walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

knee replacements and hill walking

Re: knee replacements and hill walking

Postby Moder-dye » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:22 pm

That's good news Barbara, it'll be worth it in the long-term and really there's no choice as they won't get better.

I've had a week of incarceration on the sofa with, but managed to get out short walks on the road today with ice and elevation in between. It is getting better, its just very slow progress and going to need more time of work than I'd planned. I just have to tell myself to be patient now so I can get back at it.

Best wishes for your op when it comes around
Moder-dye
Hill Bagger

Postby mrssanta » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:43 am

That's great news RocksRock,
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby RocksRock » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:30 pm

Hi mrssanta, it is indeed - quite a relief to find what we've been doing has achieved full extension. Now to keep it there until O-day.........................and also to keep up the hill climbing muscles for afterwards, not been doing much up hill walking this year :)
RocksRock

Munros:4   Corbetts:7
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:26   Islands:8

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:38 am

RocksRock wrote:Hi mrssanta, it is indeed - quite a relief to find what we've been doing has achieved full extension. Now to keep it there until O-day.........................and also to keep up the hill climbing muscles for afterwards, not been doing much up hill walking this year :)

Very glad to hear that the consultation went well and you have a plan for the replacements!

The point about muscles (as per your earlier post) is one I forget to mention...

Pre-operation, I tried to do small walks any time I could, to maintain the muscles. (When I say "maintain" I do not mean training or anything that hurts too much! I just mean that I walked a couple of miles circuit round my local park, two or three times a week).

After the op, I just did the physio exercises and nothing else - and of course, walked on crutches, then walking sticks, for a good while.

I was lucky; my hospital had a physio centre where I would go each week. The most tricky thing was getting on the bus to go there.

After a few weeks I asked the physios about walking and they said I could try a short walk. I would walk to a cafe, sit there for an hour, then walk home.

At this point, getting to the park seemed like a big target and I was excited when I first managed it. And very tired afterwards.

My first hill walk was Stiperstones which is about 500m of ascent, taken very slowly. And then a few weeks after that I did Striding Edge and I was fine!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby RocksRock » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:01 pm

Hi HMHT,

I've ben trying to walk as far as feels OK several times a week, it varies from day t day and I just go with the flow. Gentle uphill is still OK, its down hill that's poor. Still a bit of ingenuity can get me to the nice bits of he park...I can also still manage c 20 mins on rower and 15 on bike in gym so that's certainly helping, and physios have given me some new exercises to add now we know where we are going....................the knee has now realised that I'm not allowed any more steroid, the last lot is wearing off................ :( and it has decided to protest. Whatever, we will get there.
ATB
RR
RocksRock

Munros:4   Corbetts:7
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:26   Islands:8

Postby Moder-dye » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:09 pm

I had 2 lots of steroid shots on the run up to my op and thought they didn't really help much, that is until when I couldn't have any more 3 months before the op (one consultant said he'd want 6 months after and injection) I realised how much they had been helping really.

I tried a flat walk yesterday to a local view point as we had a clear spell (5.5km total) and I'm suffering today. Obviously too much for it still, despite going steady and having sits.
Moder-dye
Hill Bagger

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:25 pm

Moder-dye wrote:I had 2 lots of steroid shots on the run up to my op and thought they didn't really help much, that is until when I couldn't have any more 3 months before the op (one consultant said he'd want 6 months after and injection) I realised how much they had been helping really.

I tried a flat walk yesterday to a local view point as we had a clear spell (5.5km total) and I'm suffering today. Obviously too much for it still, despite going steady and having sits.

Pre-op, I think the steroid injections definitely help. I have them in my non-replaced knee every three months. By about 2 1/2 months after an injection, I start to feel much higher levels of pain but by that time it is only a couple of weeks to the next injection. (I am probably about 1 year off having the second knee replaced).

Post-op, my first "walk" was to the bus stop, perhaps 100 yards. I thin upped it to about half a mile to the cafe, sit down for an hour, then walked home. I did this for a few weeks.

I didn't set myself any targets, as my mind does not respond to targets. But one day came along when I felt a little more energetic, so I did a mile-long walk non-stop (but slowly) in the park, and I felt fine. Partly though it was maybe psychological, because it was a nice spring day!

After that I gradually increased my walks in the park day by day, depending on how I felt. At that point I was still using the curved handle wooden walking sticks that the hospital gave me. (I still use them - for a couple of days after each time I have the steroid injection).

You have a good level of general fitness, and that helps a lot, I think. I am not particularly fit - but, comparing myself to people in my physio class who were much more unfit than me, I noticed that they were making slower progress than I was.

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby Moder-dye » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:35 pm

Yeh, cheers Tim. I need to take a leaf out of your book and not be so keen. I've still got the fitness and strength, but my knee is obviously not up to putting it into practise.

I'm just desperate to get back to work if nothing else, but as my job is an Outdoor Access Officer I'll have some challenges! Saying that overdoing it is obviously not going to make it happen quicker!

Best wishes for the next op when you have it.

Kevin
Moder-dye
Hill Bagger

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:37 pm

Cheers Kevin, and good luck with it!

TIm
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion