walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Another Beginner Looking For Advice

Another Beginner Looking For Advice

Postby ScotFinn65 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:46 pm

I am starting to plan a trip to Scotland to climb some Munros in the Glen Coe, Lawers and Kinlochleven areas. I am a fairly fit 50 year old and run half marathons regularly. The mileage doesn't bother me but I'm a bit wary of scrambling.

I have done a lot of research and steep gradients also seem to be fine.

What bothers me are what can be described in this site and other knowledge articles as "airy" or "exposed".

I have read a lot about An Stuc, Stuc na Chroin and ring of Steahll. Particularly the two scrambling sections at An Gearanach - An Garbhanach crest and the Devil's Ridge.

I watched a few videos and these appear to show ledges about a foot wide with a vertical drop immediately below.

My question is, are these walks (marked as G1 scrambles) really having the vertical drops with narrow ledges or was this just the camera perspective?

Again, I am ok with narrow ridge walks where the ground slopes away at fairly steep angle or climbing up 75° rocks with footholds or vertical scramble up for a short period. It is the exposed narrow ledges I would rather avoid ( size 12 feet not helping my stance :wink: )

Very grateful for any pointers on An Stuc. Stuc me Chroin or ring of Steahll.
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Re: Another Beginner Looking For Advice

Postby scoob999 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:57 pm

Really depends what time of year you are planning on coming? In the summer months these are relatively straight forward walks with a bit of hands on, but at the moment they could be a serious undertaking.

We were up Ben Lawers on Saturday and the conditions were pretty brutal :shock: Snow with ice underneath and very strong winds, made for an interesting day out though :lol:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby Coop » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:36 pm

Pick a good day for The ring of Steall and you'll think you're in heaven.
I'm not a climber by any means either, just take your time.
Enjoy
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby ScotFinn65 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:27 pm

Really depends what time of year you are planning on coming?

I should have mentioned, it will be early August next year.

Thanks
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Walk wish-list

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:56 pm

I just had a look at the you tube videos of Ring of Steall and they definitely make it look worse than it is. The first section (going clockwise) on An Gearanach ridge is best tackled head on sticking to the crest. There is only one rock I would say is best bypassed on the right hand side (It's pretty obvious).
On the Devils Ridge there is one bit which is easily bypassed on the left hand side the path round the right doesn't look great.
A lot of the videos are showing bypass paths I haven't been on as I didn't see the need.
Everyone is different though. I would suggest go up and have a look and if you don't fancy it turn back. It's a great day out.
All the best :D .
Sunset tripper

Postby jmarkb » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:08 pm

Ring of Steall does not have truly vertical drops off the side. You wouldn't want to fall off, but the angle of the slopes on either side is more like 60 degrees than 90. This gives a pretty good idea of what is involved: https://www.mountain-addiction.co.uk/words/2016/7/24/ring-of-steall
For maximum enjoyment, pick a nice day - i.e. dry and not too windy.

An Stuc barely deserves a scrambling grade by the easiest line, which takes a leftwards rising traverse to gain a grassy rib.

Stuc a' Chroin also barely deserves a scrambling grade if you stick to the most obvious path. There are harder options to the left.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby EileanB » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:21 pm

The trouble is, everyone has a different idea of exposure.
I am a wimp when it comes to anything remotely "airy" and I know that what people on here would tell you is a lovely day out would have me rigid with fear and unable to move. I try and look at lots of photos and lots of trip reports to get an idea of what I am letting myself in for, and make sure I have an escape plan if I decide it is getting altogether too exciting. For me, the Ring of Steall would definitely come under the heading of too exciting. My regular walking companions have a wealth of experience in talking me off places other people regard as fun.
One thing I do find is that I get better with practice. Start with easy routes and gradually build up, rather than setting your heart on a big ridge walk which you aren't going to enjoy. And if you walk with a companion it might be better not to chose one with a perfect head for heights. They can never see the problem!
EileanB
Walker

Postby ScotFinn65 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:44 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it.

I feel encouraged enough to try to tackle these now. Watch for the posts next August.

Thanks again
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Walk wish-list

Postby ScotFinn65 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:03 pm

I just wanted to let those that contributed to my thread, that l done Stuc a' Chroin and Ring of Steall as planned.

Now that l done them, l can see all the feedback rings true ( whatever the perspective).

I had a great time and found both walks challenging but within my capabilities without putting myself at risk.

An Stuc will have to wait for another day. The weather closed in after the first 2 Munros on that day an l made a retreat back to Lawers village.

Thanks for all the contributors, it really did help with my planning.

:D
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Walk wish-list

Postby Sgurr » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:24 pm

Members really appreciate people coming back and telling us how they fared. Thanks. Glad you enjoyed your days out.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion