walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Parking at Corrour?

Re: Parking at Corrour?

Postby mynthdd2 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:54 pm

.....I'm sure I mentioned the Loch Ossian YH as a credible option??? Ah me - my memory isn't what it was and I find myself repeating myself repeating myself
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby malky_c » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:03 pm

mynthdd2 wrote:.....I'm sure I mentioned the Loch Ossian YH as a credible option??? Ah me - my memory isn't what it was and I find myself repeating myself repeating myself

You did, but that doesn't buy you the magic key to the gate (unless you are French) :wink:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Veryhappybunny » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:53 am

I stayed in one of the estate cottages a a few years ago and the price was reasonable - and the estate staff were very friendly and helpful. It is a super base for 9 munros accessible without driving at all, and a number a short drive away. I managed the estate road in a Nissan micra, so you certainly don't need four wheel drive.

I see the Dolls house costs £450 for a week in March but I think you can have shorter breaks. We were a group so stayed in the larger Corrie Odhar, which was lovely.
Veryhappybunny
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:158
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:90
Wainwrights:163   Islands:8

Postby weedavie » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:44 pm

gaffr wrote:One of my trips in to this area was using the off-road bike in from Moy and up through the forest tracks to reach Loch Ossian. I would guess that you would need a strong bank account to stay at the very modern new Ossian Lodge. :)

A few years ago, 10 I guess, a friend was heading into Sgor Ghaibre about New Year. He passed Ossian Lodge and there was Bono standing in the doorway and waving as he went by. I guess his bank account was comfortable to cover it.
weedavie
Mountain Walker

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:18 pm

weedavie wrote:A few years ago, 10 I guess, a friend was heading into Sgor Ghaibre about New Year. He passed Ossian Lodge and there was Bono standing in the doorway and waving as he went by. I guess his bank account was comfortable to cover it.

Great story Davie. :D

Apologies in advance!

What's the difference between Bono and God?.......
God doesn't wander around Dublin thinking he's Bono. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Muzorewa » Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:55 pm

I enquired about the Corrour Lodge in 2015 and it was £30k per week. Mind you, that was for the whole building, fully staffed, fully catered, enough room for up to 14 adults and 14 kids in total. It's only rented out as the full building and fully staffed etc, so no wild parties!

But still way out of our league!
Muzorewa

Postby NickyRannoch » Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:48 pm

I drove to Rannoch Station and got train to Corrour to do the southern munros. The walk back to Rannoch isn't a huge amount more than walking back to Corrour by the time you are out in the hills.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby davekeiller » Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:32 pm

Depends where you need to drive to/from, but getting to Rannoch is a long way round.
If it was me, I'd probably either park at Dalwhinnie and do the hills from the east side, or else park at Tyndrum or Crianlarich and get the train to and from there (possibly shortening the walk by a day as train times were an issue).

Unfortunately, at the moment you need to check that the trains are actually running on the relevant days because of the impact of strike action. Scotrail (who operate the trains) and network rail (who own the track and operate the signals) are both involved in separate disputes.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion