walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Right or left?

Right or left?

Postby ScotFinn65 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:12 pm

Any opinions on which direction presents less difficulties when doing Ring of Steall? (Summer conditions). Clockwise or Anti-clockwise?
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Re: Right or left?

Postby Backpacker » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:26 pm

When I do it again I'll be ascending Sgurr a'Mhaim the descent off it is absolutely god awful
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:49 pm

I've done it both ways and I don't think it makes too much difference. I think some folk prefer to go clockwise to get the rope bridge out of the way at the beginning. :shock:
Though the bridge is easier to cross going the opposite direction.
The only thing I would suggest is to do the road walking at the start of the day and use the riverside path instead of the road for part of it.

I did it clockwise earlier this year. :D
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=73088
Sunset tripper

Postby raykilhams » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:24 pm

Only done it once and I have to agree with Backpacker that the descent of Sgurr a'Mhaim was a pain in the posterior and knees , but then again after passing a small group of German Walkers ascending it looked to me as if going down was probably the easier option and I'm an uppy .
By the way the wire bridge is a doddle .
raykilhams
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:9   

Postby jmarkb » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:18 pm

Technically the direction makes no real difference: the trickiest sections are on horizontal ridges.

There is an interesting way of avoiding the upper section of the descent/ascent of Sgurr a' Mhaim. In descent, take the NE ridge (a little mild scrambling) to a small col at 950m, and then follow the old stalkers path that goes down through Coire Sgorach and then round left to reach a grassy shelf at 650m. Follow the shelf leftwards (slightly uphill) for 200m to join the normal NW ridge route. This stalkers path is not marked on older 1:50k maps.

Alternatively, it is possible to ascend/descend the NE/NNE ridge in its entirety from Steall. However, route finding through the trees and rocky outcrops above the hut is tricky: there is a useful description and map in Dan Bailey's Scotland's Mountain Ridges guidebook.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby madprof » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:35 pm

Backpacker wrote:When I do it again I'll be ascending Sgurr a'Mhaim the descent off it is absolutely god awful

I don't recall this...I have done the Ring of Steall (clockwise) in two parts. Going up via the Devil's Ridge was interesting but the descent seemed fairly straightforward...? Did I miss something?

Please don't say "I went back down to Steall" because this will make me cry. I couldn't even get up from there, which is why we ran out of daylight first time.
madprof
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Walk wish-list

Postby Backpacker » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:28 pm

madprof wrote:
Backpacker wrote:When I do it again I'll be ascending Sgurr a'Mhaim the descent off it is absolutely god awful

I don't recall this...I have done the Ring of Steall (clockwise) in two parts. Going up via the Devil's Ridge was interesting but the descent seemed fairly straightforward...? Did I miss something?

Please don't say "I went back down to Steall" because this will make me cry. I couldn't even get up from there, which is why we ran out of daylight first time.

Took the standard route down, just found it hellish on the knees
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby PerthAlly » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:25 pm

I did it clockwise.

The descent off Sgurr a'Mhaim wasn't fun due to scree. I'd to ascend this way.

And take lots of water as there's isn't much available after the wire bridge.

Enjoy. It's a cracking day out
PerthAlly
Mountaineer

Munros:145   Corbetts:15
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:07 pm

jmarkb wrote:
There is an interesting way of avoiding the upper section of the descent/ascent of Sgurr a' Mhaim. In descent, take the NE ridge (a little mild scrambling) to a small col at 950m, and then follow the old stalkers path that goes down through Coire Sgorach and then round left to reach a grassy shelf at 650m. Follow the shelf leftwards (slightly uphill) for 200m to join the normal NW ridge route. This stalkers path is not marked on older 1:50k maps.

Great info. I have seen that path ( it looked like a track in parts) when on the approach to and on the Devils ridge. Also you can see it clearly on the west side of Sgurr a Mhaim if you are on Stob Ban. I often wondered what it was like and even if it was there at all going round through the crags on the other side of the hill. Have you followed it all the way? If so is it easy to follow? I might give it a go anyway linked with an ascent from the Steall rope bridge.
It's a great hill though quite complex in parts.
Cheers :D
Sunset tripper

Postby jmarkb » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:40 pm

You’re welcome!

I’ve done the section I described and also the zigzags above Lochan Coire nam Miseach. Both are easy to follow on the ground but would easily get buried under snow. I haven’t done the section on the E side of the Devil’s Ridge, which would be interesting: it appears to traverse some pretty steep terrain!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby jupe1407 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:16 am

As Backpacker says, the descent off Sgurr a'Mhaim is a never-ending exercise in sustained knee pain, however doing it the other way means a shorter but horrendously steep descent on fairly loose terrain from Am Bodach, and sections of the descent of An Gearanach would be a bit sore on the knees as well. I've done it twice, clockwise both times :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Robinho08 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:13 pm

I'd say start with Sgurr a'Mhaim first as the walk out back to the car park is downhill and you avoid that brutal decent.

Also you don't have to cross the wire bridge if the river isn't in spate. We crossed further up stream no problem at all.
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion