walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Anyone stayed at the Backpackers hostel in Tarbert , Harris

Anyone stayed at the Backpackers hostel in Tarbert , Harris

Postby Spunge » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:45 pm

Accommodation is Tarbert is hard to find but we are planning to stay at the hostel for a few days. There will be 15 days worth of clothes and other assorted hiking gear with us. Just like to know if there are secure lookers available in the hostel to stash our stuff while we are away hiking for the day ? As I said there is a lot of gear and I don't want leave it lying around.

Thanks.
Spunge
Bird-watcher

Re: Anyone stayed at the Backpackers hostel in Tarbert , Ha

Postby malky_c » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:25 pm

I haven't stayed there (have used the hostel at Drinishader a few miles south), but being on the Western Isles where no-one locks their doors and crime is virtually non-existent, I doubt you'd have any problems.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby crfishwick » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:26 pm

Spunge wrote:Accommodation is Tarbert is hard to find but we are planning to stay at the hostel for a few days. There will be 15 days worth of clothes and other assorted hiking gear with us. Just like to know if there are secure lookers available in the hostel to stash our stuff while we are away hiking for the day ? As I said there is a lot of gear and I don't want leave it lying around.

Thanks.

I have stayed there 3 years ago! Very basic unless it has been refurbished. As for secure lockers there was none. A very laid back hostel without an on-sight warden.

See: http://www.backpackers-stop.co.uk/

Quote from their website:

Tariff

£20.00 per person per night (Tariff rises to £22.00 from 1st March)

We take no responsibility for personal belongings or injury to your person whilst staying in the hostel.
crfishwick

Postby Guinessman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:55 pm

Stayed there last year doing The Hebridean Way. Cost was £20 which included breakfast. Warden was present when I booked and I got the impression was present during working hours. As has been said no lockers available and no locks on bunk room doors
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:40 pm

Probably best to just call/e-mail and ask their advice. In that part of the world, its quite likely somebody will be very helpful and say "ach, no problem, you can leave it in the office/shed/pub/sheep pen and it'll be fine".
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby gld73 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:52 pm

I stayed there for 3 nights in summer 2017. It's a nice hostel, great location. Has a small drying room where you're meant to hang any wet stuff so the rooms don't get damp.There aren't lockers though, and the rooms aren't locked. It was all walkers and cyclists staying there when I was there, so hopefully all reliable types who wouldn't nick anything?? As the only hostel in Tarbert itself, and right by the ferry terminal, it's where anyone looking for cheap accommodation would stay though, so I guess no guarantees.

Maybe if you just make sure you get all your hiking gear wet, muddy and smelly enough, no-one else will want to take it :lol:
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby mynthdd2 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:08 am

bit further out of Tarbert is a great wee hostel at Rhenigidale
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby crfishwick » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:34 am

mynthdd2 wrote:bit further out of Tarbert is a great wee hostel at Rhenigidale

The problem with this hostel is that "a bit further out" is actually 13 miles away. :lol: Plus it seems that the enquirer has not the use of transport. So therefore a long walk or a bus.

Quote from their Website:
"No advanced bookings can be taken so we are unable to forecast future availability"

Seems a bit hit and miss to me that. :?
crfishwick

Postby nigheandonn » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:47 am

The Gatliff trust hostels are all like that - they say they're basically never full, and if they are there are camp beds. (I've only stayed at Bernaray so far, but I'll get to Rhenigidale some day.)

However, if the OP is uncomfortable in Tarbert with a keycode lock on the front door, I can't see them being comfortable at Rhenigidale where even the front door doesn't lock.

(FWIW, I've never used a locker in a hostel, and never had trouble with stuff going missing, even in ones with real keys where no one remembers to lock the bedroom door - and I think the chances of trouble in Tarbert are very small. But it's up to the OP what they're happy with.)
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby mynthdd2 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:59 pm

I agree its a bit far by road from Tarbert to Rhenigidale (alternatively consider the bus to Stornoway and ask for a drop off for a short 2 mile walk to the hostel) but try the walk in from Tabert itself ie the Postman's Path....chances are good for seeing eagles, otters etc but tbh I did once see a Basking Shark snuggled up at the Tarbert jetty whilst a Calmac waited patiently...

You could always leap on the excellent bus service and head for Horgabost camp site - surely the most stunning campsite in Scotland

PS look out for the seagulls outside the chippy next door to the Tarbert hostel - they will take your arm off

PPS make sure you have enough food and drink from Murdo's before the Sunday curfew

PPPS great grub at the Hebridean Hotel which has improved since the last one burnt down and somewhat bizarrely they set up a pub/bar in what was effectively a bouncy castle....

PPPPS a 'cur failte gu-Eileanan Siar
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion