walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Scotland really must do better….. Part II

Scotland really must do better….. Part II

Postby Clach Liath » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:37 pm

Some may remember this post on the opinions of certain visitors to Scotland

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52890.

I thought that two years later I ought to check whether or not things had improved. Having I visited a few websites to see what reviews had been provided by visitors, I am sorry to say that they do not seem to have done so. :?

Visit Scotland and others really do need to get I grip I feel.

My previous post had first looked at Ben Nevis.

The walk was boring and unimaginative, lacked 4G signal in many places and when you got to the top you couldn't see anything. Basically this mountain summed up Scotland as a whole! A big disappointment! Also there is snow at the top... I don't like a snow.” :shock:

Clearly we need annual snow removal and a telecoms mast on the summit. At least the last person appears to have climbed the Ben, unlike the following person.

One of the biggest hills I have ever seen, but not a mountain for sure! We didn't even bother getting out of the car. Driving for two days to get there was certainly the better part of the trip. I can guarantee bants in my car, they're never a disappointment. Everest has nothing to worry about.”

I like his modesty. :wink:

The next (long) comment has some potentially valid points but the hyperbole tend to diminish them. The tourist path obviously needs to be surfaced and the buildings removed from the summit:

I returned to The Ben for the first time in 20 years. What a terrible mess most of the Tourist Path is in. Most (I don't exaggerate) of the path is in a terrible and dangerous condition. Repairing miles of eroded and missing path one big rock at a time is a pre-mediaeval approach. The Romans built better roads 2,000 years ago and much more quickly. :clap:

“The dangerous condition is appalling. I reckon at last 2,000 people :shock: climbed The Ben when I went up a coupla days ago. I saw four people fall. Three went down on their backs coming down, slipping on wash-down grit, or trying to find way down sometimes 2ft drops :shock: where the path had totally gone. One was lying down injured, assisted by friends. The fourth I saw being helped down by the shoulders by two other walkers.

“Too much rubbish around too. Empty beer bottles at the summit, which continues to look like a builder's yard.

“For the premier walking venue in Scotland, this is utterly appalling. If you are keen to bag this one, take another path (I hope the others are better.) Sorry to be so negative, but something serious needs to be done before serious injuries or deaths occur
.”

Turning now to Ben Lomond there was no story of an epic climb as last time. The main complaints seemed to be about the path improvements, indeed the path itself. Here is an example.

Path up Ben Lomond no better than goat track very unsafe and badly maintained needs smoothed out to be more user friendly.

So clearly it needs the Ben Nevis treatment – a tarmacked path to the summit please.

One of my favourites remains Arthur’s Seat. I cannot work out how many of the following comments might be wind ups. But here goes.

Not a chair in sight - had to sit on the grass, and was left with an unsightly wet patch so it looked like I had soiled myself.” :shock:

or

Nothing, just a bleak view of the city and can be dangerous. and never, ever take your dog as there are cliff falls that dogs and their humans have died by falling off”. :roll:

and

It's called Arthur's seat. No seat at the top or anyone by the name of Arthur. Total rip. If I had paid to go I would have asked for my money back due to false advertising. Luckily it's free.”

Phew!! That's all right then.

I am not sure what the next person was on.

Scotland is renowned for its horrible weather.. it didnt dissapoint.. the paths were muddy and full of stupid tourists could only see [the] castle from the top. They haven't installed the gondola yet and it was tall but not pointy enough for my liking.. not enough rainbows. Disappointed

Solution? Install gondola, reshape for pointy-ness and, er, provide rainbows…

The Fairy Glen and Pools on Skye seem to have become a magnet in recent years. So we have the following comments for this "attraction".

“........ this was the most overrated thing I've seen in a long while, maybe ever. There are so many fabulous views to see in Skye and so little time to see them, some little green cone shaped hills just don't do it for me..........

"Any fairies are either hiding under the leaves laughing their wings off, or are long gone.
" :lol:

and

No wifi. The water was a weird colour and it was pretty windy and also there were animals standing about which were pointless.:shock:

And, finally, still on Skye here are a couple for The Storr:

“... the day in Skye as usual was raining... when we arrive at the beginning of the path to the Old Man of Storr the rain stopped and the sky started to be clear... we started our way and suddenly started to rain as hell... I strongly recommend it if you like to see big stones and get very wet. I give two points as you can swear a lot and with the noise of the rain nobody listen:lol:

Talk about foul weather and uninspiring views. Yes it's rocky and there once used to be trees around but the lack of them now means you get wind blasted from all directions. The foot path is kind of well made but rough and mountain foot wear is required. The climax of the walk is supposedly this large pointed rock called the Old Man, quite honestly I felt like an old man by the time I got to it, it's really just a large pointy rock not really going anywhere. Good luck, wish I'd got to Wales.”

Best get off to Snowdonia then. Happy climbing!
Clach Liath
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:82
Fionas:37   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:240
Wainwrights:214   
Walk wish-list

Re: Scotland really must do better….. Part II

Postby Scottk » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:30 pm

Brilliant. Possibly why our mountain rescue teams are kept so busy.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby rockhopper » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:18 am

rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby raykilhams » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:20 pm

Rockhopper says it all :lol: :lol: :lol:
raykilhams
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Mal Grey » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:39 pm

raykilhams wrote:Rockhopper says it all :lol: :lol: :lol:

He may well do, but I've tried 3 times to see the "Image" but it just sits there thinking about it...

:crazy:

I do find these all rather amusing, though suspect a fair few are deliberately sarcy. :lol:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby cozi » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:12 pm

Great one Jamie!
They're not far wrong with the rain though, though it has been wall to wall blue sky at my humble abode, thankfully.
The local hills are peat hag puddings though.
cozi
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:171
Fionas:18   Donalds:7

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:47 am

If you don't mind, I'll add a few extras :D :D

About Coral Beach on Skye. One of the most amazing spots in Scotland, a short walk to a truly amazing place... Or is it just me getting overexcited and not seeing the obvious? :lol:

"I've been in coral beach and I'm going to explain you a bit... the coral beach is maybe the name because I would call it the black and white beach... if you like the basalt rocks covered with algae in a white sand beach, I strongly recommend you to visit it... if you are looking for Caribbean beach, please go to Caribbean Sea. I give two points because at least you walk and it's healthy habit. "

About Cairngom Mountain.

"Grey, dull monotone. Lots of trees. Just didn't appeal to my preferences. No going back not ever sad" :shock:

About Ben Vrackie:
"It's a hill!!!
What more need said? It's a hill and there's a path that goes all the way from Pitlochry to the summit. Does get a bit steep and not exactly wheelchair friendly from the loch up - but it's a hill, not a tourist attraction."

And finally... A experience on climbing Schiehallion, obviously written by a motorbike enthusiast:

"Left the car park at 7.30 am raining and surprisingly cold for 2nd of July, no problem was ready , the bolder field as you get higher is neither fun ascending or descending, weather closed in up top, and I'm not great with heights, got to the top and couldn't wait to go down, I good experience to have, good workout, but give me a good day on a motorbike any day, got back to the car dead on 4 hours. Home now , take care."
panther laugh.jpg
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby innkeeper » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:48 pm

It not just the scenery that needs sorting. Some Accommodation providers need taking to task LOL. But while you guys read this am off to the local to see if any other tourist needs help :roll: The review is off Google Maps

Google reviews
Will Cooper
2 reviews
2 weeks ago
With the car park being over 8 miles away, my party of 16 and I decided to circumvent the tiresome walk by driving up to the front door. To facilitate this, we approached the gamekeeper, who was very rude and seemed to care little that the women folk were in heels and that four of the gentlemen were wearing brogues, thus making the track a tricky affair. Eventually, he came around and reluctantly handed over the key to the gate guarding the entrance to the main track. He should note that poor service doth butter no parsnips for a London audience. While the road was initially part made and suitable for the Seat Leon, Ford Fiesta and Peugeot 106 we’d rented from Inverness airport, it worsened with each mile. At first were small rocks and potholes which dented the alloy wheels, later boulders and, what can be described as crevasses and peaks which scraped the underside of the vehicles. At these points, the women were induced to tears and, further, warning lights appeared on the dashboard of two of our vehicles. Assuming these obstructions would be temporary oversights from Magoo’s management team, we pressed on expecting an improvement. While the geologic obstacles were damaging, the lack of a bridge over both rivers was downright dangerous; perhaps it is unusual to rain in Scotland in November and for the river to swell to three feet deep? I think not, and regardless we pressed on. We eventually abandoned all three cars 1000 yards from destination and walked the remaining distance. Even the approach to the front door was not without instance; the rough track ruined the wheels of my Samsonite overnighter, a matter I later took up personally with the gamekeeper, though to no avail. On arrival, expecting a warm Scottish welcome, and perhaps a local dram, we were greeted by nothing but a cold, damp room and a soggy series of mattresses. Management was wholly absent. In its place were three geology lecturers from Glasgow who offered no support in securing a suitable supper, neither were they willing to vacate the main lounge so my chums and I could make better use of the shelters only wood burning stove. After burning the furniture to keep warm, the temperature began to drop to an intolerable level. After a freezing night with thoroughly inadequate bedding and no breakfast (management still absent), we decided to cut our losses, cancel our long weekend and head back to the Bonar Bridge Hotel to demand our £3,000 back from the chap at the bar who promised us an ‘authentic’ Scottish experience. On leaving the estate, we approached the gamekeeper to secure some written guarantee of poor service that we could later use to demonstrate that the chap at Bonar misrepresented himself. The gamekeeper was not obliging and forced us from his property at gunpoint. Next time I want to visit the great outdoors, I’ll be heading to Soho Farmhouse. At least there you can get a decent espresso-martini and a goose down duvet without having to suffer primitive non-London types.

Overall we were missold a package; the service was terrible and non-existent, the fellow clientele was unsympathetic, we did £6,000 worth of damage to three hire cars. We won't be coming back.
innkeeper
Ambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion