walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

A9 laybys

A9 laybys

Postby mrssanta » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:36 pm

This is a question I always wonder about when driving on the A9. Does anybody know why the laybys are numbered? Or indeed, why they are not numbered on any other A roads?
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: A9 laybys

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:48 pm

Good question, I have wondered that myself I think it's to assist with locating breadowns and accidents etc. (in some remote areas prone to poor road conditions)
The A9 and the line it takes now from Perth to Inverness is fairly unique in it was a long distance route built pretty much as one plan with all new laybys planned into the route and I guess someone had the good idea to number them.
I think the numbers stop at the Cromarty bridge or they used to.
Be good to hear if anyone has more info or different info on the reason for them :D
Sunset tripper

Postby jupe1407 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:53 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Good question, I have wondered that myself I think it's to assist with locating breadowns and accidents etc. (in some remote areas prone to poor road conditions)
The A9 and the line it takes now from Perth to Inverness is fairly unique in it was a long distance route built pretty much as one plan with all new laybys planned into the route and I guess someone had the good idea to number them.
I think the numbers stop at the Cromarty bridge or they used to.
Be good to hear if anyone has more info or different info on the reason for them :D

This makes sense to me tbh. Anyone breaking down somewhere like Drumochter pass in Winter would probably want to see a recovery vehicle sooner rather than later.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby mrssanta » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:55 pm

Thanks for your thoughts. Much what I was thinking, and it is very useful especially for knowing where to park for the various Drumochter Munros.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby willsdad » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:13 pm

Going by the marker posts other roads have, it's as you're thinking.
When you're in the middle of nowhere it gives a guide to your position.

Assuming they are numbered heading north, it's like a stairway to heaven :D
willsdad
Backpacker

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:6

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion