walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Fort William local knowledge?

Fort William local knowledge?

Postby willsdad » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:41 am

Hi
As my previous post suggests I'm looking to follow the CWT from Glenfinnan to Shiel Bridge this winter. It looks as if (weather permitting) I'm going to be hitting the trail on the 4th Jan and ending in SB on the 10th ish.
I'll be leaving my car at FW and getting the train to Glenfinnan. Then the bus from SB back to FW.

My question to the locals is - can I expect much change to the trains and buses at that time of year? Will they even be running?

The websites don't have their winter timetable up yet.

Thanks for your help in advance :wink:
willsdad
Backpacker

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:6

Re: Fort William local knowledge?

Postby nigheandonn » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:08 pm

The winter train timetable is out - but my general feeling there is that the summer services stop running in September or October and start again in March or April, and everything else stays much the same over the changes in December and May, barring occasional fiddling with times by a minute or two.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:29 pm

For train times use the smart phone app national train enquiries, far more user friendly than Scotrail or any of the train operators own websites. use the planner section and it gives train times for 12 weeks in advance. It also gives platform numbers (not really necessary for the west highland line though :D ) Also has live trains section which has up to date times delays etc.
Its a free app on android phones, not sure about iphones. If you don't use a smartphone there is a national rail enquiries website also.
Had a quick look for 4th January . There is a train leaving Fort William at 0830, 1212, 1619 & 2214 with a journey time of about half an hour to Glenfinnan.
All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby willsdad » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:40 pm

Thanks both.

Sunset tripper do you know if the buses will be running from Shiel Bridge to FW? I think that is probably my biggest worry transport wise. I'll need to be back to work on the Friday so I don't want to be sat in the campsite waiting :?
willsdad
Backpacker

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:27 pm

The Skye Glasgow bus is one I rarely use but here is the citylink timetable. :D

http://www.citylink.co.uk/timetables/Winter2017/WEB_GlasgowSkye.pdf
Sunset tripper

Postby willsdad » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:13 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:The Skye Glasgow bus is one I rarely use but here is the citylink timetable. :D

Thanks again. That says something about reduced journeys over the Christmas / New Year period :?
willsdad
Backpacker

Postby willsdad » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:23 pm

willsdad wrote:
Sunset tripper wrote:The Skye Glasgow bus is one I rarely use but here is the citylink timetable. :D

Thanks again. That says something about reduced journeys over the Christmas / New Year period :?

Ignore that :roll:
A bit more looking shows the Christmas / New Year period ends on the 2nd so it should be as that timetable says.

Thanks
willsdad
Backpacker

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:03 am

Sunset tripper wrote:For train times use the smart phone app national train enquiries

That should have read National Rail Enquiries.
Sunset tripper

Postby willsdad » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:07 pm

Does anyone have a final answer on long stay car parking in Fort William? Is the coach park by the train station ok to leave cars for a week?
willsdad
Backpacker

Postby MountainHare22 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:28 pm

willsdad wrote:Does anyone have a final answer on long stay car parking in Fort William? Is the coach park by the train station ok to leave cars for a week?

I used to occasionally park my car there and I think I had to replace the parking ticket each day (so it would last 24 hours), but might be wrong. Don't know about the actual train station car park or the other long stay car park which is behind Morrisons/opposite Lidls. I sadly don't live in Fort William any more to check for you. Might be something on the council website though?
MountainHare22
Mountaineer

Postby Sgurr » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:15 pm

Have you considered asking a local hotel or B & B if you could leave it in their car park ? Unlikely to be full in winter, in fact it makes them look as if they actually have customers which might improve trade (the reason why I was always happy for an elderly gent to sit in my bookshop, even though he had cunningly realised I was unlikely ever to get the Bulgarian/French dictionary he asked for.) People used to suggest leaving in a residential street, but the police might want to know, and who trusts that national computer these days.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby willsdad » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:17 pm

Thought I'd post this to give a definitive answer in future... Below is an email and response regarding parking in FW.

Hi
I am looking to spend a week hiking in January 2018. Can you tell me where I can safely park my car in Fort William? I will be leaving it for 7-8 days without return so I won't be able to renew tickets. Is there a long stay car park where you just pay for the length of time you are there?
Thanks
Steve

Hello Steve,
There are long stay carparks around the town.

One is between the Belford Hospital and rail station, easily accessed just off the A82. Another is just past Morrisons supermarket, coming off the roundabout near the rail station. There is a third at the west end of the town just off the roundabout on the A82.

Generally you pay £2 per day for the amount of days you require and this is noted on the ticket so no problems being away. There is only a charge 1st May until 31st October so it’s free over the winter.

Hope this helps.

Regards
B**** M*******d
Lochaber Transport Forum
An Drochaid
Claggan
Fort William
PH33 6PH

Hope this helps others in future :clap:
willsdad
Backpacker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion