walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

CWT Food

CWT Food

Postby terminalsump » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:47 am

I am planning a Cape Wrath Trail foray in May via a number of Munro's on the way and debating the number of days provisions I should plan for at any one time. I believe the longest section is probably Fort Bill to Glen Shiel especially as there are a few tasty Munro's to detour via (Sgurr Thuilm, Sgurr nan Coireachan, Luinne Bheinn, Meall Buidhe, The Saddle and Sgurr na Sgine ). Maybe the sections north of ullapool require longer distance, but are long and not 'too' technical ?

Does anyone have any feedback on what they took as number of days of provisions?

I understand that theres the option to resupply at :
    Glen Shiel/Morvich
    Strath Carron; although I plan to cross Glen Carron at Craig - so maybe not ??
    Kinlochewe
    Ullapool (via detour)
    Kinlochbrevie

In addition there are hotels/Pubs at Glenfinnan, Oykel Bridge, Inchnadamph. anywhere else ?
terminalsump
Scrambler

Munros:268   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:5
Islands:2

Re: CWT Food

Postby willsdad » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:04 pm

Coffee n fruitcake at Kinloch Hourn

I stocked up at Shiel Bridge shop.
There's snacks also at the Morvich campsite.

I skipped Strathcarron but had ran out by Kinlochewe. Couple of places in Kinlochewe. Shop and petrol station. Cafe well worth a visit too.

Ullapool supermarket. ...and fish n chips!

I always tended to keep a couple of freeze dried meals at the bottom of my pack for just in case.

Enjoy
willsdad
Backpacker

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:6

Postby Guinessman » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:07 pm

I did it with resupplies at Kinlochewe and Kinlochbervie, doing 6 day carries and then a final 3 from Kinlochbervie ( though it could have been 2), though I went via the Great Glen which does not assist you.

Your mountain routes means you might have to take a bit of food for a few days for the Knoydart area alone. There is a hotel at Shiel Bridge. It might be worth asking if you could send a parcel there, as if you have to restock in that area there is not much in the garage and you may possibly have to get a bus up to Kyle of Lochalsh to get supplies.

No shop at Strathcarron.

The only other hotel I think of on the route in addition to what you list is at Rhiconich ( don't know its current status, it was open when I passed).

There is a hotel at Kylesku if you have to detour for food.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby motorlaunch » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:48 pm

Guinessman wrote:Your mountain routes means you might have to take a bit of food for a few days for the Knoydart area alone. There is a hotel at Shiel Bridge. It might be worth asking if you could send a parcel there, as if you have to restock in that area there is not much in the garage and you may possibly have to get a bus up to Kyle of Lochalsh to get supplies.

Agree with Guinessman, shop at Shiel Bridge garage poorly stocked. There is another petrol station 2 miles further on towards Kyle Lochalsh at Rockfield which is much better stocked.
motorlaunch
Mountaineer

Postby walkingpoles » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:49 pm

Inchnadamph and Craig hostels have each a little shop. Not well stocked but sufficient for cooking dinner and to take something along.

Hightec dry food can only be restocked at Ullapool or scavenged from free food shelves. (Well, Inchnadamph sells noodle soups).

There is Inverie on Knoydart which might be a sensible stop with a shop when you go munroing. There are also some nice munroes if you pass further south than Inverlael. Check out my walk report.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby Portboy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:08 pm

Hi, I've walked it twice and the best way to organise food is to, carry four days food from Fort William which will last you to Shiel Bridge. Post a package out to Five Sisters Hotel with another four days supply which will last you through to Kinlochewe. Post another package out to Post Office at Kinlochewe with four days supply which will last to Inchnadamph. Post your final parcel out to the Inchnadamph Hostel with your last four days supply which will see you through to Cape Wrath. Willie at the Highland Hermits Bothy is another place that's willing to accept your parcel. I can give you a lot more information if you contact me at portboyo@yahoo.co.uk and don't forget to make use of the bothies along the route. Frank.
Portboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:220   

Postby terminalsump » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:20 am

Thank you everyone for the advice - very useful.

Tim
terminalsump
Scrambler

Munros:268   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:5
Islands:2

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion