walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

How did you first take to the hills?

Re: How did you first take to the hills?

Postby litljortindan » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:16 am

malky_c wrote:
litljortindan wrote: Joined Dundee Uni Rucksack Club in 1988.

Me too, although in 2000 8) . I doubt there's any crossover in membership (although I do know a few very long-term members), but interesting to know anyway :D

That was the final year of my degree, when I should have been studying I suppose. Prior to that I'd dedicated Saturdays to Tannadice. Maybe the disappointment of the UEFA cup final in '87 played its part in my turning to the hills. Wouldn't have had any such problem in 2000 though.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby litljortindan » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:24 am

SuperMillie wrote:In my early years, life was taken up by Football, Football, Football and Football. There was also a wee bit of Golf, Cycling, Skiing, Street Football, Tap Door Run, Hide & Seek, Kick the can (you’re probably too young to remember), etc.

I did run up and down Arthurs Seat and the Pentland hills on numerous occasions, just for a wee bit of fun with the mates, but at that time it never crossed my mind that this could or should be done as a hobby\pass time or recreational pursuit.

I was living in Norfolk for a while, and during this time regularly returned to Edinburgh for a wee visit. While back in Scotland, I’d make many a trip through Glencoe, where I’d marvel at the size and beauty of the mountains, and the sheer majesty of the place.

Still I had no desire to climb any of these mountains. This delight came to me out of nowhere….

One day I decided to set off for, and climb Ben An, I have absolutely no idea why, but I was full of enthusiasm and jumped into the car and headed to the Trossachs. It was a gloriously sunny day and I was full of the joys of spring or maybe summer or fall….to be honest I have no idea which one it was.

Arriving at the car park, I got out and grabbed my jacket and rucksack, which had pretty much nothing in it apart from a bottle of water and a sandwich.

To say I was naïve, is an understatement. It never crossed my mind that you would need to prepare for these kinds of things. As far as I was concerned, you just put on some boots and a jacket (if the weather’s bad) and start walking. What’s difficult about that?

The problem is, when you get to the car park, you need to have some kind of idea in which direction to leave it. Well, I had no idea, but I did know that if you head to the entrance of the car park and keep walking, you’ll end up in a Loch, so it was down to three sides (N,S,E & W never came into it at this point).

Anyhoo, there was a sign post in the car park which told you where you were. It didn’t tell you where any of the hills were but luckily enough, there were plenty of other people arriving at the car park so all I had to do was follow them, easy peasy!!

We all set off to the right of the car park (NE to you and me) and up a wee track, then along a walkway to another wee car park. We then headed left, up through the trees, across an open expanse of ground, up past a water fall – where I met a guy who had to abandon his walk up because he’d run out of water, so was waiting for his party to return – Amateur!! :lol: – Then it started to get steep and I was struggling. After a few false summits, I eventually made it to the top, knackered but full of Glory – I’d become a Mountaineer!! :D

I sat and had my Sandwiches, basking in my own glory and got talking to a couple who arrived a few minutes after me.
The guy pulled out a massive pair of binoculars and was surveying the hills around us. He then asked if I’d like to have a look, so I jumped at the opportunity.

It was still a beautiful hot sunny day with blue open skies so you could see for miles. I sat watching the cruise ships crossing over Loch Katrine and started surveying some people who were climbing up a wee hill directly opposite us. The couple I was sitting with looked like they knew what they were doing –they had big ruck sacks, maps, compasses, gaiters, amazing professional looking walking boots and jackets and BIG binoculars – so I asked them if they knew what hill it was; Ben An came the response :roll:

Oh dear….

And so, it appears my first foray into hill walking came by means of climbing Ben Venue (who knew) :lol:
Although I got lost and ended up on the wrong hill, the whole experience boosted me on to do more. In a funny kind of way it bolstered my confidence, in that I’d climbed a hill far higher than I had intended or even thought I could manage at that time.

And so the journey continues to inspire and amaze!

Great story!
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby SuperMillie » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:56 am

Great story!

Thanks litljortindan

Just read your Ben A'an TR, great photo's and great to see what it looks like.
Never did re-visit Ben A'an, too worried I'll repeat the same mistake !! :lol:

Supermillie
SuperMillie
Munro compleatist

Munros:108   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:12

Postby Beaner001 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:36 pm

I was a relatively late starter at the age of 26. I was away for long periods and when I was at home like others it was spent with my girlfriend (now wife) or my mates, no time for the hills. In that time my dad was picking away at the Munros and he dragged me up Bynack More. We had a terrible argument coming down as I had a sore knee and he wanted to go over Bynack Beg which I had no interest in so I stormed off down the side into Strath Nethy and he went to the top then returned back to the route we took up and sontered back down the path and was waiting for me at the footbridge over the river nethy where I appeared sodden, angry and tired. I learned that lesson and a few others from him very quickly and they have stood me in good stead since. The most important one was that safety before summit, he deliberately turned us back from Sgor Gaoith one day (appeared manageable conditions) as he didn't fancy it, it was the lesson he was trying to teach me not the weather - that turning back and going again another day is possible and to learn from the disappointment that not every hill trip should offer a certain summit. I have since turned back a good few times. I have done a few mountain walking courses but it is the experience my dad gave me that has made me confident enough to head out alone on the longer walks.

Nice thread, enjoyed reading this one.
Cheers
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:53 pm

Looking back I think my initial interest came from a Coach tour to Austria with my parents, we never flew as my mum was scared of flying, something that seems to have passed on to me. But that was the first time I had seen mountains, and was awestruck. A later holiday by coach again to the lakes and having not been far out of London before, I was again struck by the beauty of this place.
Once working a few weekends away with my work pals initially to Devon and Cornwall for a weekend, until we switched to the Lakes. A pair of boots bought and a Neoprene waterproof, borrowed rucksack and that was it. Over the ensuing years I climbed the 46 highest fells in the Lakes (according to my Poucher Guidebook) but trips to Scotland were rare.
But work pals got the bug, although some were mostly talk and no action, which happens, but the first trip North to do the AE Ridge, by leaving work Friday night (from the centre of London), walk the ridge on Saturday and drive home. Well almost, Saturday aborted due to high winds, so we did it Sunday on a beautiful day, finishing at the Bridge of Orchy Hotel eating dinner at 2000hrs, and due in work at 0800 next day !! We were only an hour late :lol: :lol:
As has been said its not about getting a summit, if your word and soul are truly into the wilderness that our country provides, these things are of little significance, you will get fulfilment from walking that you will struggle to find in day to day life. Or you can sit at home and just read about it, as I did when I lived so far away, and I still read those same books, they whet the appetite for numerous possibilities :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:09 pm

My story...

My hillwalking adventure started in my late teens with me being a Girl Guide. Despite living 600km from the nearest mountains, I spent school/university hols in Bieszczady (Polish-Slovakian border). These hills are similar in character to the Cairngorms, if more forested. Imagine a group of 20-30 wild teenagers loose in the woods :lol: Even heavy rucksack wouldn't stop us. I was always the most ambitious, always first on the summit, I hated defeat.

Then I was taken in by sailing and gave up Bieszczady for the Mazurian Lakeland. Most of holidays in my 20ties were spent having fun on sailing boats (or sometimes being thrown overboard for to much meowing :wink: ). So I tasted both the hills and the waves, before being completely absorbed by other commitments...

Later I moved to France and concentrated on my studies & work, had no time for outdoor adventures of any kind. Again, I was the ambitious one, I wanted to be the best. 6 days a week in the lab and Sunday writing up the results. It was tough time for me, a couple of years under huge pressure. Eventually, having finished the big project, I was so mentally exhausted, that I couldn't take part in this rat race any more. I left France for Scotland, hoping that the Highlands will give me the emotional cure I so badly needed.

I fell in love with Scotland straight away. I also fell in love with a certain local hillwalker. Originally, the Highland job was just for a short time, to rest and recharge my batteries, but my love for both mountains and Mr K was too strong. So I stayed and no regrets. Sometimes I look back at my life and I think what would've happened if I'd returned to the Mainland... Would I be happy?... Good question. Probably not.

12 years and 450 summits later, I'm a different person. The ambitious young girl, desperate for success at all cost does not exist any more. The mountains have taught me a humble lesson. I walked through fear, tears, pain, cold and desperation. I don't have to be the first to the summit any more. I don't have to push it too far. I can do what I'm able to and I feel happy with myself. At the same time, I discovered the kind of inner strength in me, I never thought I had.

My husband played a huge role in this transformation. He has always been my voice of reason and my safety harness. Sometimes when we stand together on a mountain top, looking at the views below us, then we look at each other and we know that we found the kind of happiness, we'd never experience anywhere else.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Magoo82 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:03 pm

I wasn't from a very outdoorsy family. Looking back, my first introduction to the hills was through the Boys Brigade. We'd go camping for a week in the summer with loads of hillwalking, mountain-biking, canoeing, gorge-walking, all that sort of stuff. We'd also go to bunkhouses for a weekend in spring and a weekend in autumn to do the same. Us boys usually got a choice of activities but I was usually attracted to the hillwalking because it was something you didn't need to be particularly talented to enjoy.

My late teens and most of my 20s saw no hillwalking done. I guess your priorities change. I was more interested in playing football, getting drunk, and chasing women. And that was basically the way it went for about ten years.

Then I got a bad knee injury playing football, damaging the medial ligament. I tried to come back from it but it had changed the way I ran and I started to get lower back injuries. By the age of 28 the amateur football career was finished and I felt I needed some sort of activity to act as a counterbalance to my chaotic lifestyle at the time.

I remembered enjoying hillwalking when I was in the BB so I went for a walk up Ben Vrackie and enjoyed it. The following weekend I went for a walk up Schiehallion and enjoyed that aswell. I didn't really know what I was doing with the navigation and planning side of things so I tagged along with the NCR Hillwalking club in Dundee for a year or so to learn the basics. But once I had a wee bit of confidence I started heading out on my own, I just preferred it that way.

Since then I've had a few amazing trips abroad to places I never thought I'd visit, and some wonderful trips to parts of Scotland that I didn't even know existed. Hillwalking's been a great source of inspiration and a trigger for my imagination.
Magoo82
Mountain Walker

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:2   Islands:15

Postby arjh » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:16 am

This is a great thread. :)

I was brought up and still live in Sussex, a county of many hills but no mountains. At the age of 13-14 I was taken by my scout troop to the Brecon Beacons. We had always had family holidays to mountainous parts of the UK but had tended to walk through the scenery rather than up it. My scout leader demurred, we would be going to the top...

We climbed Cribyn via the Bryn Teg in clag. Anyone who has done this route knows that in poor visibility this is an unending stream of false summits, which to a young teenager can be pretty dispiriting. We paused about 15 minutes from the summit and for a split second the cloud cleared from the top. The last few feet of Cribyn are the rocky platforms beloved of the main Beacons ridge instead of the grassiness of the Bryn Teg and so it was like looking at a window on the top of Everest for me. At that point I could have felt the task was beyond me but for some reason I just thought 'wow' instead.

Then when I was 18 and had just passed my driving test my parents announced that they were going to the Lake District for their summer holiday and as I was old enough to do something else if I wanted did I still want to come? No, I said, I'll take your car Mum, follow you up to the Lakes and after a night's stopover with you I will carry on, over the border... I spent two weeks camping and hostelling round Scotland and have been back every year since (bar one when I went round Ireland instead).

I now lead an Explorer Scout unit linked to the group that originally inspired me. These things come full circle...
arjh
Wanderer

Munros:116   Corbetts:27
Fionas:14   Donalds:13+8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:187   Islands:6

Postby mountainsofscotland » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:10 pm

My influences:
School hillwalking club introduced me to 'hills' in 1982 (my gear was schoolbag, DM shoes, Peter Storm cagoule, ...).
Munro Show introduced me to the concept of 'Munros' in 1991.
Joined my first Mountaineering Club in 2001 which got me well on the road to completing the Munros and introduced me to climbing.
Joined Scottish Hills website in 2007 which encouraged me to also do Corbetts, Grahams and Donalds.
Relative Hills of Britain, in 2009, encouraged me to get to 600 then 1000 Marilyns.

... but it is now all about getting out of the house and just enjoying myself.
mountainsofscotland

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:376   Hewitts:126
Wainwrights:150   Islands:49

Postby emmybecca » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:23 am

it was a good day. I still remember how was i shivering.
emmybecca

Postby Sgurr » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:46 pm

spiderwebb wrote:, so we did it Sunday on a beautiful day, finishing at the Bridge of Orchy Hotel eating dinner at 2000hrs, and due in work at 0800 next day !! We were only an hour late :lol: :lol:

Friend of ours always used to walk in Wales from London. Trying to keep to a deadline despite the appalling weather in Wales, he walked into the office as a solitary snow-flake was descending wearing a cagoule and carrying an ice-axe. His boss looked up from his desk and said "Isn't this a trifle excessive?"
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion