walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Glen Coe in Feb / March for some easy snow fun hill walking?

Glen Coe in Feb / March for some easy snow fun hill walking?

Postby Daymoth » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:34 pm

Hello all

This is my first post here, nice to meet you!

Mate and I would like to spend a weekend around Glen Coe hopefully when there is still snow.

I know it depends a lot on the weather, but is it common to still have snow on the hills around the glen up to march? Or is that unusual?

We have winter boots, crampons and ice axe but we are really new to winter hill walking so do you have any recomendations for routes around Glen Coe ( or Glen Nevis) for me to research were we can have some good snow practice ( as in conditions provided, good slopes without dangerous run outs were we can practice crampon walking and self arresting without high chances of getting hurt if we do it wrong).

Cheers!
Daymoth
Scrambler

Re: Glen Coe in Feb / March for some easy snow fun hill walk

Postby prog99 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:17 pm

Expect full winter in March unless its like last winter which at the moment isn't looking likely.

Wee Buachaille is straightforward enough, I've seen winter skills groups on it before.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:42 pm

Most years you'll still have plenty of snow about. Hopefully not too much (keep an eye on the SAIS conditions if there's still lots of snow https://www.sais.gov.uk/)

As mentioned, Buachaille Etive Beg is a good hill, relatively easy. However, still take it steady, its good to practice things like ice axe/crampon skills (walking with them, and emergency braking of falls) on a nice safe slope low down.

Before you go, perhaps practice your navigation skills in low visibility, these are arguably the most important part of going to the winter hills.

There's a saying that "there is no such thing as Scottish Winter Hillwalking, only Scottish Winter Mountaineering", so do take it one step at a time, but given that approach, you'll have a wonderful time.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Daymoth » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:14 pm

Cool thank you! I will start looking at reports and getting OS maps. I am already getting excited!

(So this is Beg and not Mor, right?)

Any other easy recomendations in the slim chance that the weather behaves 3 days in a row?

Cheers!
Daymoth
Scrambler

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:09 pm

Daymoth wrote:Cool thank you! I will start looking at reports and getting OS maps. I am already getting excited!

(So this is Beg and not Mor, right?)

Any other easy recomendations in the slim chance that the weather behaves 3 days in a row?

Cheers!

Yes, Beag.

The westernmost of the Mamores, Mullach nan Coirean, is relatively straightforward, then there's the Pap of Glencoe (short steep bit at top) and the hill behind Glencoe ski resort, Meall a ' Bhuiridh. The hills of Beinn a' Bheithir can be approached via the path up Gleann a' Chaolais.

Buachaille Etive Mor will depend on conditions, the "normal" route has a steep exit from the coire to the ridge, and is notorious for avalanche risks. Bidean nam Ban is well protected from most sides, a bit more complex so maybe one for once you've a few days under your belt.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Postby Daymoth » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:42 pm

This is so useful, million thanks, will start doing homework on the first lot you recomended :)
Daymoth
Scrambler

Postby jmarkb » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:24 pm

Some great suggestions from Mal.

Sgurr Eilde Mor would be another reasonable objective, as would Beinn Fhionnlaidh (either from Glen Creran or Glen Etive).
There are some useful lower hills for shorter days or if the weather is not great, such as Mam na Gualainn, Beinn a' Chrulaiste, and Garbh Bheinn (the Loch Leven one).
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Daymoth » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:22 pm

Its me again, have been reading the winter conditions post and the SAIS website.

We are not properly trained in avalanches ( just awareness) so we would want to go when the chances of a good stable snowpack are highest and chances of aborting the trip are lower. I know this is impossible to predict but hoping based on other year conditions you can give me a feel for what is expectable? We dont know the area other than for a summer stop so I dont know what type of snowpack I should be ready for).

So if you had to buy the flight to Edimburg/Glasgow now ( im in the flat southeast) , would you go for mid feb or mid march to hope for safer snow conditions?

Also, anywhere near fort william where we can rent a shovel,probe and transceiver?

Cheers!
Daymoth
Scrambler

Postby jmarkb » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:50 pm

It’s impossible to say what you are going to get, but go ahead and book your trip: it will almost always be possible to choose safe routes that stick to ridges and avoid steep ground, even if that means doing some smaller hills instead of the Munros.

On average, stability tends to improve as Spring approaches but there are no guarantees.

There’s not much point in hiring transceivers etc. unless you have done some training in their use. Few other hillwalkers carry them so you would be relying only on yourselves. Avoidance is by far the most important skill. Some of the key places in Glencoe to be aware of that can be hazardous are Coire nan Tulaich on the Buachaille, the head of the Lost Valley, and the gully underneath Church Door Buttress on Bidean.
Last edited by jmarkb on Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:51 pm

Daymoth wrote:Its me again, have been reading the winter conditions post and the SAIS website.

We are not properly trained in avalanches ( just awareness) so we would want to go when the chances of a good stable snowpack are highest and chances of aborting the trip are lower. I know this is impossible to predict but hoping based on other year conditions you can give me a feel for what is expectable? We dont know the area other than for a summer stop so I dont know what type of snowpack I should be ready for).

So if you had to buy the flight to Edimburg/Glasgow now ( im in the flat southeast) , would you go for mid feb or mid march to hope for safer snow conditions?

Also, anywhere near fort william where we can rent a shovel,probe and transceiver?

Cheers!

Unfortunately that question cannot be answered, its simply not that predictable. Either could be good or bad. All you can do is plan alternatives that mean you go for the safest routes whichever week you pick.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Postby Daymoth » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:13 am

Yeah Im not trying to predict, just understand usual behaviours in an area I am not familiar with.

Will note those sketchy areas to avoid them, thanks.

Still trying to find a place that rents mountaineering stuff in case we dont want to check in ice axes on the flight. I can just see sky / snowboard stuff. Is Ellis Brigham in Fort William the place to ask?

Cheers
Daymoth
Scrambler

Postby Ben Nachie » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:29 am

A Google Search suggests Ellis Brigham may do. Nevisport rent ice axes and they are conveniently located in the centre of Fort William. It seems the Snow Goose outdoor centre rent them too.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:51 am

Glen Coe itself tends to be a bit steep and dangerous, not the best place to start out. A good place to go for ice axe and crampon practice is the Aonach Mhor ski area, now known as Nevis Ranges. You can get a ski gondola up to about two thousand feet on Aonach Mhor, then a short walk around the side of the hill takes you away from the skiers and into some gradually steepening slopes with cliffs and gullies for the more experienced. The snow around these parts lasts longer and you can check on the on-line cameras to see what the conditions are like. https://www.nevisrange.co.uk/
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Daymoth » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:35 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:Glen Coe itself tends to be a bit steep and dangerous, not the best place to start out. A good place to go for ice axe and crampon practice is the Aonach Mhor ski area, now known as Nevis Ranges. You can get a ski gondola up to about two thousand feet on Aonach Mhor, then a short walk around the side of the hill takes you away from the skiers and into some gradually steepening slopes with cliffs and gullies for the more experienced. The snow around these parts lasts longer and you can check on the on-line cameras to see what the conditions are like. https://www.nevisrange.co.uk/

Oh interesting! Defenetly will check it out! Sounds like a better bet for unexperienced people like us.

Thank you all for your help!
Daymoth
Scrambler

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:10 pm

And at the Nevis Ranges there is a small cafe up on the hillside at the top of the gondola cable, so if the weather suddenly changes you can shelter with hot chocolate and wait for the gondola to take you down, instead of being stuck up a mountain in a blizzard.

January 10 Aonach Mhor gully 2.JPG
Aonach Mhor

January 10 Aonach Mhor fence.JPG
Icy view on Aonach Mhor

January 10 Aonach Mhor gully.JPG
Aonach Mhor gully climbing
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion