walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Carnoch Bridge

Carnoch Bridge

Postby ChrisButch » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:21 am

I hear that Carnoch Bridge at the head of Loch Nevis has been condemned and will be coming down (I think for the third time in my hillwalking lifetime). Commitment to replace, but timing unknown. Has anybody recent experience with it? It's one thing for an engineer to condemn it, another to find it physically impossible to cross at one's own risk...
ChrisButch

Re: Carnoch Bridge

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:28 am

ChrisButch wrote:I hear that Carnoch Bridge at the head of Loch Nevis has been condemned and will be coming down (I think for the third time in my hillwalking lifetime). Commitment to replace, but timing unknown. Has anybody recent experience with it? It's one thing for an engineer to condemn it, another to find it physically impossible to cross at one's own risk...

It's the PC brigade once again sticking there nose in

A sign saying Use at own risk would suffice
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisButch » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:17 pm

I'm not sure which estate is the landowner. Too far east for Kilchoan, but too far west for Glendessary?
ChrisButch

Postby Mal Grey » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:27 pm

ChrisButch wrote:I'm not sure which estate is the landowner. Too far east for Kilchoan, but too far west for Glendessary?

Probably Camusrory.

Not been there, but memory says I've seen pics of it in the last couple of years, probably on a trip report here, with a "use at your own risk" type sign and looking a bit iffy but crossable?
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby geoff cantrell » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:56 am

Morning all, we're planning a walk to Cape Wrath in the first weeks of May, coming this way from Glenfinnan, if this bridge is gone and not replaced by then and the river is in spate, is walking the eastern side and crossing higher up an option? Or is a re-route the only option??
geoff cantrell
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:1

Postby Robinho08 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:11 am

It can't be any worse than this bridge in Kintail, this was a few years ago now mind you:

Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby Sgurr » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:00 pm

If you look at geograph, you can see that some people ford the river, but note that the bridge is far better when in spate
http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=80787367

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1683603
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Sgurr » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:17 pm

"Who Owns Scotland" website has it as the Camusrory Estate (registered in the Bahamas but has an office in England,
The Estate Office, Warrens Bramshaw Lyndhurst Hampshire SO43 7JH. )
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Gareth Harper » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:20 pm

It's the PC brigade once again sticking there nose in

Do please tell us more.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:82
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Scottk » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:04 pm

geoff cantrell wrote:Morning all, we're planning a walk to Cape Wrath in the first weeks of May, coming this way from Glenfinnan, if this bridge is gone and not replaced by then and the river is in spate, is walking the eastern side and crossing higher up an option? Or is a re-route the only option??

Hi Geoff,
Apparently it is gone and won't be replaced by that time. This is being discussed on the TGOC forum at the moment as it impacts people coming from Torridon. The message below is from the TGOC organisers.
Please be careful if going this way!

"The crucial bridge over the River Carnach has gone and unlikely to be re-built before May. This river is impossible to cross in spate and these sorts of conditions mean that alternatives in the area are not very attractive. There are crossing places which are viable if the water is not too high, but there is a point at which the river simply is too risky to cross. People have drowned in this river and we don't want it to be any Challengers. The best option is to avoid the area completely and go through to Barrisdale and Kinloch Hourn, especially those of you who are less experienced and those who are new to walking in Scotland.

If those who have submitted their routes involving this area and want to change their first few days just re-submit route sheets. If you still want a Knoydart start, the route to Kinloch Hourn is a wonderful walk and you have choices when you get there. The road along Loch Quoich (also spelt Cuaich) with a very hilly start, is quiet and scenic."
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby ChrisButch » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:46 am

geoff cantrell wrote:Morning all, we're planning a walk to Cape Wrath in the first weeks of May, coming this way from Glenfinnan, if this bridge is gone and not replaced by then and the river is in spate, is walking the eastern side and crossing higher up an option? Or is a re-route the only option??

As far as I remember there's a natural rock bridge quite a long way up the glen, under the West ridge of Ben Aden. I don't know how reliable this is, and you do have to ford the stream coming off the South flank of Ben Aden before you get to it. Another possibility (hard but rewarding) is to carry on up the East side all the way till you get to the James Watt path from Lochan nan Breac over to Barrisdale
ChrisButch

Postby ChrisButch » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:46 pm

Correction, I'd forgotten that with that last alternative you do still have to cross the Carnoch before it emerges from the lochan (Breac), or else work right round the lochan before you get to the path, and the south flank of the lochan is steep ground. I went that way a long time ago, can't remember much about it. If doable, however, these quite demanding options are no longer than the 'normal' route, since you're missing out the big loop over Mam Meadhail and reascent to Mam Barrisdale. And the lochan is a magical place. You'd miss the bright lights of Inverie, though.
ChrisButch

Postby charlie7000 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:26 pm

Hello there,
I was hoping to walk from Fort William to Inverie via Glenfinnan, setting off on Monday. I haven't seen the Carnoch river with my own eyes so I was wondering how plausable fording somewhere near the site of the old bridge might be. The information I can find so far online suggests I will surely die if I attempt to cross the river when it is in spate.
Is that likely? I'm guessing unless there is a big thaw at the start of next week then the river level should be fairly low.
Any really specific information might be useful eg. I should attempt to cross the mud flats closer to the loch at low tide, somebody verifying the previous responders talk of a rock bridge further upstream etc.. Anybody else walked around lochan nam breac before? Basically I'm not going to cross anything deeper than the knee as a general rule - flow dependent.
If it is the case that attempting to cross will result in death does anyone have any suggestions for a long wander as I have a week off work, ideally starting in Fort William and returning by foot, boat, bus or train to Skye?
Thanks
charlie7000
Scrambler

Postby willsdad » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:39 am

charlie7000 wrote:Hello there,
I was hoping to walk from Fort William to Inverie via Glenfinnan, setting off on Monday. I haven't seen the Carnoch river with my own eyes so I was wondering how plausable fording somewhere near the site of the old bridge might be. The information I can find so far online suggests I will surely die if I attempt to cross the river when it is in spate.
Is that likely? I'm guessing unless there is a big thaw at the start of next week then the river level should be fairly low.
Any really specific information might be useful eg. I should attempt to cross the mud flats closer to the loch at low tide, somebody verifying the previous responders talk of a rock bridge further upstream etc.. Anybody else walked around lochan nam breac before? Basically I'm not going to cross anything deeper than the knee as a general rule - flow dependent.
If it is the case that attempting to cross will result in death does anyone have any suggestions for a long wander as I have a week off work, ideally starting in Fort William and returning by foot, boat, bus or train to Skye?
Thanks

Hi Charlie

Can you let us know how you get on? I'm hoping to do Glenfinnan to Shiel Bridge later this month.
I enjoy that area so much I'm happy to turn around at the river if I can't cross. The walk back will be just as good.
Having passed through there before, the section of river at the bridge I don't remember being particularly deep. Although it wasn't in spate at the time. Like you I'll give knee deep a go but I won't take risks when I'm on my own.
willsdad
Backpacker

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:6

Postby crfishwick » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:52 am

willsdad wrote:
Hi Charlie

Can you let us know how you get on? I'm hoping to do Glenfinnan to Shiel Bridge later this month.
I enjoy that area so much I'm happy to turn around at the river if I can't cross. The walk back will be just as good.
Having passed through there before, the section of river at the bridge I don't remember being particularly deep. Although it wasn't in spate at the time. Like you I'll give knee deep a go but I won't take risks when I'm on my own.

Sorry to say you will definitely have a problem with the bridge out of action. It will be a deep wade unless you cross further upstream West of Ben Aden near the ruin on the other side. Even that could be treacherous at that time of the year and a rough plod up the East side of the river.

If you can cross there you would be back on the CWT that I assume you will be following to Shiel Bridge.

Personally, I would leave it until Summer even then not an easy crossing unless the bridge is replaced by then.
crfishwick

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion