walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Recommended restaurants/ pubs in Portree

Recommended restaurants/ pubs in Portree

Postby algorhythm » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:47 pm

Hi, I'm planning a trip up to Skye next week to climb a few Cuillin. Hoping to reward myself with some decent food and drink after and was wondering if anyone could recommend which establishments in Portree would be best to do so in? Cheers
algorhythm
Munro compleatist

Munros:30   Corbetts:37
Fionas:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:13

Re: Recommended restaurants/ pubs in Portree

Postby brother52 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:50 pm

Portree hotel has some good grub. If going to park in the square I hope you have better luck than us, £1700 worth of damage from intentional vandalism to our car. Caught the culprit, took him to police, he got a £40 fine and that is it.....recommend the menu in the hotel though. Plenty of pubs around Portree in easy walking distance.
brother52

Munros:74   

Postby Arthurs Eat » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:43 am

algorhythm wrote:Hi, I'm planning a trip up to Skye next week to climb a few Cuillin. Hoping to reward myself with some decent food and drink after and was wondering if anyone could recommend which establishments in Portree would be best to do so in? Cheers

Bit out the way, but if you can make it to the Oyster Shed outside Carbost, above the distillery, and if it's open, fresh seafood, and very cheap. You will never eat such good seafood so cheap.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:14   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:05 am

In Portree The Isles Inn is good for pub meals, it has a real fire too, and in season sometimes has some good live music. http://www.accommodationskye.co.uk/ . The Inn as Carbost is good too with a nice atmosphere. The Sligachan Hotel is variable depending on who they have employed as a chef that year. Sometimes very good, sometimes not. I would not eat in Broadford at all.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby spiderwebb » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:26 am

Second vote for the Isles Inn in Portree :D

Stayed at the Slig last month and food was excellent. Broadford fish and chip shop is also very good, just past the Co op going towards Portree :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby nigheandonn » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:38 am

I was going to say that it wasn't the Portree Hotel I was in in the summer, but it was, it's just called something different downstairs! Very nice there, and they were friendly on a very busy night in Portree - said there was a wait for the 'restaurant' area but if I could find a table in the bar end they were happy to serve food there.

I was mildly disappointed by Sligachan because it's on such an industrial scale - I suppose it has to be - but as far as I remember the food was good, the setting just wasn't quite what I expected.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby BobMcBob » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:17 pm

Pretty sure Seamus' bar at Slig is closed for the season now. I'd only go in there if I was staying at the campsite and didn't want to drive anywhere, it has all the atmosphere of an airport Nando's since its recent refit.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Phil the Hill » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:17 pm

Dulse and Brose, the restaurant on the ground floor of the Bosville Hotel on the turn in the main road by the Co-op, did very nice food when I was there in May. Good beer too.
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby desmondo1 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:06 pm

Depending on what you want to pay but our best meal in Portree was Scorrybreac, very small but excellent food and drink, might actually be closed for season so check. The bar at Bosville terrace good atmosphere and excellent beer.
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

Postby basscadet » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:25 pm

BobMcBob wrote:Pretty sure Seamus' bar at Slig is closed for the season now. I'd only go in there if I was staying at the campsite and didn't want to drive anywhere, it has all the atmosphere of an airport Nando's since its recent refit.

Exactly what I was going to say - pretty awful now, and closes for winter which seems absolute madness.. With Skye so busy, why do they turn away the winter business? There are still plenty of tourists about (this year more than ever) and maybe if some could be catered for in winter, the summer Skye crush would be slightly less..
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:06 pm

Its a number of years ago now, but we had a surprisingly good curry down by the car park, presumably the Prince of India. The Isles was fine, though can't really remember it.

Fish and chips from the "Lower Deck" sat on the harbour wall is a "must do".

BobMcBob wrote:Pretty sure Seamus' bar at Slig is closed for the season now. I'd only go in there if I was staying at the campsite and didn't want to drive anywhere, it has all the atmosphere of an airport Nando's since its recent refit.

Whilst handy with decent enough ale and food, the Slig's big bar has been a little lacking in character for decades. We used to refer to it as the only cross between a Wetherspoons and a motorway services in the Highlands.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby BobMcBob » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:52 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Whilst handy with decent enough ale and food, the Slig's big bar has been a little lacking in character for decades. We used to refer to it as the only cross between a Wetherspoons and a motorway services in the Highlands.

I'd defend it in its previous incarnation. It was a bit of a shed but at least it had the casual seating area and pool table down at the back end, and an open fire with sofas. It was refiitted last year (I think) and has lost all that. All that Wetherspoons charm has been sucked out of it :D
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:49 pm

BobMcBob wrote:
Mal Grey wrote:Whilst handy with decent enough ale and food, the Slig's big bar has been a little lacking in character for decades. We used to refer to it as the only cross between a Wetherspoons and a motorway services in the Highlands.

I'd defend it in its previous incarnation. It was a bit of a shed but at least it had the casual seating area and pool table down at the back end, and an open fire with sofas. It was refiitted last year (I think) and has lost all that. All that Wetherspoons charm has been sucked out of it :D

Ah. Its redeeming features gone...hope the beer makes up for it!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby jaybee » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:25 am

The Slig (Seamus bar at least) is remaining open this winter until January 7th. Campsite is closed though.

If you want a really good pub, warm welcome and even better food and you are prepared to travel a bit from Portree then you have to try Munros Bar at the Taigh Ailean Hotel in Portnalong, 2 miles from Carbost. Winter opening hours are Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Food served 6pm until 9pm. Nice and close to finishes of any Cuillin walks from Glen Brittle!

In Portree, have to agree with the Isles Inn.
jaybee
Mountain Walker

Munros:9   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   Donalds:2

Postby Boris_the_Bold » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:39 pm

I was impressed with all aspects of the restaurant on the ground floor of the Portree Hotel in the main square in Portree the last time I was there (Spring this year) - it is called something like Antler Bar and Grill and doesn't look like much from the outside, but the service was fast, efficient & friendly, the menu was surprisingly broad and the food was v tasty. It seemed popular with the locals (at lunch time), which is also a good sign.

BtB
Boris_the_Bold
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:38
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:8   Islands:32

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion