosting anyway so have just uploaded them to there instead.

If you want to download all your photos off of Photobucket you can use FTP instead of using the fairly awful Download Album option.
mountainsofscotland

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:376   Hewitts:126
Wainwrights:150   Islands:49

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion