walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Afraid of cows

Afraid of cows

Postby peter4lc » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:06 pm

I've done a lot of walking in my time without ever being bothered by cows. I've walked the South West Coast Path and the Cotswold Way where cows are frequently on the path, but it was almost always possible to give them a wide berth; and often when I had no choice but to walk through them, other walkers were present, which makes one feel safer. Cattle-related tragedies seem to have been more often in the news for the last ten years or so, but I had the impression that all the fatalities had occurred when dogs and calves were present. And on the mountains of England and Wales where I've done most of my walking, it's rare to encounter cattle.

In May last year, having walked the Thames Path gradually over a number of years, I walked the last few days from Oxford to Kemble. On a wet morning near Newbridge, I was walking through a field with a bend in it. Halfway across the field I became aware of a herd of cattle perhaps 50 yards away. One stood up and started moving towards me, the others followed and they broke out into a run. There was no escape route from the riverside path. As they came close I turned round and spoke sharply to the ringleader; that stopped them momentarily, but as I walked off they started to run again. This happened three times until I reached the sanctuary of the gate, with my heart pounding. They were probably just curious, but I wasn't willing to wait and find out. Two days later near Lechlade, something similar happened, but this time I was protected by an electric fence. Goodness knows what would have happened otherwise, as these cows were doing more than trotting. From there until the end of the path, the mere presence of a cow in a field was enough to make me seek a lengthy detour.

Yes, I wasn't hurt, but it's changed my approach to cattle, and I'm not at all sure that I want to add to my tally of long distance paths. I would still do so if in a group; but I enjoy solo walking as I appreciate the views better alone. Statistically, the chances of being trampled by cattle are small, but the very existence of the risk takes a lot of the enjoyment away. So I'm now sticking to climbing 2,000 foot mountains which in any case is my first love; but it would be nice to have the choice.

Does anyone else have their walking habits affected by cattle?
peter4lc

Re: Afraid of cows

Postby Holly » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:31 pm

I admit to being terrified of cows and have had a few "moments". I have two dogs which increases the risk however and I am aware of that.
I too am mostly a solo walker, or have been. Only recently have some friends from work joined me and this is more frequent now.
So how do I manage the cattle problem? I check the Walkhighlands routes on here and then also check the walk reports provided by members. These usually mention if there are cattle at the bottom of hills and on longer distance low level ones, the maps also can give you an idea of alternatives you can take to avoid the big furry beasties.
I still have the anxiety but my desire to do a route overrides my fear and I deal with it whilst minimising the risk with forward planning!
I have gone without my dogs on the few routes where I am afraid I cannot take an alternative option.
Can I suggest you consider the walkhighland reports when planning and that should help .
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby mynthdd2 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:38 pm

I'm ok with cows and no problem at all with highland coo's but.......a bull in a field with or without calves? When I did Offa's Dyke path a bull got out (over a shoulder high gate) in hot pursuit of some cows and when stumped turned towards me - with swift presence of mind (and a full rucksack) I dived over a cemetery wall and stood up to see said bull leaping the wall to join me....back over I went and into the back of the worried farmers pick up....

so cows yes bulls no (and this from someone who has backpacked through remote African game parks)
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:03 pm

I never worried about cattle until we were charged by a large cow in a lane in Dartmoor, there was no escape and the only way we held it at bay was walking backwards swearing at it, every time we turned our backs on it, it was head down and charging.
There are plenty of mountains to explore that are cattle free :D so we research routes well and avoid any where we may encounter unfenced cattle. If we ever decide to complete this Munros this could prove a bit of a problem :lol: .
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Ben Nachie » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:42 am

In my experience cows are curious but nervous beasts. Only once did I have occasion to leg it from a field. I has ascended Ben More near Crianlarich from the main road via an empty field. On my return the field was no longer empty but had a herd of highland cattle in it. Trouble was there were calves too, and their mothers were feeling a little protective. Half way across the field I spotted the cows heading towards me and I could tell from their demeanour that they were not so much curious as displeased, so I made a swift exit over the gate to the road.

As someone who lives in a rural location I can say that in general coos are friendly beasts and nothing to be feart of.

Once, as a student, I was on a field trip and had to return to the minibus through a farm. There was a huge bull on the path, just standing there. It was taller than us. My companion and I had no option but to go past it. We stood for a minute or two then decided we had no option but just to go for it so we carefully and quietly crept past it. It didn't even bat an eyelid.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:54 am

Cows - a terrible ailment indeed. I do my bit by eating them.

cows#2.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby RocksRock » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:49 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74912

My info on this thread might help if faced with cattle. But if I met cattle with calves I would be feart too.
RocksRock

Munros:4   Corbetts:7
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:26   Islands:8

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:00 pm

I think they are just curious and maybe they think you will feed them. A stick of some sort is useful to guide them away from you like a farmer would do.

I've not really had much bother from them apart from once when cycling back from Iron Lodge in Kintail and a highland coo which was a bit mental tried to stick its 2 foot long horns through my pals front spokes which I found amusing at first until it picked on me. :shock:
Sunset tripper

Postby Chris Mac » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:02 am

I like cows, as Sunset Tripper says they are just curious and for me very friendly, always looking for a snack which i'm happy to provide. :)

The Curious Cows of Cairnpapple Hill
https://www.flickr.com/photos/djchrismac/sets/72157687321087093

Bulls on the other hand, scare the life out of me...!
ImageDSCF0296 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I still didn't feel safe passing this muscly beast with a fence between us! :shock:
ImageDSCF0297 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Perhaps having farmer genes and them being in a field behind several houses over the years has reinforced my comfort with them but I guess it's different for everyone. I imagine that like dogs, they will pick up on your nervous energy and get a bit edgy if you are too.
Chris Mac

Munros:61   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby PeteR » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:42 am

On release from a PoW camp after WWII my Old Man worked as a herdsman for a while. On my first visit to Scotland as a weedy 8 year old I was out walking with him in a field full of cattle one time, including a lovely big bull as I recall. I'm not sure if the Old Man was trying to be helpful or just a little twisted, but he allowed said bull to come between the two of us........even the passing of time can't dim the fear I felt that day :lol: The Old Man laughed, I suspect to make me realise there was nothing to fear

When I'm out on the hills these days I've taken to talking to the cattle, just to let them know I mean them no harm. For the most part they just stare at me, most likely confused, and carry on munching grass and letting off wind. On occassion Mr Bull has stood up as I walk by, so after a quick chat to make it quite clear I'm not interested in his misuss's I keep my head down, don't make eye contact and walk a tad faster. It hasn't been tested yet, but I'm hoping that if needs be I can outrun a bull should he ever take offence to me :lol:

This particular creature did try and hurdle the fence and flatten me while I was walking up Carn Pat last year......... :shock: so they are not always placid

ImageP1370561 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Gareth Harper » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:54 pm

It hasn't been tested yet, but I'm hoping that if needs be I can outrun a bull should he ever take offence to me :lol:

Presumably you can also, if need be, outrun Usain Bolt. Apparently, a bull at full pelt runs at about 35mph.

I haven’t had any real issues with cattle – so far. One young calf did follow me as I was heading out towards Ceapabhal on South Harris. The calf was close behind me making quite a bit of noise and the mother decided to follow on just to make sure everything was OK. I stopped and turned a few times, looking down and talking to them. I headed down onto the dunes and they lost interest in me. Certainly got my heart rate up a bit.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:83
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:40 pm

I must confess to being a little nervous of our bovine friends. But generally I've had few issues over the years, probably because I tend to give them a wide birth. When in Austria one time me and my family passed a fellow hiker who had presumably been friendly with one of the many cows on the pastures and had for his trouble collected quite a herd of followers. He looked somewhat nervous as he headed for the refuge with a dozen beasts nudging and licking him, perhaps he'd promised them an ice cream?
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby mynthdd2 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:12 pm

I know its not a cow (clever me) but I had a brush with a stag in full rut threat in Glen Affric ......a pony ran at me on a narrow path on the Pem Coastal Path...usually ok with sheep and rabbits tho
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby KatTai » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:13 pm

I'm scared of cows as well, like Holly I walk solo with my dog(s) so I'm aware that also makes the risk greater. Where ever possible I avoid walking through fields of cows, though I did make it up Ben Lomond going though the field that had cows in it and I've heard a few bad things about that lot! For the most part I check the walk description and previous trip reports to see if there are likely to be cattle on route and if it seems likely I choose an alternative. If I do accidentally end up having to go through a field of cows I usually wait for more people to catch up and follow them :lol: But I have turned around and gone back rather than go though fields of cattle.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:55   
Islands:32

Postby PeteR » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:50 pm

Gareth Harper wrote:
It hasn't been tested yet, but I'm hoping that if needs be I can outrun a bull should he ever take offence to me :lol:

Presumably you can also, if need be, outrun Usain Bolt. Apparently, a bull at full pelt runs at about 35mph.

:lol: I'd best not annoy any bulls then.........as I'm certainly no Usain Bolt :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion