walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Fisherfield query

Fisherfield query

Postby Guinessman » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:27 pm

Doing a backpack next month the last 2 days of which will be Kinlochewe through to Poolewe via Shenavall area. Looking at foul weather alternatives or possibility of high water around the Shenavall area and considering that if it is impassable around Shenavall to ascend to Bealach Odhar from Lochan Fada. Question is has anybody descended directly from the Bealach down to Gleann na Muice and thus cross the burn higher up and avoid the crossing by Shenavall. I've been on that Bealach twice but I cant remember the ground below and my photographs don't help. The map shows a series of tarns with a couple of lines of crags below the bealach.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Re: Fisherfield query

Postby gaffr » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:56 am

I guess in this area best to have options with rain around.... is it for the accommodation at Shenavall?.....from Loch Fada another option would be to follow the Loch and get down to the shelter at the top of Fionn Loch?
I have never been down from the col after Tarsuinn but maybe easier on high water crossings to get down to the Glen with Loch an Nid where you would be on the right side of dodgy crossings all the way round to Achneigie and on to Shenavall but to get back on the trail towards Poolewe you would have to use the crossing near the Bothy?
Maybe I have got all of this query a bit muddled.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby jmarkb » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:10 am

Guinessman wrote: Question is has anybody descended directly from the Bealach down to Gleann na Muice and thus cross the burn higher up and avoid the crossing by Shenavall. I've been on that Bealach twice but I cant remember the ground below and my photographs don't help. The map shows a series of tarns with a couple of lines of crags below the bealach.

I can't see this route posing any difficulties. The initial descent off the bealach is quite gentle. There is a section of steeper ground about 1km further down, below the lochans, but it looks like this can be easily turned on the W side if necessary.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Guinessman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:11 pm

Thanks for the replies Gaffr and jmarkb.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion