walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

John O'Groats trail

John O'Groats trail

Postby trekker53 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:54 pm

For information about the John O'Groats trail see below. In near future there will be a guide book and a Harvey's map available.
If you've done other trails why not try this one. Very dramatic coastal scenery when you get to Caithness.
CPS Final Version JOG Trail Mid   Blue  Front_Page_1-800x560.jpg
CPS Final Version JOG Trail Mid   Blue  Front_Page_2-600x844.jpg

The Friends of the John o'Groats Trail have published a flyer to publicise the coastal walking route from Inverness to John o'Groats which takes in some of the most beautiful and dramatic coastal scenery in the UK. The trail is 147 miles long but is divided into 14 stages each of which can be walked in a day. The stages or parts of stages make for interesting shorter walks for those not intending walking the complete trail.
trekker53
Munro compleatist

Munros:215   Corbetts:88
Fionas:42   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Re: John O'Groats trail

Postby nick70 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:28 pm

Thanks for posting. I've never been up to the North East of Scotland. It looks a lovely route, maybe one to plan for next year. :D :D
nick70

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:52 pm

Thanks for posting this.

I've been doing a bit of research on Land's End to John O'Groats (hoping to do this in the next couple of years) and read a lot of reports that refer to the amount of road walking once north of Inverness. Some people did try to stick to the coastline but found it difficult.

I've had a peep on the website and it will help to plan which stages I can use and which to avoid (I don't get on well with barbed wire!!).

Thanks again.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby trekker53 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:56 am

Thanks nick70 and gordie12 for considering this trail. Should gain more interest once guide book and map are available. Keep an eye on the website.
trekker53
Munro compleatist

Munros:215   Corbetts:88
Fionas:42   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:53 am

And while your in the North, look out for Wally the Walrus, he has come South for his holidays ~ http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-43509060
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion