walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Crowberry Tower rockfall conditions

Crowberry Tower rockfall conditions

Postby gman » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:52 pm

I heard last month that there was some rockfall at the Crowberry Tower descent leaving the overhanging block a bit precarious, thought I'd have a look after doing curved ridge today.

Scramble up the tower:

Block overhanging the descent:

Below the block - some of the wall underneath it collapsed when someone used it for a handhold so there's less wall supporting the block.

I'm assuming this is where it collapsed, this wall is supporting the large block so it's under pressure and showing cracks in places. There's no real need to hold any part of it so I'd avoid touching it but the block still looks OK despite being a bit less secure.

Descent route is fine:

The tower over there is supposed to have the best view of Crowberry & might be another option after completing Curved Ridge so I went over and had a look.

Nice scramble at various grades depending on the line chosen, or a walk up the gully leading to the tower.

Crowberry Tower from over here. I reckon Crowberry is still OK but this other tower would make a good alternative.

GPS route of Curved Ridge, both towers and Munros.

curved ridge 12-7-17.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion