walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Easy Winter routes?

Easy Winter routes?

Postby lr85ninety » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:07 pm

Hi I'm looking for ideas of less technical mountain routes in Winter, We're based in Lincolnshire so anywhere in the uk is accessible to us. I've only just introduced my wife to winter walking having done Elidir Fawr in the snow a couple of weekends back and she really enjoyed it so I'm looking for a snow route that she may enjoy. We have crampons, ice axe and ropes if needs be but I'd prefer something easier for her and it'd be good if it got us over 3000 ft. We've done all the 3000 ft peaks in the lakes apart from Scafell, We've done Tryfan and Elidir Fawr in wales and a few peaks in Scotland so any recommendations would be appreciated.
lr85ninety
Munro compleatist

Munros:9   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:20
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Easy Winter routes?

Postby simon-b » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:09 pm

I've only done Eildir Fawr in summer conditions, and remember the top being pretty steep and bouldery, so it seems like you've done something quite demanding in the snow already. The High Street range from the Patterdale side is pretty good when there's plenty of snow, quite high but not too technically demanding. The West Drumochter range in the Highlands is good for winter Munros, again not too technical.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby prog99 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:30 pm

How technical. I don't know your experience levels but this site has a range of low grade routes.
http://scottishwinterroutes.com
I'd wait for some consolidation before venturing into any grade 1 snow gullies.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby lr85ninety » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:47 am

Thanks guys, I've some experience with winter walking as I've done the torridon peaks in snow and a fair bit in the peak district but my wife has only done Elidir which is as technical as I'd like to go with her for the time being. High street is actually a good shout as it's not that far from us and when I was last up at angle tarn I quite liked the look of it. I'll check out the ones you mentioned in Scotland although it might be a bit far for just an overnight stop in the car. With regards to us doing Scotland for one or two nights Ben Ime or Narnain might be as far as we could realistically get to before Xmas
lr85ninety
Munro compleatist

Postby jmarkb » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:08 pm

There are several reasonable options in the Loch Lomond/Arrochar area.

Ben Ime is straightforward by the normal route.
Ben Narnain's east ridge has a steep rocky section below the summit which can be icy. The west ridge is straightforward.
Ben Vane is short but steep with some easy scrambling near the top, can be a bit tricky in winter.
Ben Vorlich is straightforward.
Ben Lomond is also fine: if you want to do the circuit, it would be better to go up the Ptarmigan and down the main path.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby lr85ninety » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:24 pm

That's good information thank you. Hopefully get a couple of days before Xmas to check one of those out. I tend to walk with dogs so Ben Ime looks promising
lr85ninety
Munro compleatist

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:43 pm

The Cairngorms near Aviemore are good; easy access as you can drive up the road to the Cairngorm ski areas and there you are already about two thousand feet above sea level. There are good paths leading into the wilds, and a cafe with hot chocolate and soup on your return. If the weather is too bad for getting up high, there are nice low level walking routes too.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:10 pm

Corrie cliffs Cairn Gorm.JPG
Gullies on cliffs of Corrie an Lochan , Cairngorm.

I couldn't attach the pic above to my previous post for some reason. Low-grade gullies in the cliffs of Corrie an Lochan, Cairngorm.
And low level hikes through forest and moor in Ryvoan, below.

Autumnal pics 010.jpg
Ryvoan, low level walk near Cairngorm

The are also easy routes on the cliffs of Aonach Mhor. Get the ski gondola up then go off to the left, and the cliffs rise above you.

January 10 Aonach Mhor gully 2.JPG
Aonach Mhor cliffs

January 10 Aonach Mhor gully.JPG
Aonach Mhor

January 10 Aonach Mhor fence.JPG
View from Aonach Mhor
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Magoo82 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:40 pm

The Drumochter hills are a good introduction to winter walking. The elevated start point shortens the walk meaning you should have plenty daylight and if things start to go wrong you're never too far from the A9 as your obvious escape route (unless you're trying to get off A'Mharconaich - don't descend due east towards the A9 from there without a parachute :lol: ).
Magoo82
Mountain Walker

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:2   Islands:15

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion