walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

How did you get on in 2017?

Re: How did you get on in 2017?

Postby Roland Tattiescone » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:40 pm

I wasn’t posting on here this time last year so I don’t have any plans to refer back to. But I started last year on 9 Munros and finished on 59 (now up at 60 after doing my winter skills at Glenmore at the weekend and them unexpectedly taking us to the top of Cairn Gorm). I also did the WHW for the first time.
Roland Tattiescone
Mountain Walker

Munros:165   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby litljortindan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:31 pm

nigheandonn wrote:How do you accidentally climb a Munro?

I should have said unintended ascent. Meant to walk over the small hills south of Meall na Teanga but the complete cloud cover put me off so I set off up the Teanga track and path in the hope of an inversion but thinking I would probably turn back at the bealach. Curiosity, and indeed enjoyment, got the better of me though but no inversion on Sron a' Choire Ghairbh.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby litljortindan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:34 pm

litljortindan wrote:
litljortindan wrote:Planning to stay hydrated and fit and will probably be looking at a year of shortish, wettish walks. I do have a few places I dream of going to but don't want tempt fate by talking up my chances of getting to any. So same plan as for the last four years: at least one hill of any description per month.

Accidentally climbed a Munro in January but otherwise successfully stuck to my modest plan of at least one bump per month though that was slightly in peril in June following a football injury.

A video of my modest year. Not many hills but some nice sea cliffs.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby basscadet » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:35 pm

I say it every year, but have to get to Rum one of these days - booked holidays and good weather will coincide eventually!
Other than that there are a few trips I would like to do - A couple of glen wanders for a change, scrambles in Fisherfield and Knoydart that take a bit of a walk in, my dad wants to compleat this year so maybe a few munroes with him - I'm not really fussed as long as I am out 8)

Well absolutely none of that happened :lol:

Still had some braw days out - my hillwalking all depends on how sore/crunchy my ankle is these days, but hopefully operation at end of the month will sort it out so I can do some of these things in the future.
My Dad just has 3 to go, so seems like this year might be the year :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby BoyVertiginous » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:34 pm

BoyVertiginous wrote:Day 10 of 2017...Day 12 of the lurgy!

Still, despite being the wrong side of 50, have some multi-sport aspirations for this year and next, that get in the way of hill days so have to temper it accordingly, however, have a few goals in mind for this year hill-wise.
Slipped and fell on ice in a whiteout on Farragon & Tairneachan shortly after writing the above and spent the next 5 months in Physio! Managed to get back on track in the second half of 2017, squeezing in a Sprint Tri on holiday in France; a first age-group podium in a Standard Tri on home turf; a first 33-mile Ultra completed. Got some great swims in this year, including from one side of Loch Sunart to the other; from Mull to Lochaline; some sections of the Fife CP; and 1km+ in each of 10 trossachs lochs in a day

Got some housekeeping to do on hills previously thwarted on by bad weather, e.g. Beinn Chabhair; Carn na Gabhar (Beinn a'Ghlo) & Vuirich; Meall Chuaich; Mholach; Choichuill & Eunaich; Narnain & Ime.
Injury was such that walking was still possible, albeit uncomfortable, got Chabhair at 5th time of asking (included a reverse ice-axe arrest on the descent, with the dog dangling on the lead in the other hand); failed attempt on evening run Carn na Gabhar as bad light and poor weather closed-in just before the bealach (no Vuirich yet either); Chuaich done in November (along with Creag Ruadh); Choichuill & Eunaich still to do; ditto on Narnain & Ime.

Keen for some longer days in spring/summer on, e.g. South Glen Shiel ridge; Cairn Toul & Co; Lochnagar & Co; Lui & Co and others. Also looking to make some inroads in ranges not yet touched, but pass all the time going to others, such as the Breadalbane/Mamlorn, Tyndrum and Orchy hills.
SGS done (albeit in full winter conditions, no complaints); Lochnagar 5 (Summer with overnight) and Lui 4 done (3 on a perfect, warm Summer day and Dubhcraig recently in the first snow of this Winter); Mamlorns done over two very wet days, one Winter, one Summer [i](but for Challum & Corbetts)

Longer trips planned for Torridon in early March for, hopefully, some winter mountaineering on Eighe, Slioch & Alligin then; Arkaig in June (still in the planning); Skye in August (for two remaining munros & some corbetts); annual summer family camping trip and Ardnamurchan in October for more Corbett fun. Missing Assynt and struggling to fit it in this year (although there may be a window in May to do something).
Unforgettable few days in Torridon for Slioch; Eighe and Alligin; Arkaig was killed off by the weather (went East and got Lochnagar and all but one of remaining Glenshee ones done); Skye went to plan, Blabheinn & the Pinn at the 3rd attempt, plus some Corbetts & Grahams on a long run through the red cuillin (also managed to revisit Spidean Mialach / Gleouriach having missed the true summit of spidean in clag last time); no Ardnamurchan - thanks to neighbouring councils having different school holidays in October!

Keep picking off Sub2K's with the missus and the dog. dried-up a bit in favour of sections of trails such as Fife CP; WHW; etc.

As long as the above includes some bike access and the odd bothy/mountain hut and/or high camp night ... I'll be happy. Bits and pieces but, room for more of this

All the best with your own aspirations for this year.

Thanks to davidtimothyscott (& pal) of these parts, also did the 9 Fannichs in a day, along with abbruce.

Other unplanned things included a first foray over the Border to make a start on the Hewitts / Wainwrights and a memorable day on Ladhar Bheinn after Avocetboy suggested we run it from Kinloch Hourn in early October.
We drove up on a foul night, car camped at KL due to the torrential rain and set off in the dark and rain along the track that was running like a river. The rain subsided and it only got light at Barrisdale Bay and we took a fairly direct route up from there. This was our third attempt at this hill and sadly, particularly as it had been his idea, AB had to bail out due to time constraints. I did what only a true friend would in such circumstances ... carried on! If I hadn't I'd have missed all this...

Have to be happy with that lot, given how the year began and if I get half of that done this year I'll still be happy.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby steven65 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:22 pm

I`ve 55 Munros left to compleat , so it looks as if I will hopefully get there - but not in 2017. Life gets in the way !
However in 2017 I do plan to go back to Skye, again on my Vespa - combining 2 hobbies into 1.
Also hoping to stay in more Bothies.

Well that was my comment posted on 4/1/17.

In the end I only managed 17 Munros in 2017 , leaving me 38 to compleat.

However compleation will need to wait until 2019 , there no way I can fit it all into 2018. Time is the enemy.
Looking back I enjoyed Ben Nevis via CMD arête in September 2018 - (shamefully) my last outing.
Away from the hills I`m looking forward to touring Ireland for 8 days on my Vespa GTS 250 ie and attending Vespa World Days in Belfast in June 20 - 30 000 are expected at that....
This year I must get back to Skye , my main aim though is to bag the Mullardoch Round.
steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion