walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

WHW - 2 days left (maybe) - possible sidetours?

WHW - 2 days left (maybe) - possible sidetours?

Postby WanderBert » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:50 pm

Hi there,

next may i walk the WHW. If all going in plan, i have 2 days left for some other/extra things.

The red line is the WHW. What can i do with 2 days left? Climbing a mountain? Walk a valley?
Is the GGW to Fort Augustus worth of thinking? Is Glennfinnan a "must see"?
I can camp, hostel or hotel not realy required.

If you have some ideas, feel free to tell, iam glad to hear some. Many thanks in advance.

Bert
WanderBert
Hill Bagger

Re: WHW - 2 days left (maybe) - possible sidetours?

Postby walkingpoles » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:30 pm

There is lots to do
Some people add a day to climb Ben Nevis. This has the advantage, that it doesn't need a lot of preparation. I'd spend these two extra days munrobagging from Crianlarich onwards. But that's harder navigationwise (and I've been on the Ben, so I don't need to go back). And it needs some planning (which I consider fun too). Browse the munro page of this site as a start. If you are not one of the guys you his happy carrying a big pack in the mountains, it's more sensible to build camp near the or on the WHW and to do the hikes with a daypack.

WanderBert wrote:
Is the GGW to Fort Augustus worth of thinking? Is Glennfinnan a "must see"?

Bert

GGW is great if you like canals and boats.
Glennfinnan is not a must see, but you can walk there from Fort William through Cona Glen. It's the first leg of the Cape Wrath Trail and really nice. There is a regular steam train from Glenfinnan back to Fort William, if you're into these kind of things.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby Scottk » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:10 pm

The steam train from Fort William to Mallaig is supposed to be a great experience. That plus the Ben would probably fill the 2 days.
When in May? I only ask as the TGOC starts around the 11th May so Fort William and surrounding areas could be busy.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby jmarkb » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:39 pm

jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Guinessman » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:16 pm

Bert

After WHW completion, If you're still feeling energetic and want to do a bit more you could have a walk down Glen Nevis and continue on in the direction of Loch Trieg. 2 bothies en route at Meanach and Stonieag or plenty wild camping. Continue on the second day around to Corrour station and get the train back to Fort William.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby walkingpoles » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:42 pm

Guinessman wrote:Bert

After WHW completion, If you're still feeling energetic and want to do a bit more you could have a walk down Glen Nevis and continue on in the direction of Loch Trieg. 2 bothies en route at Meanach and Stonieag or plenty wild camping. Continue on the second day around to Corrour station and get the train back to Fort William.

Seconded. Glen Nevis rocks. From Corrour I'd take the train south to Glasgow, though. BTW Corrour was used in the film Trainspotting for a rather iconic scene.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby WanderBert » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:59 am

Wow, great guys. Many thanks for the hints and infos and that so fast.

I think, i have a little work to do. Fine, great forum...

Greetings
Bert

@Scottk Maybe iam in FW around 23.05-25.05.18 Maybe most of the challengers are gone east at this time, but thanks for the tip, havent heard before of this event.
WanderBert
Hill Bagger

Postby WanderBert » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:36 pm

So, after a quick look, the last 3 tips are realy great. Dont know iam expirienced enough to get such ridge walks, but i will mention it as a possible dayhike. Fine is, that is directly connected with the WHW. Thanks for that.. :clap:
WanderBert
Hill Bagger

Postby jmarkb » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:55 pm

WanderBert wrote:So, after a quick look, the last 3 tips are realy great. Dont know iam expirienced enough to get such ridge walks, but i will mention it as a possible dayhike. Fine is, that is directly connected with the WHW. Thanks for that..

You are very welcome!

The ridges are nowhere technically difficult: you may just need to use your hands in a couple of places, but without a large pack you should have no problems unless you react badly to heights.

The bigger challenge will be navigation - there are paths most of the time, but there is no waymarking, and poor visibility is a frequent hazard.

Hope you have a great trip!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Scottk » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:45 pm

Hi Bert,

You will definitely miss them as they should be on the east coast by then!

Have fun, great time of year to do it with long days and hopefully, no midges.

Cheers, Scott
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion