walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Kingshouse Hotel, Glencoe

Re: Kingshouse Hotel, Glencoe

Postby RocksRock » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:33 pm

@Cairrngormwanderer

Thank you! I will write them a wee letter - every letter counts with these things!
RocksRock

Munros:4   Corbetts:7
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:26   Islands:8

Postby rgallie » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:55 am

Shocking...on a side note, how involved are Stella Artois cos their brand name as cropped up in regards to this place, they are getting boycott if at all involved
rgallie
Munro compleatist

Munros:69   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby NickyRannoch » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:40 am

My only objection would be the semi brutalist architecture. It needs to be more sensitive to the surrounds.

However, whatever the memories the current Kings house is a heap and tourism to Scotland is away to grow exponentially from its current unsustainable rate. We need to accommodate that.

It's a pity we aren't very good at joined up thinking as the road, parking, litter and toilet infrastructure will also need improved the length and breadth of the highlands
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:38 am

The Kingshouse area has been a bit of a mess for a while now and something needs to be done but I don't like the look of the plans, though I would fully expect them to be approved as is the norm in Scotland.

I think Nickyrannoch is right about the hotel situation in Scotland. Skye could do with a few Travelodges and Premier Inns in places like Kyleakin and Portree to help reduce the ridiculous prices that the present Dick Turpin run hotels and B&Bs charge. Inverness is no better with every room sold in the summer and some 3 star hotels charging 5 star capital city prices.

As for toilets, not great but probably as good or better than most of Europe.

Roads not great either but if you drive down south for a while. It's a joy to come back and drive on the A9 and other highland roads.

It's no coincidence that the southeast of England which is one of the richest areas in Europe also has one of the poorest road infrastructures. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby jaybee » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:30 pm

[quote="Sunset tripper"]

I think Nickyrannoch is right about the hotel situation in Scotland. Skye could do with a few Travelodges and Premier Inns in places like Kyleakin and Portree to help reduce the ridiculous prices that the present Dick Turpin run hotels and B&Bs charge. Inverness is no better with every room sold in the summer and some 3 star hotels charging 5 star capital city prices.

As for toilets, not great but probably as good or better than most of Europe.

Latest planning application for accommodation in Portree - http://www.theskyetimes.co.uk/index.php/2387-jans-plan-aims-to-meet-growth-in-accommodation-demand
jaybee
Mountain Walker

Munros:9   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   Donalds:2

Postby Moriarty » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:21 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:The Kingshouse area has been a bit of a mess for a while now and something needs to be done but I don't like the look of the plans, though I would fully expect them to be approved as is the norm in Scotland.

I think Nickyrannoch is right about the hotel situation in Scotland. Skye could do with a few Travelodges and Premier Inns in places like Kyleakin and Portree to help reduce the ridiculous prices that the present Dick Turpin run hotels and B&Bs charge. Inverness is no better with every room sold in the summer and some 3 star hotels charging 5 star capital city prices.......

Supply and demand will presumably attend to the accommodation shortfall, assuming demand persists (which may depend on the strength of the pound/which currency we're using).

The Law of supply and demand also leads Premier Inn and Travelodge to charge about £150 a night for Fort William and Inverness at high season, not as bad as some of the Inverness hoteliers have been trying (apparently) but still pretty eye-watering.

Seasonality is one of the big hurdles for investment (and a big reason for gouging tourists), if you've been out in Portree, Tobermory or Ullapool on a cold December night the contrast to the hustle and bustle of August is both stark and pleasant (for me rather than a hotelier).
Moriarty

Postby Soldier of fortune » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:16 pm

Not quite right, the Kingshouse isn't owned by Blackcorries Estate although Spoelberch is one of the six owners,
https://suite.endole.co.uk/insight/company/SC534467-kings-house-glencoe-limited?page=people-contacts
Its commercially managed, like Black Corries £3500+ a for a month is you're interested, by George Goldsmith Edinburgh.

Like most of these people they weave an intriguing web of associates and businesses ownership.

Fleming sold the hotel which included a Covenant that is wasn't to be sold to developers, preferring family ownership, from the Atkinsons, Ian Nicholson, then the Leitch's. He saw that the hotel was something special and shouldn't have it's character destroyed by turning it into a modern day 'hotel' a lawyer told me once that these sort of covenants conveniently 'fly out of the window' !
The new owners have a bar open but no dogs, which for Kingshouse will be something new.
Soldier of fortune
Stravaiging

Munros:43   Corbetts:6

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:12 am

Moriarty wrote:
Sunset tripper wrote:The Kingshouse area has been a bit of a mess for a while now and something needs to be done but I don't like the look of the plans, though I would fully expect them to be approved as is the norm in Scotland.

I think Nickyrannoch is right about the hotel situation in Scotland. Skye could do with a few Travelodges and Premier Inns in places like Kyleakin and Portree to help reduce the ridiculous prices that the present Dick Turpin run hotels and B&Bs charge. Inverness is no better with every room sold in the summer and some 3 star hotels charging 5 star capital city prices.......

Supply and demand will presumably attend to the accommodation shortfall, assuming demand persists (which may depend on the strength of the pound/which currency we're using).

The Law of supply and demand also leads Premier Inn and Travelodge to charge about £150 a night for Fort William and Inverness at high season, not as bad as some of the Inverness hoteliers have been trying (apparently) but still pretty eye-watering.

Seasonality is one of the big hurdles for investment (and a big reason for gouging tourists), if you've been out in Portree, Tobermory or Ullapool on a cold December night the contrast to the hustle and bustle of August is both stark and pleasant (for me rather than a hotelier).

Yes fair comment. I have had the benefit of cheap winter prices also. And maybe it is fine screwing the rich Americans and rich Europeans for that matter, but I don't feel that comfortable with it.
Sunset tripper

Postby Moriarty » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:17 am

Sunset tripper wrote:Yes fair comment. I have had the benefit of cheap winter prices also. And maybe it is fine screwing the rich Americans and rich Europeans for that matter, but I don't feel that comfortable with it.

It was an observation rather than an endorsement on my part. Personally I think that some of the prices being demanded in high season Scotland are a complete rip-off, but I don't see them stopping as long as demand persists.

Happily it's winding into winter and my rather more meagre funds will start to look attractive to Dick Turpin. ;)
Moriarty

Postby rgallie » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:09 pm

Well thats it ripped to bits now, wish I had headed up buachaille etive mor a few month back cos its an eyesore to look at now and no doubt will be an even bigger eyesore when its done
rgallie
Munro compleatist

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:39 pm

I think it will look good. The part being replaced was not old, it looked 1970s and a bit shabby. I hope they keep the old photos and alpenstocks on the walls. And the jar of midgies.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby rgallie » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:18 pm

rgallie
Munro compleatist

Postby Ben Nachie » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:12 am

Soldier of fortune wrote:The new owners have a bar open but no dogs, which for Kingshouse will be something new.

Do you mean the owners have no dogs, or there is a no dogs policy?

If it's the latter, I won't be frequenting.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby paulG2 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:13 pm

Eh, at what point does it cross the line between renovation to new build? Very little left - couple of walls and a door .

ImageKingshouse_0341 by Paul Goldie, on Flickr
paulG2
Munro compleatist

Munros:172   Corbetts:25
Fionas:1   Donalds:9

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:26 am

paulG2 wrote:Eh, at what point does it cross the line between renovation to new build? Very little left - couple of walls and a door .

[url=<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://flic.kr/p/FATstF</span>]Image[/url][url=<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://flic.kr/p/FATstF</span>]Kingshouse_0341[/url] by [url=<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://www.flickr.com/photos/157066816@N05</span>/]Paul Goldie[/url], on Flickr

That is appalling; obviously the stuff about saving the old parts was just so much bullshit.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion