walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

winter camping help. I'm still cold

winter camping help. I'm still cold

Postby doggy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:57 pm

Hi all.

I really like camping in winter and I've invested good money in my kit yet I'm still cold. Admittedly I do feel the cold.
I have a Tundra pure -10 down bag, https://www.tundrasleepingbags.com/sleeping-bags/pure/pure-minus-10

an Exped winterlite mat, http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/mats/synmat-hl-winter-m

sleeping bag liner and I was wearing merino base layers last night. So I camped in the garden and it was about minus 3/4, I woke up a few times with my back and bum freezing, I'm assuming the winter mat isn't insulating me enough.

This is the kit I intend to take up hills so I can't really carry too much and a lot of it is pretty light to save weight.

I have a second SIM multimat http://www.multimat.uk.com/store/products/summit-25-slash-38 that I might try to night although the temp is only going to be down to maybe minus 1.

What more can I do other than another foam mat under my synmat? Initially I was very warm in the bag but after a few hours the cold got to me.

Any advice please?
doggy

Munros:96   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:2   

Re: winter camping help. I'm still cold

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:08 pm

Normally, I say going to bed already warm is vital, but it sounds like you already do this.

It does sound like its the mat. Is it inflated enough for you to be well away from the floor at the pressure points of shoulders and hips/bum?

You could try some sort of reflective stuff underneath the mat. I don't know what its called, but there's stuff used for pot cosies etc which is a bit like reflective bubble wrap!

I find wearing a hat and a neck warmer makes a surprising difference, even with a bag with a hood and neck collar. Otherwise, I prefer to wear very little inside, and my similar bag is happy down to -8c I know.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby doggy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:47 pm

Yeah I think it's the mat although it's supposed to be for camping in the winter. I'm trying my multimat tonight to see if I'm still cold. It's really just my back and bum that's cold, as if the mat just isn't doing its job.
doggy

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:53 pm

doggy wrote:Yeah I think it's the mat although it's supposed to be for camping in the winter. I'm trying my multimat tonight to see if I'm still cold. It's really just my back and bum that's cold, as if the mat just isn't doing its job.

Down is wonderful stuff, but the only problem is it gets squashed underneath you, hence making the mat more important. Have to say, when its properly cold, I do tend to "double mat" - old foam type and self-inflating, but I don't have to carry it on my back as I'm normally canoeing!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby doggy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:42 pm

I do have a foam roll mat so I'll try that and I'll try my synthetic bag too.
doggy

Postby Robinho08 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:11 pm

Your gear sounds pretty much spot on. But I use the cheap multi purpose insulation foil you can buy in DIY shops as a ground sheet which helps a lot.

However the one bit of advice that everybody fails to mention or ask is: Are you eating enough? Your body needs energy to burn to generate heat. I even have a snack to hand if I wake up cold during the night.
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby Ben Nachie » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:17 pm

I assume you sleep on your back. If so, your cold back & bum suggest your mat is not warm enough for you. Your bag has 600g of fill, which is not enough for me. I have an old Rab 1000 (1000g duck fill) which is only good down to freezing for me. I also have a Rab Ladakh 1000, also 1000g fill, but of goose. I'm never cold in that, proving that not all down is equal!

I'm quite a cold sleeper but my Thermarest Trail Lite 3/4 length with a foam sit mat under my feet always keeps me perfectly warm from below.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Iainm » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:55 pm

Robinho08 wrote:Your gear sounds pretty much spot on. But I use the cheap multi purpose insulation foil you can buy in DIY shops as a ground sheet which helps a lot.

However the one bit of advice that everybody fails to mention or ask is: Are you eating enough? Your body needs energy to burn to generate heat. I even have a snack to hand if I wake up cold during the night.

I'll second this. Your kit should be fine for the conditions, but there is more to being comfortable when camping in the cold than just the rating of your kit.

When winter camping, I will always have a high calorie hot meal and a hot drink soon before bed. My go to is usually cous cous with added olive oil and pepperami and a snack of cashew nuts. It's simple and packs a lot of calories for the weight. A flask and a snack is good to have handy for a quick boost if you wake up cold in the night.

Have a read of this article. https://andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/maximising_your_bags_warmth
Iainm
Hill Bagger

Postby doggy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:53 pm

Thanks everyone.
The following night I used my multimat and a Vango latitude 400 and i was fine. The bag isn't as good but being synthetic I wasn't cold on my back/bum area.

I'll keep trying the suggestions.
doggy

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion