walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

How did you first take to the hills?

Re: How did you first take to the hills?

Postby StevieC » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:07 pm

I went to Stirling Uni in the eighties, so I suppose my first hill was Dumyat...it looms over the campus and is fairly easy to get up

My first "proper" hill was a few years after leaving university. We were having a bit of a uni reunion by renting a cabin somewhere near Muir of Ord over the New Year period. One of our group was into his hillwalking so we arranged to do Ben Wyvis on New Years Day. I don't remember much about it...I was dressed in borrowed boots, jeans, woolly jumper and borrowed waterproof jacket. All I really remember is approaching the summit in a blizzard - total whiteout conditions - and thinking I was about to die.

I did a few other hills over the next twenty-odd years with the same friends...usually in winter for some reason. It's only in the last ten years or so that I've been going out more regularly, properly equipped and usually on my own. Looking back I think my first experience up Ben Wyvis actually put me off hillwalking for quite a while!
StevieC
Hill Bagger

Munros:75   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby litljortindan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:41 pm

Was always fascinated early on in life by views of distant hills in Galloway and the Lake District but never got close enough to climb anything until aged ten when I ascended Almagill Hill with my sister. That was quite an adventure with gates to climb and muddy fields to cross but we made it and got great views over the Solway Plain. Also had a school trip about the same time to Burnswark and I can still remember the drama of the view across the plain to Criffel and across the Solway Firth to the Lake District.
Nothing much followed until I was twenty years old and took to cycling which led to cycling and walking and a first few small hills via bike. Joined Dundee Uni Rucksack Club in 1988 and this got me farther afield and onto higher hills but it was an Autumn ascent of Ben Cruachan that really got me hooked.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Daymoth » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:19 pm

Love reading these stories.

SO and me just started hill walking and camping 4 years ago, so Im taking notes about how to gain experience!
Daymoth
Scrambler

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:14 pm

I grew up in the Yorkshire Dales, and being a scout in addition, it was just part of my youth. In my teens it was mainly caving, though, and then at Uni only the odd hill in the hols. A year working in the Alborz mountains in Iran got me back into it again (fantastic mountain there), but then I went to the far east for a good few years, and during that time I was pretty focused on windsurfing. The windsurfing theme continued when I returned to the UK, though with the odd sally up into the Highlands, until I moved up to Wolverhampton, within striking distance of Snowdonia, when I restarted yet again, especially when I had to drive through the mountains several times a week when I was working on Anglesey. Those views were just irresistable!

But the real big change came a few years ago when I realised I'd soon be 60. I'd always planned to do the Cuillin Ridge, as my dad had recommended it, having done it as a 21 year old, and for some reason I'd got it into my head that I wouldn't be fit enough after 60. As it turned out, that has proved quite an erroneous idea, and I managed to do the ridge a couple of times and the Mullardoch round in my 60th year. Since then I haven't looked back...

Age doesn't have to be too much of a barrier if one keeps reasonably fit and is not plagued by knee, hip and the like problems (in which matter I've been fantastically fortunate) - certainly I haven't noticed a sudden precipitous fall in fitness, either on reaching 60, or indeed 65 - touching every piece of wood I can see as I write this..... This rediscovery of the mountains has been one of the most wonderful things that's happened in my life over the past few years, and now I'm enjoying it doubly through introducing my grandsons to the magic.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby malky_c » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:22 pm

litljortindan wrote: Joined Dundee Uni Rucksack Club in 1988.

Me too, although in 2000 8) . I doubt there's any crossover in membership (although I do know a few very long-term members), but interesting to know anyway :D
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby mrssanta » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:54 pm

KatTai wrote:As a kid we used to go up Roseberry Topping...not a hill that counts as anything though.

that's a terrible thing to say Kat!
I never heard of Roseberry Topping till we moved to Teesside in 1988 but it is a good wee hill, nice and steep, accessible, great views, bit of scramble if you want it, and a way onto the moors if you want a long walk. We go up it to keep fit as it is just near our house.
We define other hills by how many Roseberry Toppings. for instance Ben Nevis is seven Roseberry Toppings, one after the other.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:01 am

mrssanta wrote:
KatTai wrote:As a kid we used to go up Roseberry Topping...not a hill that counts as anything though.

that's a terrible thing to say Kat!
I never heard of Roseberry Topping till we moved to Teesside in 1988 but it is a good wee hill, nice and steep, accessible, great views, bit of scramble if you want it, and a way onto the moors if you want a long walk. We go up it to keep fit as it is just near our house.
We define other hills by how many Roseberry Toppings. for instance Ben Nevis is seven Roseberry Toppings, one after the other.

I believe my first self-propelled hill was Roseberry Topping. So its definitely a mountain!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby ally63 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:13 am

Quite by chance my job took me up my very first mountain, Shanlieve in the Mournes, in 2010. Although I've always lived less than an hour's drive away I'd never climbed any of the mountains in my (almost) 50yrs. Whilst the circumstances around being there weren't particularly pleasant, I thoroughly enjoyed the daily hike into, and onto the mountain summit. As has already been said but I'll say it anyway, needless to say the rest is history.
Annual winter trips to Scotland, springtime visits to Wales, summer excursions to the Alps (Mont Blanc and Matterhorn inc) and countless days here in Ireland have all been experienced with life affirming enjoyment and, occasionally, life threatening fear.....but I wouldn't change any of it :crazy:
ally63
Munro compleatist

Munros:33   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:14   

Postby abbruce » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:22 pm

Good question

Used to do a lot of mountain biking which involved regular trips to Aviemore & Ft William. Before one trip to Ft W, was asked if I'd been up Ben Nevis, so wife & I bought cheap boots & went up the tourist path on a lovely sunny day.

Enjoyed ourselves & the view so much we started climbing other hills, often using the bikes to cycle in. Now holidays are spent in the hills rather than the saddle.
abbruce
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:23
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:68   

Postby SuperMillie » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:15 pm

In my early years, life was taken up by Football, Football, Football and Football. There was also a wee bit of Golf, Cycling, Skiing, Street Football, Tap Door Run, Hide & Seek, Kick the can (you’re probably too young to remember), etc.

I did run up and down Arthurs Seat and the Pentland hills on numerous occasions, just for a wee bit of fun with the mates, but at that time it never crossed my mind that this could or should be done as a hobby\pass time or recreational pursuit.

I was living in Norfolk for a while, and during this time regularly returned to Edinburgh for a wee visit. While back in Scotland, I’d make many a trip through Glencoe, where I’d marvel at the size and beauty of the mountains, and the sheer majesty of the place.

Still I had no desire to climb any of these mountains. This delight came to me out of nowhere….

One day I decided to set off for, and climb Ben An, I have absolutely no idea why, but I was full of enthusiasm and jumped into the car and headed to the Trossachs. It was a gloriously sunny day and I was full of the joys of spring or maybe summer or fall….to be honest I have no idea which one it was.

Arriving at the car park, I got out and grabbed my jacket and rucksack, which had pretty much nothing in it apart from a bottle of water and a sandwich.

To say I was naïve, is an understatement. It never crossed my mind that you would need to prepare for these kinds of things. As far as I was concerned, you just put on some boots and a jacket (if the weather’s bad) and start walking. What’s difficult about that?

The problem is, when you get to the car park, you need to have some kind of idea in which direction to leave it. Well, I had no idea, but I did know that if you head to the entrance of the car park and keep walking, you’ll end up in a Loch, so it was down to three sides (N,S,E & W never came into it at this point).

Anyhoo, there was a sign post in the car park which told you where you were. It didn’t tell you where any of the hills were but luckily enough, there were plenty of other people arriving at the car park so all I had to do was follow them, easy peasy!!

We all set off to the right of the car park (NE to you and me) and up a wee track, then along a walkway to another wee car park. We then headed left, up through the trees, across an open expanse of ground, up past a water fall – where I met a guy who had to abandon his walk up because he’d run out of water, so was waiting for his party to return – Amateur!! :lol: – Then it started to get steep and I was struggling. After a few false summits, I eventually made it to the top, knackered but full of Glory – I’d become a Mountaineer!! :D

I sat and had my Sandwiches, basking in my own glory and got talking to a couple who arrived a few minutes after me.
The guy pulled out a massive pair of binoculars and was surveying the hills around us. He then asked if I’d like to have a look, so I jumped at the opportunity.

It was still a beautiful hot sunny day with blue open skies so you could see for miles. I sat watching the cruise ships crossing over Loch Katrine and started surveying some people who were climbing up a wee hill directly opposite us. The couple I was sitting with looked like they knew what they were doing –they had big ruck sacks, maps, compasses, gaiters, amazing professional looking walking boots and jackets and BIG binoculars – so I asked them if they knew what hill it was; Ben An came the response :roll:

Oh dear….

And so, it appears my first foray into hill walking came by means of climbing Ben Venue (who knew) :lol:
Although I got lost and ended up on the wrong hill, the whole experience boosted me on to do more. In a funny kind of way it bolstered my confidence, in that I’d climbed a hill far higher than I had intended or even thought I could manage at that time.

And so the journey continues to inspire and amaze!
SuperMillie
Munro compleatist

Munros:108   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:12

Postby StevieC » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:51 pm

^^ LOL! I thought it was unusual someone turning back half way up Ben A'an because they'd run out of water :lol:
StevieC
Hill Bagger

Munros:75   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Sgurr » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:23 pm

SuperMillie wrote:And so, it appears my first foray into hill walking came by means of climbing Ben Venue (who knew)?

I just loved this. SuperConfident. I don't know how long it was before I did my first solo hill-walk (well, I could find out, but it would be too embarrassing.)
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:00 pm

SuperMillie wrote:I
And so, it appears my first foray into hill walking came by means of climbing Ben Venue (who knew) :lol:
Although I got lost and ended up on the wrong hill, the whole experience boosted me on to do more. In a funny kind of way it bolstered my confidence, in that I’d climbed a hill far higher than I had intended or even thought I could manage at that time.

And so the journey continues to inspire and amaze!

Brilliant! So vividly described, I can tell how much that day meant to you!

Keep 'em coming folk, these stories are wonderful.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:27 pm

What a wonderful thread. Some really uplifting and relatable stuff here, folks.

I don’t have any family history of outdoorsy stuff. Solid drinkers, smokers and gamblers throughout, with a healthy sprinkling of heart disease and other co-morbidities. So discovering my love of the hills is very much self-driven.

At 17 a mate got a car and - goodness knows why - decided we all needed to go hillwalking.
So, my first couple of Munros were done when I was 17-18. Mount Keen, Lochnagar.…local to my home town of Aberdeen.

Couple of years later the same mate dragged me up Liathach in jeans, Doc Martins and a cagoule in March.

I’ll repeat that: LIATHACH IN JEANS, DOC MARTINS AND A CAGOULE.

IN MARCH.

Pause for 20 years. Then in early 2000s, I did the odd one-off Munro with an old work pal from 30 odd yrs. ago. Our annual day out and catch-up together. One tick a year for 6-7 years. That got me to about a dozen or so blue ticks. Fast forward a few years, and following my divorce, I found I had a lot of spare time on my hands.

So, for what reason I do not know (boredom at work?) I started reading about hills, looking at top notch photography of Scottish hills websites (Craig Aitchison, Colin Prior etc). That got me interested in TGO magazine - mostly for the pretty pictures. And around early 2010 I thought: I can do that.

I started off with the dramatic ones: Liathach (again), Ben Hope, Alder etc. That was me pretty much hooked.

For whatever reason, I lost my Mojo big time last year ... only got 7 new ticks. :( But ... a MASSIVE PLUS for me ... I’ve introduced my two boys to the hills. They’ve done a dozen or so, which I’m really delighted about.

I can honestly say some of my happiest, most fulfilling, most uplifting moments have been in the hills. We can all say that, I’m sure.

I was fifty last April. Instead of having a big party, friends, rellies, booze, pointless pressies etc., I thought “Bugger that. I’m going to do what I want to do”. So my two boys and I bagged a hill on the West of Drumochter. We had a great day. Cold and damp, but great views down Loch Ericht towards Ben Alder. At night we got home and went for a Chinese takeaway. Now THAT’S how to celebrate a half century. :D

A couple of significant learning points for me:

1) I’m really kicking myself that I was late in my bagging career in introducing myself to the Cairngorms. My first few years I did the Southern Highlands, Perthshire hills and some in the West and almost totally overlooked the Cairngorms. Now, however, they’re far and away my favourite hills.

2) I much prefer walking solo. Although I’ve had some great days in great company, I’m an isolationist at heart and my best days (111/147) have been solo outings.
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby BobMcBob » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:26 pm

Lightfoot2017 wrote:I’ll repeat that: LIATHACH IN JEANS, DOC MARTINS AND A CAGOULE.

Ha! :D Reminds me of one of my first ventures without parents. Me and a mate went up something in the Lakes (I still don't know which one it was, he said he could read a map so I let him) dressed in jeans in wooly jumpers. In April. In horizontal rain. Got drenched and lost. After that I bought my first breathable waterproofs and a map case. Funny how you learn :D
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion