walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Hiking Suilven

Hiking Suilven

Postby vijay0828 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:47 am

Hi all - we are looking to hike Suilven in late Aug. We had a few questions:

1. We are considering whether to go from Glen Canisp lodge or Inverkirkaig. We understand Glen Canisp is around 20km round trip. I think Inverkirkaig is a bit longer - can you advise how long?

2. Which route would you advise? Is the path from Inverkirkaig decently marked and ok to follow?

3. We understand that both routes have sections that are boggy:
(a) On Glen Canisp, it is the part after the Stalkers' Path. How boggy does it get and how long is that section?
(b) From Inverkirkaig, how much bogginess is there?

4. Once you through the boggy section, how easy is it to find the path to the summit?

thanks in advance!

Vijay
vijay0828
Mountaineer

Re: Hiking Suilven

Postby larry groo » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:31 am

We went from the Glen Canisp Lodge side a few years ago during a scorching August.

A 22km round trip. Taking 8 hrs 30 including stops and faff on the summit.

It's a Landrover track all the way to the wee pile of stones marking the turnoff point making for easy walking with the mountain looming ahead.

From the turn off the gradient increases gradually and becomes quite boggy the closer you get to the base of the path to the ridge. It doesn't last though and soon you will see the obvious way up the face.

The pull up to the ridge is steep and loose, nothing to worry about though. From the ridge, it's fairly straightforward. Turn right and head up through the wall and clamber over the rocks to the top!

Enjoy it. A wonderful mountain from any aspect. :D
larry groo

Postby jmarkb » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:14 pm

I've done both approaches: The Inverkirkaig one is a couple of km longer and the boggy section (essentially from the Falls of Kirkaig to the point where the path splits of at the far end of the Fionn Loch) goes on for longer, though the Falls themselves are a highlight. The Glencanisp Lodge route is easy walking until the turn off from the track, and the boggy section is only a km or so. On either side the routefinding is straightforward, except that it's easy to miss the short cut across the headland just after the Falls of Kirkaig. There's not much in it, but on balance, I'd recommend the Glencanisp route.

It's well worth visiting the eastern top (Meall Mheadonach) as well as the main summit: there is a short exposed bit of scrambling just before the eastern summit which is tricky if wet, and has to be reversed.

I don't want to throw your plans into disarray, but, as fine a mountain as it is to look at, I don't rate Suilven as the best walk in the area: I prefer the full circuit of Ben Mor Coigach from Culnacraig ( https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=59830 ) and Quinag ( https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/ullapool/quinag.shtml )
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Ben Nachie » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:05 pm

I've climbed Suilven from Glencanisp Lodge, and also as a traverse from Elphin to Little Assynt. It's a fine hill, but I agree with jmarkb, Ben More Coigach and Quinag are superb. Another favourite of mine is Cul Mor. The views from Bod a' Mhadail (the north east spur) are amongst the best in the world.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby joshquigg » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:27 pm

I've only done it from the Glen Canisp side but the bogginess has very much reduced this year since work has begun on the path restoration. The path from Glen Canisp is very good any how so it's just the last mile or so that could be boggy, from where the new path is not yet finished, it was fine when we were there in June though (last year was a different story but it had been very wet). You could always consider a night in Suileag bothy to lessen the walk in, nice place to wake up in with a view of Suilven out of the bothy window. Whichever direction you come in from, enjoy, it's a magical place, I hope the weather plays ball for you.
joshquigg
Munro compleatist

Munros:11   Corbetts:8
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:62   

Postby BobMcBob » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:51 pm

jmarkb wrote:I don't want to throw your plans into disarray, but, as fine a mountain as it is to look at, I don't rate Suilven as the best walk in the area:

As I've probably said before, the worst views in the entire area are the views from the top of Suilven - because you can't see Suilven :)
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby denfinella » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:03 pm

vijay0828 wrote:Hi all - we are looking to hike Suilven in late Aug. We had a few questions:

1. We are considering whether to go from Glen Canisp lodge or Inverkirkaig. We understand Glen Canisp is around 20km round trip. I think Inverkirkaig is a bit longer - can you advise how long?

2. Which route would you advise? Is the path from Inverkirkaig decently marked and ok to follow?

3. We understand that both routes have sections that are boggy:
(a) On Glen Canisp, it is the part after the Stalkers' Path. How boggy does it get and how long is that section?
(b) From Inverkirkaig, how much bogginess is there?

4. Once you through the boggy section, how easy is it to find the path to the summit?

thanks in advance!

Vijay

Hi Vijay,

We basically did both of your routes last week. We ascended from Glencanisp and descended via Inverkirkaig, with (mostly) road walking to join it up at the lower end to make a circuit. Took us just over 10 hours, and probably about 17 miles - hoping to put up a proper report soon.

Glencanisp route only has a very short boggy section now due to path improvements. The path is clear throughout.

Inverkirkaig route is (I think) slightly more scenic, and the sun lights up Suilven better from that side. However a fair amount of the approach is quite boggy (though not exceptionally so), and therefore probably an hour or so longer in time. The path is pretty clear, though you'd still need a map.

Or do the circular route like us!
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby vijay0828 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:16 pm

thanks for all the tips, everyone. We have come across Ben Mor Coigach and Quinag, but were not sure how to fit them in along with Suilven. We will definitely look more into them as a possible alternative to Suilven. I have read elsewhere on this forum that some hikers consider the Suilven walk not so exciting and the main highlight is the summit itself. Is that the general consensus and why you recommend the other hikes instead?

Also, how easy are the paths to follow on Ben Mor Coigach and Quinag? Are they as easy as Suilven?
Last edited by vijay0828 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vijay0828
Mountaineer

Postby vijay0828 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:16 pm

vijay0828
Mountaineer

Postby denfinella » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:42 pm

We also did Quinag last week, and would also probably rate it slightly more highly than Suilven. Quinag is dramatic from start to finish, whereas the long approach to Suilven, while beautiful, perhaps doesn't have the same level of interest. They're both superb hills though.

Paths on Quinag are excellent, though with a few slight scrambly bits. Just as good as the Glencanisp route to Suilven, and better than the Inverkirkaig route to Suilven.
denfinella
Wanderer

Postby spiderwebb » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:28 am

Read with interest as I still want a winter summit camp on this one, a spectacular mountain, makes the jaw drop every time I see it :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby jmarkb » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:57 am

The Ben Mor Coigach round lacks clear paths after the main summit (going anticlockwise). Most of the routefinding is straightforward, but the area around the main summit, which is set off the side of the ridge line, can be confusing in mist.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby denfinella » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:40 am

Suilven report from last week taking in both routes is now published: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=74217
denfinella
Wanderer

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:45 am

BobMcBob wrote:
As I've probably said before, the worst views in the entire area are the views from the top of Suilven - because you can't see Suilven :)

I know what you mean Bob but there is a good view of Suilven from Suilven. :D
P1030544 (640x523).jpg

I've walked in from Lochinver and Inverkirkaig and they are both good walks. From Lochinver is a good bit easier underfoot but from Inverkirkaig edges it for me. The Falls of Kirkaig are worth a visit on their own.

It is true to say Suilven does have good competition in that part of the world. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby BobMcBob » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:39 am

Sunset tripper wrote:I know what you mean Bob but there is a good view of Suilven from Suilven. :D

That, sir, is a good point :D
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion