walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Am I mad? Climbing my first munro alone!

Am I mad? Climbing my first munro alone!

Postby lam056 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:01 am

Hello all, I'm new to this site so hoping I'm using the forum correctly! Anyway I am planning on climbing my first munro this weekend by myself :shock: I have chosen Ben Lomond as its relatively close to home and apparently ok for beginners. I would usually take a friend along however no one is available this weekend to come along so I thought why not try it myself! I am early thirties, fitness could be better but could also be worse! As someone who barely climbs the stairs..... am I mad?!
lam056
Mountaineer

Munros:27   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Am I mad? Climbing my first munro alone!

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:45 am

Mad? No, not necessarily, as long as you plan properly, wear or carry the right gear, and make sensible decisions on the day.

A few things to consider, apologies if you already know all this:

Make sure the forecast is reasonable.

How is your navigation? Yes, there is a path all the way, but anybody in the mountains should know how to read a map and use a compass. Paths can be lost surprisingly easily if the cloud comes down, or the wrong path can be taken. A simple look at map, and a check of direction with a compass, would stop this happening. Electronic devices (phones/GPS) can certainly help you navigate, but do not rely only on them, take a paper map too, even if its only a print out of the OS map (in a plastic bag to keep dry).

Take enough clothing. It need not be the latest in high technology gear, what it needs to do is stop you getting cold. It does this both through insulation and through protecting you from the wet. A waterproof outer layer combined with several other layers, which can be taken on and off as required, is the main thing. I wear a base layer, thin fleece and carry a spare thicker insulating layer. Stuff should be quick drying, jeans are definitely a no-no. Don't forget gloves and a hat. At this time of year it is likely to be rather cold on top.

The single most important bit of equipment is your footwear. It needs to be comfortable, have enough grip and support for rough terrain, and it shouldn't be the first time you wear it. Most use boots, but some happily use "approach shoes", trainers designed specifically for walking/hills. Many of these will have a waterproof membrane.

Eat small amounts often, rather than just all at once. More importantly, drink quite often. I also often carry a flask of soup in winter, can't beat a warming cup when its wild.

However, don't carry so much stuff the weight of your rucksack is stupid, all the above should fit in a 30 Litre daysack.

The main thing on the day is not to push on regardless. Set off fairly early, take it nice and steady, rest whenever you feel like it, take on board some snacks. If either fitness or weather make you concerned about continuing, its important to recognise this and make the decision to turn around. Keep an eye on your timing, allowing just as long for the descent as the ascent should give you some spare as normally its actually quicker.

All this is making it sound like a major expedition. Its not, as long as you take a sensible approach, you'll be absolutely fine. And you won't really be on your own, not on Ben Lomond, unless the weather is really rubbish in which case you should probably wait for a better day anyway! Have fun!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby jmarkb » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:46 am

Welcome to WH!

Very sound advice above from Mal, not much to add to that! There's a kit list here if you aren't sure about what you should be taking: https://www.mountaineering.scot/activities/hillwalking/getting-started/essential-kit

Check the weather here: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/mountain-forecasts/southwest-highlands - currently not looking that great for this weekend.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby lam056 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:59 am

Thank you so much Mal, excellent points for consideration! I am determined but also realistic, if I feel I can't continue I won't. I have downloaded View Ranger onto my phone but I will also hunt down a map as you advise. Thanks again!
lam056
Mountaineer

Postby ea51ron » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:24 pm

I did Ben Lomond alone for my first Munro. Be prepared for the weather, take your time and enjoy it. I've been up it lots of times since but have never had the hill to myself. It seems that there's always someone else on it!
ea51ron
Mountaineer

Munros:146   
Hewitts:2

Postby Coop » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:34 pm

Mal just about covers it all .

Ben lomond was my 1st Munro as well.
About the only one I've actually printed out a picture and kept. Me holding my flag standing beside the snow ( in April )
Hopefully you get some good views. If it is clear on the descent look across and you'll get a nice view of the cobbler.

Ps when it rains put your waterproofs on. They're no good to you in your Bergan :wink:

If your concerned about your fitness don't rush - take small steps. You'll get there

Enjoy it
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby lam056 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:07 pm

Thanks all for the advice, it really is much appreciated. Just hoping the weather doesn't stop me going now!
lam056
Mountaineer

Postby Magoo82 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:57 am

I've climbed the overwhelming majority of my munros on my tod. I don't mind hiking with other folk from time to time for a wee change but by and large I prefer to hike alone. I don't really know why, that's just the way I am.

Obviously checking weather forecasts and packing the right kit should be a given. I wasn't as proficient at map reading in the beginning as I am now and at first I made mistakes with navigation. The key is to mitigate the mistakes by starting off with easier munros and particularly ones that are close to roads. So, for instance, if you're doing the western Drumochter munros and you get lost and clouded out you'll know that if you keep walking east as far as the terrain will allow then you will eventually reach the A9. So you can kind of use the road as your insurance policy if things go belly up. You'll get better at the navigation thing through practice and as you start to get a feel for your pace over different types of terrain you'll get a more accurate idea of when you expect to reach certain checkpoints on the map.

I remember seeing a mountain rescue volunteer being interviewed on telly once and he was asked if he felt people who went hillwalking alone were being irresponsible. He described the suggestion as "rubbish" reasoning that if you've never hiked alone then you've never really had to make a decision. My navigation and general decision making are what they are because I've had to develop them myself and I never rely on other people. Once you've gained a bit of confidence with it that can be a very empowering and liberating feeling.

Good luck with it :wink:
Magoo82
Mountain Walker

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:2   Islands:15

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:06 pm

I too often hike up hills and glens alone. It is so much more peaceful and gives more scope for exploration and wildlife spotting, also resting when you want! And you are not exposed to others' stupidity and/or mistakes. However, it does cut out the possibility of having a ready-stocked meat store should you become snowed-in at a lonely bothy.

eat your friends#r.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Lournieloon » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:01 pm

I am a bit of a loner too, mainly because most of my friends have some kind of disability or lack the desire !.

One little thing I learned early on was regarding gloves, when your hands get really cold (an altitude thing) perhaps taking the odd photo or two (for evidence of a conquest) and the clag is down and your hands also get wet, I found it impossible to put my rather nice gloves back on.

Got a pair of cosy waterproof mitts, sorted !
Lournieloon
Mountaineer

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:37 pm

Always best to carry lots of spares - hats, gloves, snoods and socks. Available from supermarkets for much cheapness, also www.decathlon.co.uk do good inexpensive mitts, hats, etc.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby the walkers » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:27 pm

Hi there
the info that Mal gave was spot on. Hope you enjoyed your walk and got back safe. Ben Lomond was our 1st too :)
Happy walking
jane
the walkers
Munro compleatist

Postby penelope1 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:05 pm

Hope you had a great walk on Ben Lomond and the weather was kind! :D

I totally agree with all the good gear advice.

Having climbed most of my munros solo (I'm oldish, slow and I just prefer it that way) I've found that a map and compass are absolutely essential kit, as I've lost count of the number of times I've got slightly (but unnervingly) lost in mist and occasionally gathering dusk, and been very relieved to find my way with the help of these items. If you do quite a bit of walking it's worth attending a course to become proficient in their use (Meet-up has walking groups that publish these).

Lots of luck with your future mountain adventures!
penelope1

Munros:222   Corbetts:87
Fionas:6   Donalds:4

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion