walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Munro with a wean

Munro with a wean

Postby nfornick » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:47 pm

Hi

I have a one year old and we're thinking of taking him up his first munro sometime later this year when the weather improves a bit. I wondered if anyone has any experience of carrying a little one up a mountain. We have a backpack thingy which he likes to be in. I'm a reasonably experienced walker - I think I've done about 40 munros but I honestly don't know - but my partner has never been over 3000 feet in Scotland.

Also any opinion about which would be the best first munro for him. I was thinking Ben Lomond (it's near to where we live in the central belt and it seems to be a relatively straightforward ascent, and I've never been up it) but any other thoughts would be useful.

Ta
nfornick

Re: Munro with a wean

Postby Sgurr » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:14 pm

If you've taken him already you'll know that even if you feel warm, he most definitely won't, and extra layers are a must. Ben Lomond seems fine if it must be a Munro, but so many people climb it, you may find it very slow as everyone will want to stop and say hello with him in the back pack. Make the most of the time he is relaltively immobile, because climbing a hill with a mobile small child takes about four times as long.

If it doesn't have to be a Munro, how about Ben A'an. Lots of fairly small kids do this, so will give him something to look at, and the view is fabulous. This wee guy we met up there must be well into his teens by now.
Image5 george aged 4 plus by Margaret Squires, on Flickr
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Veryhappybunny » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:30 pm

Ben A'n sounds a great idea - it is a super hill or do a walk on Conic Hill first - great views and a shorter outing.

There is a great wee book called 'the Hughs' which describes hills with attitude not altitude, and has lots of good ideas you could try and then build up to higher hills gradually. It would give a chance to get the clothing right before heading higher.
Veryhappybunny
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:159
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:90
Wainwrights:163   Islands:8

Postby M4RTIN » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:46 am

Nick,

A couple of reports which might give you a flavour for your young mountain goat, once he has his own boots.
Logged under my previous account, MG1976.

Schiehallion - 22/05/10 **Super-Chase**
Ben Chonzie - 19/06/10 **Super-Chase**
A Super-Day on Schiehallion, with the WH Juniors - 24/05/14

PS.
Bribery-by-Chocolate really works.
M4RTIN
Mountain Walker

Munros:125   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:10

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion