walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

I Need some Information

I Need some Information

Postby hugo_amaral » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:22 pm

Good afternoon
My name is Hugo Amaral and I am head of a group of Portuguese scouts aged 14 to 18 years. We intend to make the Great Glen Way in August 2011.
Can someone tell me some cheap places where we can stay?
In your opinion, it is advisable to make this journey with a group so young?
One of our greatest fears is the weather, usually in early August is the weather like in Scotland? Does it ever get good weather?

Thank you in advance!

Hugo
hugo_amaral
Mountaineer

Re: I Need some Information

Postby kerrera » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:00 pm

The only reply you should get, is try it yourself first.
kerrera
Scrambler

Munros:45   Corbetts:14
Sub 2000:19   

Postby FLaVrT » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:45 pm

Now, now, Kerrera. Some of us don't need to learn about electricity by sticking a finger in a socket. Pray note, there's more to life than trying to stifle discussion on an intertube forum with a snarky backhand. If you have no interest in this particular topic then take a hike, eh?

I am particularly interested in Hugo's questions for my own trip and hope for a generous display of responses. Also, if you were to walk Scotland for the 1st time, is this the hike you would take, or can you suggest a better introduction to the Highlands?
FLaVrT
Scrambler

Postby sloosh » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:54 pm

kerrera wrote:The only reply you should get, is try it yourself first.

Do you mean come on over to Scotland on a fact-finding expedition?
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby janeysdey » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:43 pm

Hi Hugo,

I'm sorry you got such an abrupt reply from Kerrerra to your first post on the site, stick around and you'll find we're a friendly bunch on this site, and in my experience, you'll usually find several people will try to help whatever the problem.

First things first, if you haven't already done so read the walk report on this site at Walks>Highlands>Loch Ness>the Great Glen Way, and you'll also find more reports on the route in the Walk Reports Scotland forum.

There is no chance whatever of finding cheap accommodation in this area, particularly in August which is the busiest time of year for tourists: in fact I asked the same question on this forum in March/April as I had planned to do the walk in May but prices quoted then were too much for me. As things turned out, I had to defer the walk and I'm doing it later this month, but the relatively few places available at this time of year are still expensive. My wife and I have decided instead to rent a cottage in Fort Augustus for a week, and I'll walk the route in stages by driving my car to the end of each stage, getting the bus from there to the start of the stage, walking back to the car, and driving back to Fort Augustus. It isn't as complicated as it sounds, and it is actually cheaper than B&B for one, which was my original intention. If you are planning to travel to Scotland in your own transport, then you could possibly prebook accommodation for your your group in a hostel or camp site, and walk the route as I plan to do.

As to your group, I'd say go for it, you should be OK as it couldn't be considered remote country, I'd also suggest you contact a youth organisation such as the Scouts (www.scouts.org.uk/) or the Boys Brigade (www.boys_brigade.org.uk/) either of which I'm sure would be pleased to offer advice and assistance.

As to the weather, well, it could be anything from -30 to +30 Centigrade, sun, rain, hail, sleet, or snow, and if you're really lucky, all in the same afternoon (I'm only joking, it usually takes two days to get that range of weather).

I hope you and your group manage to make the trip, it's a magnificent part of Scotland and I'm sure you'd all enjoy it
janeysdey
Hill Bagger

Postby rogers » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:45 pm

hello hugo, the great glen way accomodation and services guide contains a list of accomodation options and various services along the way, a free copy of the guide can be obtained from:

Great Glen Way Rangers
Auchterawe
Fort Augustus
Inverness-shire
PH32 4BT
Scotland.

I would also suggest buying a copy of THE GREAT GLEN WAY two way trail guide by paddy dillon and published by cicerone, available at amazon, whatever you choose to do i hope you and the troop have a safe and enjoyable trip.
rogers
Mountaineer

Munros:48   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1

Postby Milesy » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:19 pm

janeysdey wrote:I'm sorry you got such an abrupt reply from Kerrerra to your first post on the site

It is the only kind of reply he/she ever gives on here. :|
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby kerrera » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:43 pm

sloosh wrote:
kerrera wrote:The only reply you should get, is try it yourself first.

Do you mean come on over to Scotland on a fact-finding expedition?

I certainly do. If you're taking kids that age anywhere you should understand exactly what it entails. <<text deleted by editor>>
kerrera
Scrambler

Munros:45   Corbetts:14
Sub 2000:19   

Postby DonnyW » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:02 pm

Hi Hugo :D

In a way I can see were kerrera is coming from .. however there is no need to come and see first hand before you bring the scouts.

We have our own scout groups here too and Im pretty sure there will give you a very friendy welcome and offer you some good advice

They can perhaps tell you were you can camp as they have Scout campsites throughout the country too. I believe there is one in the great Glen area near Fort William ? Your guys could then swap stories over the campfire with some of our scouts too

Perhaps you could browse the website at the end of this link .. and find some contact email addresses for the scout organisations in this country

http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/cgi-bin/camping/db.cgi?db=camping&uid=default
DonnyW

Postby kinley » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:09 pm

I was going to say something but apparently Paul didn't like Kerrera's unwitting self-referential proctologist joke. A second failed attempt at getting a laugh from the same thin "joke" was fairly unforgiveable - although in this age of austerity we have to get by :lol:
kinley

Postby Merry-walker » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:16 pm

hahahahahahahha

too squiffy to understand all the big words, I'm happy in my little squiffy world of fine red wine,

I am, alas, - a poor blonde, with very simple pleasures of shiney happy squifffy peeps.. teeh heee xx 8)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion