walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Long stay parking in Drymen

Long stay parking in Drymen

Postby mrriff » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:10 pm

I'm planning to walk the Rob Roy Way in a couple of months and was wondering if Drymen has the facilities to park my van for the duration of the walk?
I'm walking the trail with my dog who doesn't do well on public transport (travelling from Stockport). Travelling from Pitlochy back to Drymen at the end is a journey he could just about cope with, but a full journey there and back from home would be far too much for him.

Any tips or locations to park would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
mrriff
Mountaineer

Munros:4   
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:4   

Re: Long stay parking in Drymen

Postby major ac » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:02 pm

Might be worthwhile contacting the Mountain Rescue Team (Lomond) who are based in Drymen and seeing if they would let you park your van in their car park for the week. The least you can get is a NO :?

Failing that I've a few friends in Drymen who might let you park outside their house if you're really stuck.

My concern is how you would get back to Drymen after the walk as you might be best getting the train back and then would need to get a bus from Balloch. In this case it might be better parking at the National Park Headquarters in Balloch (free public car park) and then getting a bus to Drymen before the walk rather than having to get a bus after the walk when you're knackered. The bus stop is directly opposite the NP headquarters. This would probably save about an hour and a half on your return journey from Pitlochry.

Let me know if you need any more help and I should be able to sort something out..
major ac
Mountain Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:43
Fionas:16   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:44   Islands:4

Re: Long stay parking in Drymen

Postby mrriff » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:31 pm

Thanks for the reply major ac.

I've looked into other travel possibilities and thought that it might be easier to drive up and park in Pitlochry and travel to Drymen on the train and bus. I've phoned the tourist information centre at Pitlochry and they've given me a couple of good options. This way the van is at the end of the walk rather than finishing the walk and then having to travel back to Drymen.

If things change i'll be in touch
mrriff
Mountaineer

Munros:4   
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:4   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion