walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Cairngorm Mountain for kids…..

Cairngorm Mountain for kids…..

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:35 am

Not exactly hillwalking as such, but I wonder if WH’ers could perhaps give me a bit of advice please?

I’m looking to take my two wee boys (11 & 9yrs) away for an overnight stay in Aviemore. Thing is, they’re DESPERATE to get in some sledging. They haven’t had the chance to do this since they were both toddlers.

I've contacted Cairngorm Mountain asking if they have areas where kids can shoot down a wee bit of hillside without paying a fortune. I stressed we weren’t looking to snowboard – just bring our own sledges. However, all I got was the following mega-unhelpful response:

“Unfortunately we don’t allow sledges up on our lifts here at Cairngorm Mountain. I believe that some of the other resorts such as Glencoe do but you would need to check with them if it is available at the current moment in time.”

Can anybody shed light on this please? Is there a safe sledging area at Cairngorm where I can take my kids?

Any advice and insight gratefully received as ever.

Cheers

LF
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Re: Cairngorm Mountain for kids…..

Postby gaffr » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:36 am

Hello,
It may well go back to the fatality of a small child, several years back, who when sledging just below the end of the skiers piste close to the car park. The child went through a hole in the snow and into the burn below the snow.
Of course there is problem of mixing sledgers with fast moving skiers etc.
Maybe also difficult to have a protected area for sledging on Cairngorm owing to the nature of the terrain at the lower elevations?
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Fiona Reid » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:33 pm

There are often folks sledging just below or to the right the lifts - this is a few mins walk from the car park, approx grid ref NH989059. As long as you're not sledging on the ski pistes or tow tracks etc and are careful re. location of the burns etc you should find a patch of snow.

However, at the moment the webcams show snow down to Loch Morlich so you'll likely find a fair number of folks sledging on the Hayfield, grid ref approx: NH980092 near Glemore. It's somewhat more benign weather wise down there and as it's just a grassy slope in summer there's nothing nasty lurking under the snow...plus the grass really just needs a few inches of cover to be sledge-able whereas up at the ski centre you'll need a bit more to cover the heather etc etc.
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:54 pm

Fiona Reid wrote:There are often folks sledging just below or to the right the lifts - this is a few mins walk from the car park, approx grid ref NH989059. As long as you're not sledging on the ski pistes or tow tracks etc and are careful re. location of the burns etc you should find a patch of snow.

However, at the moment the webcams show snow down to Loch Morlich so you'll likely find a fair number of folks sledging on the Hayfield, grid ref approx: NH980092 near Glemore. It's somewhat more benign weather wise down there and as it's just a grassy slope in summer there's nothing nasty lurking under the snow...plus the grass really just needs a few inches of cover to be sledge-able whereas up at the ski centre you'll need a bit more to cover the heather etc etc.

Brilliant! Many thanks Fiona! :clap: That's really helpful practical advice. Much appreciated :D :wink:
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby Dunblane Bagger » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:46 am

Hi,

I took my Australian nieces to Aviemore two winters ago when they were over for Christmas and we did the whole reindeer thing etc... and there was a brilliant slope just past Loch Morlich to sledge on. It is literally a 1 or 2 minute drive past the Reindeer centre, and is before you start gaining any proper height on the road to the ski slopes.

If there is snow when you go, there will be people sledging where I have described as it is a popular little area. There is a car park right next to the wee slope too.

Enjoy ! :clap: 8)
Dunblane Bagger
Munro compleatist

Munros:149   Corbetts:33
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:6   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion