walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Carnoch Bridge

Re: Carnoch Bridge

Postby Michan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:21 pm

Moppy wrote:We crossed over from Sourlies to Barisdale around the 21st March. With the river not in spate it was fairly easy to cross around NM 886 976 without getting wet. Following the east bank further around the flank of Ben Aden though looked difficult- you would have to climb up a fair way.

Thanks so much for that info. For now, we decided to just head out there, only cross if we feel there is absolutely no risk and otherwise just head back and perhaps go up a munro on the way. That last option actually is starting like the most fun anyway since it means we will be longer away from civilisation (which we like).

Hope you had a great trip and thanks again!

Mich
Michan
Scrambler

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Scottk » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:47 pm

The latest update from TGO control is that the bridge has been removed by the estate.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:55 am

It was done back in February

We'll update as soon as we hear replaced.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Liam C » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:33 am

I used the info on this page whilst planning a Glenfinnan to Inverie hike, so thought it might be worth reporting how we got on.

The weather had been mostly dry for the week running up to crossing the river, but with one storm about 4 days before and heavy rain on the morning itself. We forded the river around 1km upstream of where the bridge had been (fording point marked on landranger map). You could clearly see riffles where the water was shallow, and it was ankle deep at most.

With prolonged heavy rain, it would be very different no doubt. But this was day two of our hike, and we had kept an eye on the weather forecasts, and SEPA live water levels info (published online) before setting off. Not one to attempt alone, and best to look, think carefully and be prepared to not cross if it looks unsafe. But do your homework before setting off and you should know what you're likely to find when you get there.

Cheers

Liam
Liam C

Postby ChrisButch » Tue May 08, 2018 5:14 pm

Planning permission has now been granted for the new bridge. The designs show a much more substantial piece of engineering than the old bridge, partly because it's intended to take the estate's ATVs as well as walkers. So it's not something which can simply be thrown across in a few days - even if work starts soon, I doubt if there will be a working bridge for some time yet.
Incidentally, I was amused to see that SEPA have imposed a condition that the bridge be capable of withstanding a 1 in 200 year flood. How would you calculate a 1 in 200 year flood for Knoydart, I wonder?
ChrisButch

Postby Sgurr » Tue May 08, 2018 10:51 pm

Son bought a house where SEPA assessed a 1/1000 year chance of getting flooded. You've guessed it.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby helenw » Wed May 09, 2018 9:25 am

As already posted planning permission now granted but the Estate says it the new bridge won't be in place until the end of the year so anyone planning CWT etc this summer needs to plan accordingly.
helenw
Site Admin

Fionas:19   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:93

Postby al78 » Wed May 09, 2018 11:33 am

ChrisButch wrote: How would you calculate a 1 in 200 year flood for Knoydart, I wonder?

Using observational data, computer modelling, topographic and river data, it is possible to make predictions for how rivers react given the intensity and duration of rainfall, taking into account land features such as soil type, vegetation and buildings. With modelling, estimates for flood severity can be linked to known land and river data and observations at monitoring stations. If you have reliable river level records, extreme value theory can be used to obtain river flows and flood levels corresponding to a return period of interest (e.g. 50, 100, 1000yr). Once you know how rivers react to rainfall, given the influences mentioned above, you can predict what river flows correspond to a particular return level at individual locations, and then interpolate (e.g. kriging) to obtain return level maps for the UK down to whatever resolution you require, given high enough resolution information about topography, rivers, land use, and rainfall records. I do something very similar in my job to produce return level maps for peak gust across the UK.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Lars_S » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:52 pm

Hello,
From the information I have been able to find it seems like there is still no bridge in place, is this correct?
I was planning to walk this route in early August, but if the risks of a serious incident are too big I will of course change my plans. Does anyone know the current state of River Carnach in terms of water levels?
I'm new to walking in Scotland but have done my fair share of mountain walks in Germany, Norway and my home country Sweden.
Lars_S
Mountaineer

Postby helenw » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:02 am

Hi Lars

Yes, it's correct that the new bridge is not yet in place - we will update as soon the work is completed, but for the time being you need to plan for no bridge.
helenw
Site Admin

Fionas:19   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:93

Postby Lars_S » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:45 am

Hello everyone.
Just wanted to get back to you as I've now completed my Glenfinnan - Inverie walk. The crossing of river Carnoch was very straightforward and didn't cause me any problems in the circumstances on that day.
However, I am of course aware of the possibility that this may change, so this is just to be seen as a description of my crossing on August 6, I don't wish to take responsibility for whatever the river conditions are today or in the future.
Lars_S
Mountaineer

Postby jmarkb » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:45 pm

Recent info from the Knoydart Foundation Ranger Service:

Carnach Bridge Update:
The bridge is currently being constructed off site, as yet no completion date has been given.
The estate are currently completing ground works in preparation for the arrival of the bridge. It is hoped that the bridge will be built by autumn and that there will be a suitable weather window by Christmas in which to helicopter the bridge in to position. Please note this is an estimate and dependent on many factors.
The estate would like to thank the many people who have offered voluntary assistance to the project, unfortunately for health and safety reasons they have been unable to accept these offers.

https://www.facebook.com/knoydartranger/posts/1806208496094639
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby al78 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:51 pm

Sounds like there is a good chance the bridge will be done by next summer. Knoydart is on my list of multi-day treks and I will plan to knock off some of the munros in that area next May/June if the bridge has been constructed by then.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:33 pm

gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby lochossian » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:15 am

Hello.
Does anyone have an update on the how they're getting on with the new bridge?
There seems to be no precise infornation available online apart from it should be constructed, weather dependent, in June (long shot) or July (more likely).
lochossian
Mountaineer

Munros:30   

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion