walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

...time to hang up my boots?

Re: ...time to hang up my boots?

Postby LDPWalker » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:04 pm

mynthdd2

I'm 62 and I will go on for many years more yet, I love it too much! These days I tend to do less hard climbing (the problem is not the ups, but steep downs - they play havoc with my knees). I have just returned from doing the 130 mile Moray Way which, apart from a few climbs, is largely on level railway beds and gentle coast paths. It was a super walk and caused no knee problems. There are plenty of less demanding walks but beautiful and interesting walks like the Fife Coast, the Norfolk, Suffolk and Northumberland coasts. I did the length of the Severn a few years ago and the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, again both not too demanding but lovely walks. In short, I would recommend looking for things with less climbing and lots of interest.

Roger
LDPWalker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:18
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:71
Wainwrights:9   

Postby litljortindan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:50 pm

Certainly thinking about hanging up my astroturf shoes but I keep going back. I'd agree with the consensus of keeping going but making it easier for yourself, a process I'm already engaged with myself at a mere fifty years of age. I do mostly wee hills and coastal walks these days and I really enjoy that.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby BobMcBob » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:36 pm

I'm pushing 50 now and with a back injury I'm finding I can't do what I used to, but getting into the hills is one of the things that makes me happy and I've found that while I've had to adjust my expectations of what I can do this hasn't affected my enjoyment of doing it at all. I bought my first walking pole the other week. Wish I'd had one 20 years ago :D
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby spiderwebb » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:25 am

Cripes I hope thats not retirement age for hill walking :lol: but it does creep up on you. I've noticed that 'hill fitness' needs to be maintained, at whatever level you require for your own personal endeavours. It use to be something I didn't have to think about but as I approach 'the age' a few weeks off can set me back a fair bit. Years ago I never 'trained' as in gym or running etc, none of that ever interested me (still doesn't), but luckily being a slight build (except a certain area around the waist line, that fluctuates :lol: ) I never had to do anything to retain enough fitness to enjoy what I loved.
As been said i don't think you can fight nature, walking the hills in all weathers teaches you that, but I'm sure there are things you can do, and must, as any sport/hobby is less enjoyable if you're suffering, and we all know that feeling, ie not having suitable gear on a bad weather day :D
You may need to set your sights lower, and I for one have started looking at places that I might never have done before. An old back injury appears to have returned of late (waiting to see an 'expert') but luckily it doesn't seem to affect me walking.
If you're a true hill loving person, then it will be what makes you who you are, and to that extent, yes fight it, as you'll miss it, and keeping going will maintain some level of fitness into those later years; you've made it this far and that is far better and more fulfilling than just staying home :D Keep well :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby EileanB » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:40 am

When age and heart trouble curtailed my Father's hill-walking ambitions, he found all the hills in the area you could drive some of the way up. He got much more satisfaction from missing out the bottom few (hundred?) feet in the interests of being able to reach the summit and see the views than from sticking to low level walking, and we found lots of places where we could drive to a col and do a manageable walk from there.
EileanB
Walker

Postby mynthdd2 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:39 pm

not sure about a boat unless it is a Calmac and has RET..... (and how long will that last!!??)
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby mynthdd2 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:45 pm

PS sorry my 'boat' reference refers to an earlier reply but thank you so much to all the encouraging posts - just seems weird I suppose that I am now lowering my sights re big days out after having taken it for granted for so long. However, I have a mountain of memories so pass me the rocking chair and a Talisker
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Postby mynthdd2 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:57 am

belay my first whinge - I have just returned from an excellent week's walking in the Five Finger mountains of North Cyprus - all the old fun came flooding back and I feel as fit as a butchers dog
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Postby Sgurr » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:50 pm

Was worried about going to Wales last month to finish my final six Welsh Marilyns , as they were all hills husband had done already i.e. when he was young and fit. However we managed to do Elider Fawr, Y Garn, Glyder Fawr, Canrnedd Llewellyn, Tryfan and Plynlimon (all but the latter over Munro height) in the fortnight we were there. Most of us got to the top of most things though our ages are 80, nearly 80, 78,77 & 77 and at 78 I did them all. I think it is all a matter of good genes & not stopping walking. I am sure the age of hill walkers is increasing, we were only just over 60 when we did the Ring of Steall and someone first asked "Do you mind if I ask how old you are?" But these days half the people we meet look as if they could be past retirement age. The really impressive person was the 80 year old. It turns out that pushing his late wife's wheel chair for over 30 years and keeping a huge garden under control have made him as fit, if not fitter than the rest of us, though he has been unable to do hill walking until three years ago. The only problem is that he gets a bit nervous in cloud, but age should be no barrier to taking up hill walking either.

Never hang up those boots. There will come a day when you put them on and just can't walk a step, and that will be the time to call it a day. (Unless you stop enjoying it.)
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby mynthdd2 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:42 am

that is so encouraging - thanks!
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Postby Bothybob » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:47 pm

An auld pal of mine (now gone) used to say when yi get up in the mornin pit yir bits on no yer baffies, and at 78 I am still hillwalking, last week did the circuit of the Blackwater dam, my problem now is lack of balance
Bothybob

Postby mynthdd2 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:48 am

Grey Pride!!!!!
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Postby Brian Mcculloch » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:19 am

mynthdd2 wrote:I am 61and have had over 40 years hillwalking. Now? my knees sound like a box of Rice Chrispies as I even walk up stairs - my hip aches after a walk and my feet look like the before photo in an ad for healthy looking feet products.

I am carrying more fat and less muscle which makes the walk even more laborious rather than the fun it used to be - my planned routes are getting shorter and have less altitude - I have little or no enthusiasm for gear shops...

is this inevitable or should I try to defy nature?

aaaaagh

A

Certain things in life are inevitable but there's always that little possibility to defy all odds. I would say do not stress yourself too much and just follow your intuitions.
Brian Mcculloch
Hill Bagger

Postby Steve B » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:48 pm

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion