walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Wallpapering with OS Maps

Re: Wallpapering with OS Maps

Postby EACHANN AN DOIRE » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:27 pm

DSC02742A.jpg
Well I did it. The result isn't perfect but considering how exasperating it was I’m fairly pleased with the result. Unlike ordinary wallpaper where you have to match in 1 dimension only, matching in 2 dimensions nearly drove me nuts.

I pasted the wall not the map. They stretched quite a bit during application - not sure whether that was a help or a hindrance. There are a few wrinkles here and there which became worse when I varnished. Used “decorators varnish”.
Attachments
DSC02743A.jpg
EACHANN AN DOIRE
Rambler

Munros:189   Corbetts:16
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:6   
Walk wish-list

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:42 pm

That's going to give you hours of pleasure, nice one. Quite jealous. I've a specially printed 1:25k centred on my home somewhere, given as a present, but I've still not taken it out of the roll other than for a quick look, probably 10 years later. Must do something with it!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby malrobb » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:30 pm

Looks good.

Where did you buy the maps from? Are they just the standard Landranger ones that come folded?

Thanks

Mal
malrobb
Mountain Walker

Munros:201   

Postby litljortindan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:05 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:I've been saving up old ship's navigation charts to wallpaper my boatshed/cabin once I get it built. :D

I think there are sea charts on the ceiling of the Admiral's Inn in Findochty but they only feature the Faore Islands.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby litljortindan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:10 pm

EACHANN AN DOIRE wrote:
DSC02742A.jpg
Well I did it. The result isn't perfect but considering how exasperating it was I’m fairly pleased with the result. Unlike ordinary wallpaper where you have to match in 1 dimension only, matching in 2 dimensions nearly drove me nuts.

I pasted the wall not the map. They stretched quite a bit during application - not sure whether that was a help or a hindrance. There are a few wrinkles here and there which became worse when I varnished. Used “decorators varnish”.

Looks great. Would like to do something like this too but doubt I will be able to obtain permission.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion