walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Buying Fuel in Milngavie

Buying Fuel in Milngavie

Postby Radka » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:02 pm

Hello, I plan to walk the West Highland Way, flying in to Glasgow late in the evening and I want to leave for Milngavie very early. Because I cannot bring any fuel on the plane, I'll need to get it in the UK. Could anyone please advise if it's possible to get Esbit solid fuel tablets or anything similar in Tesco store in Milngavie? (I understand that there is one near the train station). Or where can I stock up on solid fuel tablets? Thank you very much. R.
Radka
Hill Bagger

Re: Buying Fuel in Milngavie

Postby EllyM » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:02 am

I seriously doubt you will be able to just pick them up (thought not impossible given the number of WHW walkers that come through). Your best bet, if you are really determined to start early, is to arrange for a click and collect order to somewhere in the town - either from Tesco itself or from another shop and have it sent to a click and collect location (e.g. Cotswold Outdoor will send to the post office for collection).

Otherwise, there are a number of outdoor shops in close proximity to Glasgow's two main train stations.
EllyM
Mountaineer

Munros:49   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:10   
Islands:13

Postby Sgurr » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:32 am

If you look at the Tesco Direct website, it doesn't seem to stock them at all

It does stock these in its direct sales (to your door)

https://www.tesco.com/direct/yellowstone-solid-hexamine-fuel-tablets-8-per-pack/670-4511.prd?skuId=670-4511&pageLevel=sku

I imagine that even if the Tesco store at Milngavie does not stock the Yellowstone tablets, you could order them on line and get to pick them up there....(.somehow, in an ideal world. I don't know that I'd want to chance it.)

Here is the Tesco Milngavie web address, it has a "Contact Us" tab. Better to stress the wonderful publicity they will get rather than the huge sales.

https://www.tesco.com/store-locator/uk/?bID=2576

Good luck.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby BigTed » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:08 pm

I would phone The Iron chef to see if they stock solid fuel tabs. They sell gas. 50 yds from start of the way.

I can post a link as a new user but google for Iron Chef Milngavie
BigTed
Mountain Walker

Postby BigTed » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:11 pm

Just to update my post. I passed the Iron Chef today and asked. They sell gas and meths but not solid fuel tabs.
BigTed
Mountain Walker

Postby Andy J » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:09 pm

Cotswold Outdoor sell FireDragon "Green and Clean Solid Fuel", which looks similar to hexamine fuel. You could order some on-line for collection at one of the two Cotswold shops in Glasgow, on your way from the airport to Milngavie.

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/firedragon-green-and-clean-solid-fuel-d3532009?id_colour=180

Proof of age might be required if you look young!

Hexamine fuel isn't widely available in the UK, so it's worth getting enough for your whole trip.
Andy J
Scrambler

Postby garyoppolis » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:39 pm

There's also Adventure 1 on Dundas Street next to Queen Street station.

It's gone a bit Airsoft fetishist over the last few years but still does basic army surplus type stuff and hexamine type solid fuels certainly used to be a staple.
garyoppolis

Munros:136   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion