walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

south and north glenshiel ridges over two days?

south and north glenshiel ridges over two days?

Postby doggy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:49 pm

Hi all. i was planning on getting the south ridge in soon and I planned to camp over on the ridge finishing it on day two. But now I'm thinking to try and get both ridges in over two days, is it possible or woulds i need a bit longer?

Cheers.
doggy

Munros:96   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:2   

Re: south and north glenshiel ridges over two days?

Postby walkingpoles » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:34 am

In the range of doable if your fitness levels are really good.

Stash your tent, sleeping gear, food for the evening and for the second day etc somewhere strategic along the road before embarking on the first ridge. And then leave it there in the morning and pick it up by car after you finished the second ridge.

Have some escape plans ready, if you see that you can't pull it through. Especially the sister-ridge is quite strenuous. I suggest making a timetable.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby harper » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:27 pm

Hi, I did South and North ridges over two days last May, both days setting off from the Cluanie Inn with a car parked at the end of the days walk. For me the hardest part was day two on the North side, it was a slightly harder walk and even more so with heavy legs from the first day. The way we did it we had a bail-out option after Saileag on day two, but didn't need it. Felt quite drained after it all but glad I managed it. I'd say if you are relatively fit then it is definitely doable.
harper
Mountain Walker

Munros:152   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:2

Postby Robinho08 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:29 pm

Definitely doable if you're fit. Not much water to be had once on the ridges though. So factor that in with your plans.
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby mrssanta » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:24 pm

I'd say you have to be pretty fast and fit. We did the whole North lot over an evening and 3 days with 3 camps. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=34150 If you just mean the Brothers and Sisters then still it is a long way, if it were me I would take longer and enjoy it.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby doggy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:21 pm

Thanks all.

I was thinking of parking at thre Cluanie if it was allowed.

The rough plan was to do at least the south ridge and camp over. i prefer camping up high but Im not going to camp high just for the sake of it, if I had time I would come down off the hill and camp low if there is anywhere to camp.

If I could get a lift into Inversheil to start the north ridge that would be fantastic, but who knows?

Are the ridges decent enough to wear trainers? I find i can move a lot faster in my running shoes once I'm up high. I'll just carry my boots.

If I were to stash my tent etc it would need to be quite low down I expect.
doggy

Postby harper » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:41 pm

You'd get away with trainers for much of the brothers end of the North ridge and a lot of the South ridge. The sisters end is a bit rougher though. From what i remember there is a path almost the whole way on both. Also reading through the posts made me think, we did the 3 brothers & 3 munro sisters on the North side with possibly one other sister, but definitely not all 5 sisters
harper
Mountain Walker

Munros:152   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:2

Postby basscadet » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:50 pm

Midge season now, so camp high until September would be my advice.. :wink:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby doggy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:21 am

basscadet wrote:Midge season now, so camp high until September would be my advice.. :wink:

in that case maybe it's best to do the south ridge and then head up the north ridge in the middle and go right towards Sailage, camp then do the brothers and head back to the pub.
doggy

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:05 am

You are allowed to park in the car park across the road from the Cluanie Inn and it is is free. The parking charge gravy train hasn't travelled this far north yet - thank god :D
All they ask is that you leave details of your plans for safety reasons.
All the best :D
Sunset tripper

Postby doggy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:59 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:You are allowed to park in the car park across the road from the Cluanie Inn and it is is free. The parking charge gravy train hasn't travelled this far north yet - thank god :D
All they ask is that you leave details of your plans for safety reasons.
All the best :D

I'm pretty sure I would go in after for at least one pint and a bite to eat, I'll be tired and hungry.
doggy

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion