walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Dogs and MBA (Bothies)

Dogs and MBA (Bothies)

Postby innkeeper » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:53 pm

Just a quick one are dogs allowed in Bothies. The dog in question is small well behaved. Also my over night in the Bothie would be out of the main tourist season ie December.
innkeeper
Ambler

Re: Dogs and MBA (Bothies)

Postby jmarkb » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:25 pm

innkeeper wrote:Just a quick one are dogs allowed in Bothies

Yes, see https://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/bothies/faq/
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Essan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:01 pm

Dogs are welcome in bothies - and I know a few that are very regular visitors to them

As always, you need to show due consideration to other users and the dog should keep their human under control if there are others using the bothy :)

(Note: there are some restrictions, mainly in sheep areas during lambing season, but these are highlighted on the relevant page of the MBA website)
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:24 pm

Essan wrote:Dogs are welcome in bothies - and I know a few that are very regular visitors to them

Indeed, some dogs are more welcome than their owners. :lol:
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby innkeeper » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:21 pm

Thanks
Now just have to tell the wife my plans for an over night for the 3 of us are coming together. She will be well impressed.
Basically I want to walk to a bothie Xmas Eve have Xmas day there and head out Boxing Day Wife is really looking forward to it :lol: :lol: :lol:
innkeeper
Ambler

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:48 am

Well-behaved dogs are not a problem; an undisciplined one will be. In particular a dog that hasn't been taught not to mooch food is not going to be popular. Bear in mind that not everyone is a "dog person" - if it becomes clear you are sharing a bothy with someone who isn't , the onus is on you to make any compromises required. The needs of the human residents take priority over the dogs.
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:50 pm

innkeeper wrote:Thanks
Now just have to tell the wife my plans for an over night for the 3 of us are coming together. She will be well impressed. Basically I want to walk to a bothie Xmas Eve have Xmas day there and head out Boxing Day Wife is really looking forward to it

How did you manage to persuade her?! I once saw a Rhodesian Ridgeback eat the bothy chair. I was sitting on it at the time (the chair, not the dog), so it was quite an experience. There is a bloke, Jock, who had a great big German Shepherd Dog which carried its own provisions in a dog rucksack made from old bicycle panniers. The trouble with dogs is they never get the beers in, claiming it costs seven times as much in dog money...

Dog Beer#2.jpg
Dog Beer - seven times as much in Dog Money...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby innkeeper » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:17 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
How did you manage to persuade her?!

More a project of erosion. Its took several year of wearing her down to even get this far. Not sure it will even happen. But on the plus side we have just pasted the farm where we get our Turkey from and when I asked where we getting one this year. She said we are not carrying a Turkey to a Bothy. :shock:
So fingers crossed
Think if time allows may see if she want to walk out and have a look at it. She has never been in a Bothy
innkeeper
Ambler

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:07 pm

innkeeper wrote:Thanks
Now just have to tell the wife my plans for an over night for the 3 of us are coming together. She will be well impressed.
Basically I want to walk to a bothie Xmas Eve have Xmas day there and head out Boxing Day Wife is really looking forward to it :lol: :lol: :lol:

That could easily be considered as grounds for divorce. :D

PS you could get the turkey to walk in with you. :shock:
Sunset tripper

Postby mrssanta » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:43 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:
That could easily be considered as grounds for divorce. :D

PS you could get the turkey to walk in with you. :shock:

to me it sounds great - if the weather plays ball!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby bootsandpaddles » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:14 am

rabthecairnterrier wrote:Well-behaved dogs are not a problem; an undisciplined one will be. In particular a dog that hasn't been taught not to mooch food is not going to be popular. Bear in mind that not everyone is a "dog person" - if it becomes clear you are sharing a bothy with someone who isn't , the onus is on you to make any compromises required. The needs of the human residents take priority over the dogs.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if all dog owners adopted this attitude - and not just in bothies?
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion