walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Corrour advice

Corrour advice

Postby mr_mrsH » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:39 pm

Hi all,
We are looking to do the Corrour munros this weekend catching the train from upper tyndrum, does anyone know if the 8am train stops here, says on national rail app that this is a sleeper train and reservations are compulsory and travel cannot be guaranteed.

Thanks in advance,
Mr_mrsH
mr_mrsH
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   

Re: Corrour advice

Postby prog99 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:18 pm

You'd need to phone to double check I guess.
It's doable with the later train too but take something to read at Corrour if back early.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Coop » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:21 pm

Yep it does. Gets into Corrour at 0859.
Did this a few months back ( I've a report up on it)
Buy a return with free seat reservation - no probs.
If you are coming back that same night- (2 trains I believe) make sure you're stood on the platform. (Outside the wee shed).
It's a long wait for the next train or a very long walk out.
Good walk - enjoy
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Giant Stoneater » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:25 pm

£34 RETURN according to Scotrail booking online for 2,book online to guarantee your seat.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby rgf101 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:16 am

IIRC there's a carriage of seated accommodation alongside the sleeper carriages, but they don't permit standing, so they can't just pack them in if it's busy. I'd be very surprised if it's ever actually full, as it's not a very pleasant way to travel up from London and you'd need to be up at painful o'clock to get on in Scotland. Book if you know when you're traveling for the peace of mind, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't get on without reservation.
rgf101

Postby Guinessman » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:47 pm

Used the early train to travel to Corrour in order to walk back over the two munros south of Loch Ossian to get to my vehicle at Rannoch. As has been said back carriage was for such passengers. I paid cash on the day. Only downside for some people who would return to Corrour for the 4.30pm train and journey out was that ,that train was cancelled due to shortage of a driver leaving people with the option of doing Beinn na Lap and down for the midday train. Sure it was a one off.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby Fairweather Softie » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:10 pm

Yeah as already stated the normally the seating section on sleeper is not that busy on sleeper going North but your as well booking it if your sure your travelling.

Remember its Upper Tyndrum station you need to go to for that service!

Corrour is a request stop so remember and tell train manager when you get on the train and tell them you intend to get off!

18:25 on way back is a normal Scotrail train and is booked to stop at the station so no need to stand in a visible location.

Gives you 9hours in the area.
Fairweather Softie
Walker

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:6

Postby paulG2 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:41 pm

I used this sleeper train on Tuesday so it should be fine. The conductor asks everyone who gets on the train where they are getting off as a matter of course. the seating was only 1/4 full or 3/4 empty depending on outlook :lol: .

The staff are really helpful. I went from Crainlarich to Corrour for £12 open return but i have a rail card (it also stopped at Upper Tyndrum). I think it is £16 otherwise. i missed the 18:30 train home so had to use the sleeper at 20:48 hrs to get back to Crainlarich. it's a great day out
paulG2
Munro compleatist

Munros:172   Corbetts:25
Fionas:1   Donalds:9

Postby mr_mrsH » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:03 pm

Thanks everybody for the advice, in campsite in tyndrum now ready for tomorrow.
Haven't booked just going to wing it
Cheers
mr_mrsH
Mountain Walker

Postby mr_mrsH » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:01 pm

Hi all, got the sleeper no problem £11 return each with a 2 together railcard.
Got all 3 munros bagged 8hrs so plenty of time for fish and chips and a couple of beers in corrour.
Thanks again for all the advice
mr_mrsH
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion