walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Spooky bothy

Re: Spooky bothy

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:22 pm

Having said that it was a great trip overall and the bothy was in great condition.
I don't want to put anyone off going. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:35 pm

Spent a few nights on my tod at the bothy on the way up from Glen Tanar to Mount Keen. (I'm sure some folks on here will be able to name it, but my memory escapes me).

As a 17yo that was pretty spooky. No weird noises or anything untoward. Just the very oppressive feeling of being ALONE. I relish those feelings these days when I'm out on the hill.

Funny thing was I woke up each morning to find cattle staring in the windows at me. Got a few lovely pics as I recall.
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:11 pm

Read this and save me repeating myself... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52883&p=282599&hilit=+sheilings#p282599
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby kevsbald » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:33 pm

Every December I do a bothy trip with Graeme D - the only time I've felt 'spooked' was at Burleywhag - nipped out for a pee through the night and the mist/babbling burn made me nip inside tout de suite. Then, there's the guy at Brattleburn who said he could shave with his axe....true story.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Graeme D » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:55 pm

kevsbald wrote:Every December I do a bothy trip with Graeme D - the only time I've felt 'spooked' was at Burleywhag - nipped out for a pee through the night and the mist/babbling burn made me nip inside tout de suite. Then, there's the guy at Brattleburn who said he could shave with his axe....true story.

I could definitely hear a banjo playing that night in Brattleburn! :shock: :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby abs70 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:00 pm

Knockdamph - cold, despite a roaring fire, bleak and creepy... the beds upstairs don't help. In fact any bothy with beds.
abs70
Mountain Walker

Munros:167   
Hewitts:100
Wainwrights:214   

Postby FraserHughes » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:12 pm

abs70 wrote:Knockdamph - cold, despite a roaring fire, bleak and creepy... the beds upstairs don't help. In fact any bothy with beds.

I'm with you on that. There is something tragic about a metal framed bed with no mattress.

I stopped in Laggan Cottage on Arran by myself this summer and that was pretty creepy. The internal fabric of the place is in bad way; bits of the roof are falling in, some of the stairs and upstairs floor boards are missing, the beds are rusted, and the windows have all been boarded up.

There was also a hole in the door so the whole place was full so roosting sparrows, and sparrow droppings. Someone had nailed up a polythene sheet over the door to one of the rooms, presumably to stop them getting in, but all that had done was make it look like a sealed off crime scene! :shock:

Still better than being outside with the midges mind :lol:
FraserHughes

Postby nick70 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:44 pm

FraserHughes wrote:
abs70 wrote:Knockdamph - cold, despite a roaring fire, bleak and creepy... the beds upstairs don't help. In fact any bothy with beds.

I'm with you on that. There is something tragic about a metal framed bed with no mattress.

I stopped in Laggan Cottage on Arran by myself this summer and that was pretty creepy. The internal fabric of the place is in bad way; bits of the roof are falling in, some of the stairs and upstairs floor boards are missing, the beds are rusted, and the windows have all been boarded up.

There was also a hole in the door so the whole place was full so roosting sparrows, and sparrow droppings. Someone had nailed up a polythene sheet over the door to one of the rooms, presumably to stop them getting in, but all that had done was make it look like a sealed off crime scene! :shock:

Still better than being outside with the midges mind :lol:

Hi Fraser

I was in the same Laggan Cottage on Saturday 22 September just past there. I can't say I found it that spooky. I never noticed an upstairs though, although to be fair I wasn't looking too hard.

I stayed in the room directly as you come in. Also in that room was a wooden double bed frame (no mattress obviously), but judging by the colouration of the wood, it looked like a new (or relatively) new frame. It seemed bizarre to me, how new it seemed, but I didn't look a gift horse in the mouth and with the side cabinets I was able to stow all my gear rather nicely.

I do wonder what is happening with the cottage though. I did see some sign of an 'Arran estate' phone number about and it did look like there was some gear for some renovations.

I wonder if maybe the MBA can get in touch and actually make it into a bothy before it does actaully become derelict and condemned.
nick70

Postby FraserHughes » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:25 am

Maybe creepy was the wrong word, I still slept well, but it seemed a sad place. It had the feel of somewhere that had been abandoned quickly, and was now unloved and slowly become derelict.

It sounds like someone has been doing it up a bit though. When I was there the room straight in front was was full of rubbish, broken furniture etc, and swallows! I didn't investigate too much in there as I didn't want to disturb their roost but there definately wasn't a bed...

The stairs are in corner of the room on the right.

It might be a bit accessable for the MBA but it is a fantastic location, I saw an otter and some dolphins on the walk in along the coast, so I do hope the estate are doing something with it. I don't like to see these old buildings falling into disrepair, seems somehow disrepectful the memory of the people who once worked so hard to make a living and a home there. (However, I'm aware that is a rather over-setimental view!)
FraserHughes

Postby Paranormal Producer » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:23 pm

Anyone out there had spooky bothy experience and want to tell me all about it?
I'm a BBC producer making a paranormal series and I'm looking for ghostly Highland happenings. Particularly those from bothies - Ben Alder is a fav. This series is about making sense of our paranormal interactions and experiences - not judging or debunking but exploring.
Email me at Sarah(dot)patten(dot)ext(at)bbc(dot)co(dot)uk.

Thanks!
Paranormal Producer
Ambler

Postby Scraggygoat » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:51 am

I was in Ben Alder once, and another party was telling the McCooks story, of which Ive already heard many permutation’s. Just after he finished, in that moment of silence before someone speaks there was a whoosh and loud thump outside.

Upon investigating unbeknown to us it had been snowing heavily and there had been a big slide off the roof.

In Bearnais one night there was a metallic banging outside a short distance from the Bothy in the small hours. Pee soup fog so we couldn’t see what it was not accurately identifying direction and we couldn’t be bothered to investigate further. No evidence in the morning. But there is the old metal fence line and it was at the end of the rut so there are possibilities.

That was a good trip, arrived, set up before the rain and wrote in the Bothy book I was awaiting the Bearnais Bothy Babes to arrive with coal, whisky and a four course meal, all to be carried to me over several munros.

Another party arrived, having walked in on the flat, read my entry and laughed. I just smiled back. It got dark and they commented that my dreams were over. To which I replied the babes weren’t scared of the dark, and maybe they fancied the Corbett as well. More time past and more mick was taken.

Then the Bothy babes arrived; you should have seen the look on their faces. And yes they had decided to add the Corbett.
Scraggygoat

Postby AyrshireAlps » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:18 am

@WalkWithWallace will tell a spooky tale of how he was locked in a bothy by an eerie stranger, and one of his party was so scared they nearly soiled themselves :roll: :lol:
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:13 pm

AyrshireAlps wrote:@WalkWithWallace will tell a spooky tale of how he was locked in a bothy by an eerie stranger, and one of his party was so scared they nearly soiled themselves :roll: :lol:

Did this "Eerie Stranger" have a beard, wear a Sou'wester, smell strongly of Captain Morgan's Dark Spiced Rum and refer frequently to the subject of cannibalism as a means of sustenance? :shock:
** asking for a friend
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby AyrshireAlps » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:42 pm

No, he actually seemed awrite :wink:
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby dave munn » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:19 pm

Spent many’s a night in Staoineag and only once felt a little at ease, though most times was with company. Was spooked one night by a stag rustling about outside. In early 80s had a fantastic few days based at Ben Alder in excellent spring conditions. Despite the bothy being quite busy, there was a distinct sense of unease, possibly down to the stories and my youthfulness at the time. Shenavall all has never made me feel like that.
dave munn
Mountain Walker

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion