walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Five Climbs, Five Islands - BBC2 Tonight

Re: Five Climbs, Five Islands - BBC2 Tonight

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:59 am

Caberfeidh wrote:I had to turn it over because of the second's constant irritating "encouragement". If a second did that to me I'd drop a rock on his face...

Yeah, I'd give him a kiss... of the Glaswegian variety!!!
pollyh33

Postby rambler » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:25 pm

Paul Webster wrote: But surely Harris and Lewis are the same island, really :shifty:

:shock: :shock:
rambler
Hill Bagger

Postby mountain coward » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:40 pm

Paul Webster wrote:Hmmm a record, five new climbs on five different islands in 5 days eh? But surely Harris and Lewis are the same island, really :shifty:

well the locals class it as two... not sure why really. But are there any climbs on Lewis? Must have been sea-stacks or something for that one...
mountain coward

Postby FloozySuzie » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:24 am

I said that to my friend who's from Stornoway. She went all funny with me, it was strange. 100% correct though. She then said 'That's like saying Scotland and England are the same country'. I was like eeeeeh Sarah, it blatantly isn't. :?
FloozySuzie

Postby rambler » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:33 am

FloozySuzie wrote:I was like eeeeeh Sarah, it blatantly isn't. :?

Why? :eh:
rambler
Hill Bagger

Postby FloozySuzie » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:55 am

Well an island is land with water all the way round it is it not? There isn't water between Harris and Lewis.
You can't compare it to Scotland and England, as no-one classes them as separate islands, because they aren't. Just different countries, obviously.
FloozySuzie

Postby mountain coward » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:07 am

Geographically, I found it really confusing that they had Harris which nearly does split in two around Tarbert and gets classed as North & South Harris and then Lewis just continued on from North Harris without any kind of obvious line or division. I wonder they didn't just call Lewis the bit above Tarbert, i.e. North Harris and Lewis, and just called the bit south of Tarbert Harris if they had to have a split at all.
mountain coward

Postby rambler » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:37 am

Prior to the road being built the hills of North Harris and South West Lewis along with Lochs Resort in the west and Seaforth in the east and other numerous inland lochs in that area would have pretty effectively divided the land mass into two distinct parts.

Maybe not the conventional meaning of the word 'island' but must have been pretty logical to the first inhabitants and since that is part of their history and culture it probably means as much to them as being Scottish, English or Welsh.

Until the Western Isles Council was established in 1975 Lewis was part of Ross-shire and Harris was part of Inverness-shire.
rambler
Hill Bagger

Postby mountain coward » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:40 am

And the Uists had a Paisley, Renfrewshire postcode! (PA88) - possibly that was only because the mail had to fly out from Glasgow Airport though?
mountain coward

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:57 am

rambler wrote:Until the Western Isles Council was established in 1975 Lewis was part of Ross-shire and Harris was part of Inverness-shire.

Ross-shire ??!! Ross-shire ??!! Lets not get all unpleasant . It was, and can still be if we all say it and thus cock a snook at petty-officialdom, Wester Ross and Easter Ross. Thus my no-good hoodlum climbing buddy The Pyromaniac was described as "The most dangerous man in all the Rosses..." :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby mountain coward » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:42 pm

That's a grand title - bet he was proud of it! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby MacCookie » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:12 am

mountain coward wrote:And the Uists had a Paisley, Renfrewshire postcode! (PA88) - possibly that was only because the mail had to fly out from Glasgow Airport though?

PA covers Argyle and much of the Inner Hebrides as well.

Ewan
MacCookie
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   

Postby mountain coward » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:24 am

But the Outer Hebrides finally got a Harris postcode (probably about 15 years ago now) of HS...
mountain coward

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion