walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Project Xmas Bothy

Re: Project Xmas Bothy

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:34 pm

innkeeper wrote:all the help is Brill. Those Mats sound the bizz but at the price for what would be a one off seems a little OTT
greed. I use an old fashioned li-lo made from rubberised canvas; it's heavy but does the business.£20.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Ben Nachie » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:11 am

I used to have a small sack barrow and some bungee cords which I used to take fuel in to bothies.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby innkeeper » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:37 pm

Ben Nachie wrote:I used to have a small sack barrow and some bungee cords which I used to take fuel in to bothies.

Was thinking about that. Use to use some thing like that in my Carp Fishing days. But was also thinking of the ground we would need to cross with a full Wheel Barrow :?
innkeeper
Ambler

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:49 pm

innkeeper wrote:
Ben Nachie wrote:I used to have a small sack barrow and some bungee cords which I used to take fuel in to bothies.

Was thinking about that. Use to use some thing like that in my Carp Fishing days. But was also thinking of the ground we would need to cross with a full Wheel Barrow :?

As long as its one of the type with quite a fat tyre, it might not be too bad on that track. Mind you, its a long time since I've done it, it may be worst than I remember, or have deteriorated.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby BobMcBob » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:54 pm

Something like one of these, perhaps?

http://prestige-engineeringuk.co.uk/products.php
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby NYAHFEARTIES » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:03 pm

A gel hand warmer stuck in the small of your back meant to work a treat so I'm told!
NYAHFEARTIES
Hill Bagger

Postby Robinho08 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:54 am

I've only ever used 3 season sleeping bags in bothies that go down to -3°c and I've been fine. Much depends on the weather at the time. It's key to eat plenty to keep you warm and take clothing you can sleep in if it does get a bit chilly.

You'll want to ration your fuel for evening use only because between you both I doubt you'll be able to carry enough coal/logs in to burn all day long.

Bring candles with you too and a wee Bluetooth speaker and she'll hopefully love the experience. 8)

NB. I wouldn't go to the expense of buying expensive insulated mats for bothies. Bit OTT.
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:39 pm

innkeeper wrote:all the help is Brill. Had not even thought of hot water bottles did not know they still made them :shock:
Those Mats sound the bizz but at the price for what would be a one off seems a little OTT

Yes, definitely OTT if overnighting is only a one-off.

Other folk use relatively thin (and therefore less comfortable) 10mm thick foam mattresses for camping, which can be bought for less than £10 (eg at GoOutdoors). Might be worthwhile??? It's also possible to get (warmer) self-inflating foam mattresses for around £15 - about 25mm thick - eg Hi Gear Camper. I have one of these, and found it pretty warm.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Robinho08 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:02 pm

Alpkit do decent mats, can get their light weight mats like the Numo for £40.
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion