walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Carnoch Bridge

Re: Carnoch Bridge

Postby Sgurr » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:43 pm

OR, you could go via the Oban bothy, Mallaig and Inverie. Oban bothy is super, and has been tarted up with camp beds.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=63858
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby crfishwick » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:27 am

Mal Grey wrote:
waffles wrote:Anyone got any suggestions for routes that will re-route around this bridge but still stick to the majority of the cape wrath?

You could just follow the river up all the way, then over to Loch Quoich and thus down to Kinlochourn. It'll be rough and trackless of course. It has the added bonus that you might find somewhere to cross early enough to return to the original route, or allow you to climb to the Mam Unndalain and thus Barisdale.

Doubt that. A problem there as you would need to climb through cliffs or bluff on the eastern side of the river across from the ruin IIRC. To pass there you need to be on the western side.
crfishwick

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:10 am

crfishwick wrote:
Mal Grey wrote:
waffles wrote:Anyone got any suggestions for routes that will re-route around this bridge but still stick to the majority of the cape wrath?

You could just follow the river up all the way, then over to Loch Quoich and thus down to Kinlochourn. It'll be rough and trackless of course. It has the added bonus that you might find somewhere to cross early enough to return to the original route, or allow you to climb to the Mam Unndalain and thus Barisdale.

Doubt that. A problem there as you would need to climb through cliffs or bluff on the eastern side of the river across from the ruin IIRC. To pass there you need to be on the western side.

Ah. I don't know it well enough to be sure, so best be safe. An acquaintance has supposedly done it, but he is a bit mad and might not have noticed climbing through dodgy cliffs...
I also know people who have taken canoes up this way to Quoich (!), mostly lining, but assume they used the west shore and obviously had a means of crossing the river!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Sgurr » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:40 am

Well, I certainly haven't done it. Just went on the trip report, so maybe you should ignore. Did think of going the north side of Loch Morar to do one of the Grahams at the end, but was put off by stories of the rough country and ended up doing it the easy way by boat.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby Sgurr » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:32 am

Sgurr wrote:OR, you could go via the Oban bothy, Mallaig and Inverie. Oban bothy is super, and has been tarted up with camp beds.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=63858

OOPS ignore this altogether. I have totally misremembered the terrain around here. Though according to the TR you CAN get from a to b.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby jmarkb » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:08 pm

Crossing the ridge north of Glen Dessary either by Bealach Coire na Gall or Feadan na Ciche should be doable, though fairly steep and rough. You could then follow the paths via the head of Loch Quoich and Lochan nan Breac to rejoin the normal route on the way up to Mam Unndalain.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby crfishwick » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:48 pm

[
Doubt that. A problem there as you would need to climb through cliffs or bluff on the eastern side of the river across from the ruin IIRC. To pass there you need to be on the western side.[/quote]

Ah. I don't know it well enough to be sure, so best be safe. An acquaintance has supposedly done it, but he is a bit mad and might not have noticed climbing through dodgy cliffs...
I also know people who have taken canoes up this way to Quoich (!), mostly lining, but assume they used the west shore and obviously had a means of crossing the river![/quote]

No I didn't till I tried it :lol: not recommended. :wink:
crfishwick

Postby ChrisButch » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:44 pm

crfishwick wrote:
Mal Grey wrote:

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the East bank is quite doable, though rough. No bad steps. The bluff where you need to get some way above the river is above the point where the river swings north-east after a due north reach.

On the bridge itself - I see that the Camusrory Estate still hasn't submitted a planning application for the bridge replacement. They could, of course, build and apply for retrospective permission, but judging by their planning record for other small works, they seem usually to go through the correct procedures.
ChrisButch

Postby waffles » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:40 am

Thanks for all the advice guys, I think my best bet will unfortunately be to do the Great Glen Way variant of the Cape Wrath rather than the Glenfinnan variant instead of just hoping the river isn't in spate :(

It looks a little dull for the first 25 miles but can probably get that out of the way in one day as it is so flat!
waffles
Scrambler

Postby Sgurr » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:50 pm

Have just read a post from OwdJockey where he dons crocs and gets through OK where the bridge is on March 29th, but I think there has probably been little rainfall over on the west lately, unlike the east, so you might be as well to avoid.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby Michan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:59 pm

willsdad wrote:
charlie7000 wrote:Hello there,
I was hoping to walk from Fort William to Inverie via Glenfinnan, setting off on Monday. I haven't seen the Carnoch river with my own eyes so I was wondering how plausable fording somewhere near the site of the old bridge might be. The information I can find so far online suggests I will surely die if I attempt to cross the river when it is in spate.
Is that likely? I'm guessing unless there is a big thaw at the start of next week then the river level should be fairly low.
Any really specific information might be useful eg. I should attempt to cross the mud flats closer to the loch at low tide, somebody verifying the previous responders talk of a rock bridge further upstream etc.. Anybody else walked around lochan nam breac before? Basically I'm not going to cross anything deeper than the knee as a general rule - flow dependent.
If it is the case that attempting to cross will result in death does anyone have any suggestions for a long wander as I have a week off work, ideally starting in Fort William and returning by foot, boat, bus or train to Skye?
Thanks

Hi Charlie

Can you let us know how you get on? I'm hoping to do Glenfinnan to Shiel Bridge later this month.
I enjoy that area so much I'm happy to turn around at the river if I can't cross. The walk back will be just as good.
Having passed through there before, the section of river at the bridge I don't remember being particularly deep. Although it wasn't in spate at the time. Like you I'll give knee deep a go but I won't take risks when I'm on my own.

Hi Willsdad and Charlie,

i was wondering if either of you have gone up there already by now? 2 friends of mine and i are planning to go from Glenfinnan to Inverie at the end of this month and are now trying to figure out what the best plan is.

kind regards, Mich
Michan
Scrambler

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:4   

Postby willsdad » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:06 pm

Hi Mich
I don't know about Charlie but I've changed my plans with the weather being as it has been. It's not my idea of fun spending a week soaked to the skin.
Fingers crossed you get a better week!
willsdad
Backpacker

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:6

Postby Moppy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:13 am

We crossed over from Sourlies to Barisdale around the 21st March. With the river not in spate it was fairly easy to cross around NM 886 976 without getting wet. Following the east bank further around the flank of Ben Aden though looked difficult- you would have to climb up a fair way.
Moppy
Scrambler

Munros:28   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:137   

Postby charlie7000 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:03 am

I made entirely different plans so can't offer any opinion I'm afraid. I am still alive.
charlie7000
Scrambler

Postby Michan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:17 pm

willsdad wrote:Hi Mich
I don't know about Charlie but I've changed my plans with the weather being as it has been. It's not my idea of fun spending a week soaked to the skin.
Fingers crossed you get a better week!

Thanks! Not far off now and the weather looks Scottish :)

ps. Right you are, i have had that before as well. Hope your other plans were fun as well
Michan
Scrambler

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:4   

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion