walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ben Klibreck and Ben Hope

Re: Ben Klibreck and Ben Hope

Postby WalkWithWallace » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:17 am

Ross Richardson wrote:Whats the rush?

I would normally agree, but it's a long drive and with the fuel prices it's probably good to cram in a bit more. :problem:
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby prog99 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:08 am

WalkWithWallace wrote:
Ross Richardson wrote:Whats the rush?

I would normally agree, but it's a long drive and with the fuel prices it's probably good to cram in a bit more. :problem:

Also (and my reasoning despite living quite close) is that neither is a desperately long walk so it extends the day quite a bit. Last time I combined them there was an inversion so nice to pop in and out the clouds twice during the day.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:53 am

Ross Richardson wrote:Whats the rush? Why not have to enjoyable days instead of cramming it into one? Most people on here seem to be obsessed with ticking off a list as quickly as possible rather than doing it for enjoyment.

Bit of an old thread, this one, but you could argue that combining them is the responsible thing to do if it saves a repeat trip and the expense and emissions that would involve. For most people it'll be a five hour trip each way unless they're staying nearby.

I do think Ben Klibreck in particular suffers from its location, though. If it were a bit closer to the rest of the Munros maybe more people would be tempted to do a bigger traverse of it down to the east side of Loch Choire and back to The Crask.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:59 pm

I've done a totally unscientific study on this and came up with this. :lol:
It is more common now for both these hills to be done in one day, driving between them rather than separately and on different days. Most folk on the munros are hard core baggers and 2 is better than one.

Me...I've only ever done them separately. I can tend to be quite lazy on the hills and often split doubles into singles. I was up on Stob Dearg (the buchaille) a couple of weeks ago. Spent over an hour near the top perched, and enjoying the view, over Rannoch Moor. I never bothered walking the ridge for the other one.

I have to admit to having my moments with some real long hard days (for me) taking in several summits but generally days are not overly tough.......but I'm not a hardcore munro bagger.....I don't think....am I??? :shock: :shock: :shock: ........ :?

I sometimes wonder. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby jmarkb » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:34 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:but I'm not a hardcore munro bagger.....I don't think....am I???

You can calculate your Bagger Quotient as follows: take the number of Munro ascents which contribute to your current and completed (if any) rounds, and divide this by your total number of Munro ascents ever. The closer this number is to 1, the more of a hardcore bagger you are. Can be applied to other lists as well, of course.

Mine is (282+241)/1020 = 0.51 which I guess is a fair bit lower than average?!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:35 pm

jmarkb wrote:
Sunset tripper wrote:but I'm not a hardcore munro bagger.....I don't think....am I???

You can calculate your Bagger Quotient as follows: take the number of Munro ascents which contribute to your current and completed (if any) rounds, and divide this by your total number of Munro ascents ever. The closer this number is to 1, the more of a hardcore bagger you are. Can be applied to other lists as well, of course.

Mine is (282+241)/1020 = 0.51 which I guess is a fair bit lower than average?!

0.99!

:lol:
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:22 pm

I dont have exact numbers but made a calculation and reckon I'm around 0.74 :shock:
I need to work on getting that number down. :D

1020 is an impressive tally jmarkb. Which one have you been up most often if you don't mind me asking?
Sunset tripper

Postby rockhopper » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:26 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:I've done a totally unscientific study on this and came up with this. :lol:
It is more common now for both these hills to be done in one day, driving between them rather than separately and on different days. Most folk on the munros are hard core baggers and 2 is better than one.

Interestingly, if you look at the number of walk reports for each of Klibreck and Hope (paste the tables into excel and pivot) and compare those with just an "M1" against those with something other than an "M1", the result is:
K...M1 43..Other 23, ie 65% just the one Munro of Klibreck
H...M1 61..Other 26, ie 70% just the one Munro of Hope
which suggests that, of those who wrote reports for a day/trip in the hills, approx 2/3 walked just the one Munro whereas 1/3 walked more than one Munro
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Dave Hewitt » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:37 pm

jmarkb wrote:You can calculate your Bagger Quotient as follows: take the number of Munro ascents which contribute to your current and completed (if any) rounds, and divide this by your total number of Munro ascents ever. The closer this number is to 1, the more of a hardcore bagger you are. Can be applied to other lists as well, of course.

Not that I'm doing a second round of Munros, but I seem to be (284+215)/1945 = 0.26.

For Donalds - again with no intention of a second round - I'm (140+100)/5369 = 0.04 !
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:13 am

rockhopper wrote:
Sunset tripper wrote:I've done a totally unscientific study on this and came up with this. :lol:

Interestingly, if you look at the number of walk reports for each of Klibreck and Hope (paste the tables into excel and pivot) and compare those with just an "M1" against those with something other than an "M1", the result is:
K...M1 43..Other 23, ie 65% just the one Munro of Klibreck
H...M1 61..Other 26, ie 70% just the one Munro of Hope
which suggests that, of those who wrote reports for a day/trip in the hills, approx 2/3 walked just the one Munro whereas 1/3 walked more than one Munro

Cheers rockhopper - I did say it was unscientific and a good method you have there.

Do you think more recently there has been a tendency for more folk to do 2 in a day or is it just my imagination? :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:34 am

Dave Hewitt wrote:
jmarkb wrote:You can calculate your Bagger Quotient as follows: take the number of Munro ascents which contribute to your current and completed (if any) rounds, and divide this by your total number of Munro ascents ever. The closer this number is to 1, the more of a hardcore bagger you are. Can be applied to other lists as well, of course.

Not that I'm doing a second round of Munros, but I seem to be (284+215)/1945 = 0.26.

For Donalds - again with no intention of a second round - I'm (140+100)/5369 = 0.04 !

That's impressive stats also Dave - you definitely cant be accused of being a Donald Bagger, though I guess we are all baggers to some extent. :?
Sunset tripper

Postby jmarkb » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:50 am

Sunset tripper wrote:reckon I'm around 0.74

That's definitely well below hardcore!

Sunset tripper wrote:1020 is an impressive tally jmarkb. Which one have you been up most often if you don't mind me asking?

Not so impressive given they are spread over 48 years! Most climbed are Ben Lawers (14) and Beinn Ghlas (12), then a bunch of 10s.

I guessed that DaveH would have some very low quotients!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:05 pm

jmarkb wrote:
Sunset tripper wrote:reckon I'm around 0.74

That's definitely well below hardcore!

Sunset tripper wrote:1020 is an impressive tally jmarkb. Which one have you been up most often if you don't mind me asking?

Not so impressive given they are spread over 48 years! Most climbed are Ben Lawers (14) and Beinn Ghlas (12), then a bunch of 10s.

I guessed that DaveH would have some very low quotients!

Great stuff jmark. My biggest number is on Ben Nevis 27 or 28. I'm also on double figures for Cairngorm and Macdui now. It's an easy jaunt for me. The Loch Lochy ones double figures also. Ben More on Mull and then the Glencoe Hills are next for me. My tally is way less than yours and I haven't done a full round though not far off it. I haven't been on
most of the Fannichs even though they are close by. I tried them twice and found them fairly uninspiring and bog ridden, probably just a bad time and I always intend to visit them in winter. No rhyme or reason to it though, because have been up Am Faochagach a few times now and aborted it twice also.

I never had a written record for years so a lot of my numbers are from memory, coupled with I have a lot of repeats on nearby non munros. - I think this should factored in to lower my quotient somehow. :lol:

*Edit I think I miscalculated my initial figure. I have redone it and got 0.702 ....... I think. :roll:
Sunset tripper

Postby Fiona Reid » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:28 pm

jmarkb wrote:

Ooops, I'm definitely on the bagger end, 3 full rounds one done when there were 284 Munros and 2 with 282 Munros, plus 65 on round 4. According to my Python code 995 Munros in total giving me a quotient of 0.917.
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Postby rockhopper » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:06 am

Sunset tripper wrote:Do you think more recently there has been a tendency for more folk to do 2 in a day or is it just my imagination? :D

I did some merging of both H and K numbers, deduplicated across both and then counted only those with M2 or more "Ms".

Looks as though there was a peak about seven years ago then tailed off.

M2 or more chart.jpg

Whereas M1 dipped about six years then rose again

M1.jpg
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion