walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

toothache

toothache

Postby litljortindan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:55 pm

Just wondered if anyone else suffers from toothache after hillwalking? My theory is that if vibrating toothbrushes are best at getting plaque out then maybe the impact of walking followed by the vibration of a long return drive act in the opposite fashion. Needless to say I do take a toothbrush with me nowadays, well since the onset of this problem. The dentist didn't think much of my theory though, I have to say.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: toothache

Postby BobMcBob » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:02 pm

I've had mysterious toothaches for years and years and walking does sometimes bring them on. All the available evidence and best guesses by a plethora of medical professionals haven't drawn any firm conclusions but the following helped me. A lot.

1. Sensodyne toothpaste. Working on the theory that I have sensitive teeth and am breathing in a lot of cold air through my mouth.

2. Neck and shoulder exercises. I suffer with stiff shoulders anyway, and a day of rucsacking sometimes doesn't agree. The stiffness can run up my neck and into my jaw, and causes a very strange kind of pain that feels like toothache but isn't. I had this confirmed recently when a visit to the physio cured it. Relax your jaw, neck, and shoulders as much as you can. See if it helps.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby nigheandonn » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:19 pm

Sounds like it might be sinus pain, which I do get in the cold, but usually in my eyebrows!
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby RocksRock » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:44 pm

Oh yes! Cold air does for my teeth too - :( I'm told it's patches of thin enamel on my somewhat older teeth. Recommendation from dentist is heavy duty fluoride toothpaste daily (Duraphat 2800 ppm) which you can buy from your dentist or he/she can give your a script to acquire it via chemist. Plus something like Sensodyne applied thickly by fingers all over and around teeth and rubbed in. Spit out excess, no rinsing. Then off I go and life is much happier :D . I now keep Sensodyne in my boot bag in car! If i don't do this I get the pain when I go into a warm place on returning from my walk. No Sensodyne? then I need Ibruprofen for the pain. Hope this helps
RocksRock

Munros:4   Corbetts:7
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:26   Islands:8

Postby litljortindan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:09 pm

BobMcBob wrote:I've had mysterious toothaches for years and years and walking does sometimes bring them on. All the available evidence and best guesses by a plethora of medical professionals haven't drawn any firm conclusions but the following helped me. A lot.

1. Sensodyne toothpaste. Working on the theory that I have sensitive teeth and am breathing in a lot of cold air through my mouth.

2. Neck and shoulder exercises. I suffer with stiff shoulders anyway, and a day of rucsacking sometimes doesn't agree. The stiffness can run up my neck and into my jaw, and causes a very strange kind of pain that feels like toothache but isn't. I had this confirmed recently when a visit to the physio cured it. Relax your jaw, neck, and shoulders as much as you can. See if it helps.

I have been prone to frozen shoulder occasionally so may be something in that.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:12 pm

litljortindan wrote:
BobMcBob wrote:I've had mysterious toothaches for years and years and walking does sometimes bring them on. All the available evidence and best guesses by a plethora of medical professionals haven't drawn any firm conclusions but the following helped me. A lot.

I have been prone to frozen shoulder occasionally so may be something in that.

That sounds like my experience except I was only getting toothache after getting in the car and as soon as I ate something. So far brushing my teeth before I start my return car journey works and, yes, another Sensodyne addict.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby treehugger » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:57 pm

Its headache with me. A proper hike (that gets the blood pumping) isnt great for my bonce. I always have aspirin in my rucksack.
Have sensitive teeth/sensodyne too, but walking doesnt affect that.................
treehugger

Postby Sgurr » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:33 pm

Sister in law and husband used to discuss how they would cope with tooth loss, appendicitis etc. in the wilds. In her case it was semi serious as she goes to third world countries for months at a time teaching. However, since she gave husband a do-it-yourself dental kit as a semi joke Xmas present, he doesn't suffer from toothache. Maybe you should invest in one. Re. headaches, he hasn't had one walking since he realised it was probably dehydration and drinks either tonic or dioralyte to cure it. I don't seem to get these conditions.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:53 pm

Maybe the cold as discussed, but also de-hydration. I have noticed I occasionally get a toothache, or sinus, or front-of-head headache when not as well hydrated as I should be.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion