walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Carnoch Bridge

Re: Carnoch Bridge

Postby crfishwick » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:10 am

gammy leg walker wrote:
ChrisButch wrote:I hear that Carnoch Bridge at the head of Loch Nevis has been condemned and will be coming down (I think for the third time in my hillwalking lifetime). Commitment to replace, but timing unknown. Has anybody recent experience with it? It's one thing for an engineer to condemn it, another to find it physically impossible to cross at one's own risk...

It's the PC brigade once again sticking there nose in

A sign saying Use at own risk would suffice

PC Brigade! No it is not. It is due to the threat of liability and being sued nowadays unfortunately.

A sign as above has been in place for years and nowadays that does not negate legal action by pratts. :(
crfishwick

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:49 pm

crfishwick wrote:
PC Brigade! No it is not. It is due to the threat of liability and being sued nowadays unfortunately.

A sign as above has been in place for years and nowadays that does not negate legal action by pratts. :(

Has this ever happened in Scotland where a hill walker/hiker has sued because of having an accident? It would set a dangerous precedent.
The steall rope bridge is an unsafe bridge and has a cross with care sign on it. Could that be taken down because someone has an accident on it or the threat of legal action?
I don't know the condition of the Carnoch bridge - maybe it was that dangerous that it was safer to take it down, but how many unsafe paths are there could they be closed off also? How does it all fit in with the access legislation?

There was a case on the Wicklaw Way in Ireland where a woman sued for several thousand euros after having an accident on a boardwalk, hopefully it is not something that spreads over here. (There was a thread on the WH forum about it but I can't find it :roll: )
Sunset tripper

Postby Robinho08 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:54 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:
crfishwick wrote:

Has this ever happened in Scotland where a hill walker/hiker has sued because of having an accident? It would set a dangerous precedent.
The steall rope bridge is an unsafe bridge and has a cross with care sign on it. Could that be taken down because someone has an accident on it or the threat of legal action?
I don't know the condition of the Carnoch bridge - maybe it was that dangerous that it was safer to take it down, but how many unsafe paths are there could they be closed off also? How does it all fit in with the access legislation?

There was a case on the Wicklaw Way in Ireland where a woman sued for several thousand euros after having an accident on a boardwalk, hopefully it is not something that spreads over here. (There was a thread on the WH forum about it but I can't find it :roll: )

Think the judge thankfully threw that case out in the end.
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:17 pm

Robinho08 wrote:
Sunset tripper wrote:
crfishwick wrote:

Think the judge thankfully threw that case out in the end.

Yes your right. I just found an article about it.
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/damages-award-to-hillwalker-who-tripped-on-wicklow-way-is-overturned-1.2979242
Sunset tripper

Postby crfishwick » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:04 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:
crfishwick wrote:

It will eventually be tested in a Scottish court. As for the Wicklaw Way incident a different country and laws. BTW She won initially and was only overturned on appeal! Next time a different outcome?

Landowners are very wary nowadays about litigation. Or are you suggesting they took it down to curtail walkers? Cannot be so as the estate is replacing it eventually in 2018 thankfully.

PC Brigade. Nonsense.
crfishwick

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:52 pm

charlie7000 wrote:Hello there,
I was hoping to walk from Fort William to Inverie via Glenfinnan, setting off on Monday. I haven't seen the Carnoch river with my own eyes so I was wondering how plausable fording somewhere near the site of the old bridge might be. The information I can find so far online suggests I will surely die if I attempt to cross the river when it is in spate.
Is that likely? I'm guessing unless there is a big thaw at the start of next week then the river level should be fairly low.
Any really specific information might be useful eg. I should attempt to cross the mud flats closer to the loch at low tide, somebody verifying the previous responders talk of a rock bridge further upstream etc.. Anybody else walked around lochan nam breac before? Basically I'm not going to cross anything deeper than the knee as a general rule - flow dependent.
If it is the case that attempting to cross will result in death does anyone have any suggestions for a long wander as I have a week off work, ideally starting in Fort William and returning by foot, boat, bus or train to Skye?
Thanks

I have walked this bit at Carnoch bridge about 5 times and to put it bluntly its a total deathtrap in spate,a few folk have come to grief crossing the river,another thing to take into account it is affected by the tide also,so if a lot of thaw/rain and tide is in river level will make it impossible to cross.One of the times going from Sourlies to Carnoch Bridge across the flat ground was shin deep in water,we had to do a lot of zig,zagging to avoid a lot of water.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:19 pm

crfishwick wrote:
It will eventually be tested in a Scottish court. As for the Wicklaw Way incident a different country and laws. BTW She won initially and was only overturned on appeal! Next time a different outcome?

Landowners are very wary nowadays about litigation. Or are you suggesting they took it down to curtail walkers? Cannot be so as the estate is replacing it eventually in 2018 thankfully.

PC Brigade. Nonsense.

Interesting thoughts.

I would like to think the Scottish courts would take a similar view to the Irish who I think got it right in the end.

They definitely are curtailing walkers by removing the bridge whether that is the intention or not.
I wonder if their legal position would be worse if walkers got in to trouble trying to ford the river when the delapitated bridge may have been a much safer option if it was still there.
They obviously knew for many years the bridge needed repaired or replaced so if the intention has always been to do this why the delay?
Whatever way you look at it the estate is restricting access.
Like I already said maybe the bridge was very unsafe and giving a walker the option to assess the river was the safer option which is fair enough. :?
Sunset tripper

Postby crfishwick » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:34 am

Sunset tripper wrote:
crfishwick wrote:

That is not technically a bridge! It was there so individuals who can use the "private dwelling" A private bothy can cross without wading.Not originally made for the general public to gain access to the Mamores..

So a completely different scenario. :wink:

Unless I am mistaken. :lol: And times have changed. :lol:
crfishwick

Postby geoff cantrell » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:40 am

So, to recap, CWT walking from Glenfinnan to Barisdale up the Carnoch is possible, with the river in spate, by staying on the eastern side, to either somewhere in the vicinity of the ruin at NM883993 or to the head of the glen at approx NG897001?
geoff cantrell
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:1

Postby crfishwick » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:10 am

geoff cantrell wrote:So, to recap, CWT walking from Glenfinnan to Barisdale up the Carnoch is possible, with the river in spate, by staying on the eastern side, to either somewhere in the vicinity of the ruin at NM883993 or to the head of the glen at approx NG897001?

Possible. But with extreme care. Don't take this as gospel. And as what was stated at the bridge. AT YOUR OWN RISK.

You could have a problem also at about NM 89048 94492 crossing the Finiskaig River :shock:

I'm leaving this thread now getting a bit risky to give advise to be honest.
crfishwick

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:52 pm

crfishwick wrote:
geoff cantrell wrote:So, to recap, CWT walking from Glenfinnan to Barisdale up the Carnoch is possible, with the river in spate, by staying on the eastern side, to either somewhere in the vicinity of the ruin at NM883993 or to the head of the glen at approx NG897001?

Possible. But with extreme care. Don't take this as gospel. And as what was stated at the bridge. AT YOUR OWN RISK.

You could have a problem also at about NM 89048 94492 crossing the Finiskaig River :shock:

I'm leaving this thread now getting a bit risky to give advise to be honest.

I can vouch for Finiskaig River,3 of us had to link arms together to get across while in spate when one of us slipped and he busted his ankle,took us over 2hrs to reached Sourlies where we left our friend and we went for help in Inverie,coastguard was called out.Coastguard were well pleased as they had a couple of new crew and it was not very often they ventured that far up Loch Nevis so it was good training for them as the tide was out.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby waffles » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:41 pm

Anyone got any suggestions for routes that will re-route around this bridge but still stick to the majority of the cape wrath?
waffles
Scrambler

Postby willsdad » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:04 pm

waffles wrote:Anyone got any suggestions for routes that will re-route around this bridge but still stick to the majority of the cape wrath?

The alternative route along the Great Glen.
willsdad
Backpacker

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:6

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:01 pm

waffles wrote:Anyone got any suggestions for routes that will re-route around this bridge but still stick to the majority of the cape wrath?

You could just follow the river up all the way, then over to Loch Quoich and thus down to Kinlochourn. It'll be rough and trackless of course. It has the added bonus that you might find somewhere to cross early enough to return to the original route, or allow you to climb to the Mam Unndalain and thus Barisdale.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Guinessman » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:27 pm

Another possibility would be to go via Kinbreak from Strathan and onwards to Claunie. The Kingie can be a problem in spate too.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion