walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Arran coastal way - streets/roads

Arran coastal way - streets/roads

Postby janm » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:09 am

Hey everyone :)

I am planning another long distance hike in Scotland next year and am very interested in the Arran coastal way. It just seems to be quite diverse and beautiful :)
However, after reading some reports with pictures it seems that a large amount of the hiking is done on regular paved streets. Does anyone know how many kilometers of the way you have to walk on streets/roads?

Best,
Jan
janm
Scrambler

Re: Arran coastal way - streets/roads

Postby mynthdd2 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:45 pm

I guess there is a Cicerone guide book somewhere? Arran really is an island of contrasts!
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby willsdad » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:38 pm

Hi janm

Most of the route is off road on tracks, trails, beaches and rock falls. There is short sections where you follow a road but not a great deal. I definitely missed a turn off for the ACW in Lochranza and ended up following the road.
You are, most of the time, beside the sea so if you wished you could follow the beach.

It's a stunning walk. Take your time and enjoy it. Give yourself the ability to carry plenty of water. Refill places were few and far between.
willsdad
Backpacker

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:6

Postby janm » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:29 pm

willsdad wrote:It's a stunning walk. Take your time and enjoy it. Give yourself the ability to carry plenty of water. Refill places were few and far between.

Thanks willsdad!

I read about the poor water situation before, thanks for the reminder! :)

Can't wait for next year!
janm
Scrambler

Postby mynthdd2 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:47 pm

PS a good bus service runs around the island and two really good campsites - plus great SYHA at Lochranza PLUS a great sandwich shop near the ferry there.

PPS don't forget to have a go at Goatfell
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby janm » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:37 pm

Yeah, the buses seem like a great way to get around :)

Goat Fell is definitely on our list!

Regarding the water refill issue: there seem to be plenty small rivers and I'm planning on bringing my water filter. That should cover us for most stretches without a source.
janm
Scrambler

Postby helenw » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:13 am

Hi jan

You'd need to read through each section's description on the Arran Coastal Way route info to see the amount of road walking - it doesn't dominate imo apart from the Lochranza to Imachar and Imachar to Blackwaterfoot sections, but even these I still found enjoyable with plenty of views - buses on Arran are pretty good.
helenw
Site Admin

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:19   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:93

Postby janm » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:41 pm

helenw wrote:it doesn't dominate imo apart from the Lochranza to Imachar and Imachar to Blackwaterfoot sections, but even these I still found enjoyable with plenty of views - buses on Arran are pretty good.

Thanks for the links :)

I will plan probably plan a little detour from these sections as a backup and then decide on the spot if it's too much road walking :)
janm
Scrambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion