walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Cape Wrath Trail question

Cape Wrath Trail question

Postby geoff cantrell » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:12 am

Hi, good morning and a question. I'm planning a Cape Wrath walk in May and am looking for somewhere to camp on the way to Rhiconich, either on the river before or in the vicinity, has anyone any info please? The hotel is very appealing, shower, comfy bed, bar etc..but a bit pricey on my budget, so camp it will have to be, any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Geoff
geoff cantrell
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:1

Re: Cape Wrath Trail question

Postby bootsandpaddles » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:25 am

I camped on the ground in front of the hotel, on the opposite side of the river. It was about 10 years ago so things might have changed but nobody objected. So I was able to go in for a pint after dinner!
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby Guinessman » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:26 am

Saw a tent pitched there when I passed on my CWT,by the riverbank. Ground looked a bit rough though. There is a roadside area about 2 miles further on with grassed areas and picnic tables that I have seen being used. I know of a person who kipped in the toilets at Rhiconnich ,if all else fails!!
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:42 pm

Once upon a time ... not too long ago ... tourists without a bed for the night could find (spartan) accommodation in the cells at Rhiconich Police station in an emergency (i.e. when the hotels and B & Bs were full up). Unfortunately - or perhaps fortunately - that option is no longer available as when the station was renovated the cells were done away with ,as crime in the largest "beat" in W Europe was so low. You can still, of course, get yourself arrested, but if you do you'll be spending the night in Dornoch, which isn't exactly convenient for the CWT.
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

Postby Will N To » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:41 am

On the Cape Wrath Trail: How many camping/bothy/booji :wink: (B&B, hotel...) nights do most people spend? What are the long stretches with no bothies? Do most people usually stay in a bothy when one's available?
(I joined the Bothy Association, thinking that I'd be taught the special handshake, and given the secret map to all the bothies....and well if I intend to use 'em a few bucks in advance seems only right. But there is a handshake right? )
I've got the guide book, but as a foreigner of course it still all seems so mysterious...
Will N To
Scrambler

Postby Ossian22 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:07 am

DSCF4904.jpg

Not the best of camping spots but probably do-able, the shot was taken from the old bridge at Rhiconich last May so the vegetation will likely be the same for your trip. What about a couple of miles back up the glen, there are flatter areas by the lochside. By the Garbh Allt for instance
Ossian22
Mountaineer

Munros:112   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion