walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

What's your oldest piece of kit?

Re: What's your oldest piece of kit?

Postby perr » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:06 pm

Andre Jamet tent from the 1960s. Suffered a bit from mice but useable. Also a Blacks down sleeping bag from 1974, still excellent. :D
perr
Munro compleatist

Munros:265   Corbetts:3

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:36 am

Lightfoot2017 wrote:A Berghaus L/BC 55L rucksack... circa1984. Bought when I was a student. I took it Inter-railing with me in the mid 80s, and a couple of cross-USA road trips in the early 90s.

It mostly gathers dust in the cupboard now, but it occasionally gets an outing when my kids use my better, more modern, rucksacks.

I didn't know when I bought it, but the 'L' stands for Ladies model. The sneaky bar-steward in Tisos in Aberdeen didn't tell me at the time. :lol:

A quick update on my 1984 LBC 55l Berghaus rucksack. An obituary infact. It has now gone to the great bothy in the sky (or the nearest Fife Council landfill site).

Quite sad to have to bin it. :( I hadn't realised it's possible to get emotionally attached to kit. But it had to go; the interior lining was flaking badly and was making such a mess. It looked like it had a bad case of scabies. :shock:
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:181   
Fionas:1   

Postby WallaceJohnston » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:38 am

I bought my Karrimat 1971 from the original Graham Tiso shop in Edinburgh. It's a bit different from the ones you get these days, first of all because it's plain white (or actually a rather grubby grey now) - in those days they hadn't started adding colour. It's also a rather odd size - 100x66 cm. A bit short but having it so wide does mean that you can roll over without falling off the side. I think that the size was just what was being produced for some other application - it wasn't until later that they started making them specifically for camping.

However, my oldest item of kit would be the bit of nylon tape I was to tie up my Karrimat. That was bought some time in the mid 60's to tie my sleeping bag onto the top of my Bergan rucksack for scout camping trip!
WallaceJohnston
Munro compleatist

Munros:200   Corbetts:191
Donalds:4

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:38 pm

WallaceJohnston wrote: I think that the size was just what was being produced for some other application - it wasn't until later that they started making them specifically for camping.

I got myself a nice bit of Karrimat material many years ago; it was wrapped around a plastic waterpipe which was delivered on a huge cable-reel to a hospital where I worked. Maybe that was what it was made for originally, packaging/protection. I also remembered an older thing I have but no longer use as they split - a pair of real birchwood and carribou-gut snowshoes, with the government arrow mark stamped on the side and the words "War Dept. 1944". :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Booga » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:31 pm

I have a pair of Salomon boots that are about 16 years old. Been re-soled once but now the uppers are on their way out so they've been downgraded to short or local walks where a leak or split upper isn't going to be a big deal.

My first rucksack was a hand-me-down Wynnster pack from a friend which was probably from the 1990s. It's recently been passed on to someone else and is enjoying its 3rd owner.
Booga
Ambler

Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:5   Islands:12

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion