walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Red faces on Tryfan

Re: Red faces on Tryfan

Postby nigheandonn » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:46 pm

Congratulations :-) Although there seem to be a few island Marilyns in Wales too - and what about the Isle of Man? ;-)
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby Sgurr » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:47 pm

nigheandonn wrote:Congratulations :-) Although there seem to be a few island Marilyns in Wales too - and what about the Isle of Man? ;-)

Done Bardsey Island and done the Isle of Man, and Anglesey
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby mrssanta » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:49 pm

we stashed our tent one morning on the shoulder of Ben Sgulaird - it was windy so we put it in a nice sheltered place next to a rock. We were sure where it was on our return but it wasn't. Just as well we had marked it on the GPS or we would have been looking for it yet -- every rock looked the same!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Sgurr » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:20 pm

mrssanta wrote:we stashed our tent one morning on the shoulder of Ben Sgulaird - it was windy so we put it in a nice sheltered place next to a rock. We were sure where it was on our return but it wasn't. Just as well we had marked it on the GPS or we would have been looking for it yet -- every rock looked the same!

We would have taken GPS, but had left the rucksacks with friends, so assumed we would recognise the spot, but we circled right round it. Just as well friends decided to go down, as they would have ha a very long wait. All the way down I was visualising the headlines "Obsessive hillbaggers leave 80 year old to die of hypothermia on Tryfan". G is probably fitter than us, having pushed his late wife's wheelchair for many years and maintained a huge garden, but he does get nervous on hills, Incidentally T and D told us they had brought their children up Tryfan when they were 10 and 7. Once at the top T said "I must have been mistaken, I'd never have brought them up here." But he has since looked at his photos and realised he did. Things look very different at different times.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby BobMcBob » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:33 pm

Very glad you found your bags. I have to admit that when I read your original post I just shook my head, I know that part of Wales well and it didn't surprise me. I'm very glad to have been proved cynical.

That said, I've walked 20 feet from my bag and lost it for several minutes and knowing Tryfan like I do I'm amazed you found them at all :D
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion